Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
bhuvana786
Enthusiast
bhuvana786 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Epub Support in Kindle

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me whether Kindle directly supports Epub? I've purchased kindle and placed epub in the document directory, but it is not listed in the menu. I've read an article, which suggested me to convert the epub to mobi using mobigen. Is this the way to view the epub?

thanks,
Bhuvana
bhuvana786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, the Kindle does not support ePub. The PC version of Mobi Reader will convert ePub to Mobi, which the Kindle can read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 04:53 AM   #3
bhuvana786
Enthusiast
bhuvana786 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks
bhuvana786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvana786 View Post
I've read an article, which suggested me to convert the epub to mobi using mobigen. Is this the way to view the epub?
Mobigen is the command line analogue to MobiPocket Creator, and if you have lots of well formed ePubs it might be an efficient way to convert them.

Generally, Calibre does the best job of ePub to MOBI conversion. This can be done via its GUI or its command-line tool, ebook-convert.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does Mobi Creator / Mobigen handle ePubs now? Last time I looked, Mobi Reader would convert them, but Mobi Creator wouldn't. Perhaps there's a new version out since I last checked.
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does Mobi Creator / Mobigen handle ePubs now? Last time I looked, Mobi Reader would convert them, but Mobi Creator wouldn't. Perhaps there's a new version out since I last checked.
You are right about MobiPocket Creator, I should have said MobiPocket Reader. The latest version of mobigen does handle ePubs.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Are you sure about MobiPocket Reader? I have version 6.0 and it doesn't list ePub as one of the files it works with. (And I just tested it and it didn't convert an ePub book.)

Is it only in subsequent versions of MobiPocket Reader that this is the case?
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You'll need to upgrade your Mobipocket Reader in order to get it to handle ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader

It might only be in the beta version. Note that this is beta in name only, since MobiPocket Reader 6.2 has been out for ages.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Definitely works in 6.2.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno

Thanks. If I were to upgrade to 6.2, would the program still recognize the Kindle as a reader and transfer books to it? I seem to recall reading of some issues with this.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No. 6.2 does not recognize the Kindle. It isn't really necessary, though. You can always just drag and drop books to the documents folder of the Kindle manually.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno

Thanks I appreciate the info. I guess I'll update once I find something I can't get in .mobi or .prc format and then do as suggested. Much obliged.