Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #136
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
I know fingernail suggests a "she", but I'm a male :-) I've tried to push my nail in the gap between the cushion-designed back and the side, and found it slipping in at the right side about the 5/4rd to the top. A little pry to the side, and the corner released - from that it was easy. The clamps are unevenly distributed around the sides (and the "type" are also - there are 13 "females" and 3 "males" on the back) I can make some pictures if it necessary (because, for example, my english is not understandable, I know it needs some improvement) - but a little trial-and-error would work to anyone.
Thanks - it is never easy to tell gender, hence the rather horrible "s/he" to avoid offence!

Your English is just fine - far better than any of the languages I claim to have knowledge of! I'll have a go at dismantling my KT over the weekend.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #137
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
What is the technique for opening the Touch? I note clsdclsd says s/he did it with fingernails, but could you a bit more information on where the clips are? Photos, maybe, for the clumsier amongst us ...
I find that guitar picks work well.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #138
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
Quote:
What is the technique for opening the Touch? I note clsdclsd says s/he did it with fingernails, but could you a bit more information on where the clips are? Photos, maybe, for the clumsier amongst us ...
If you're mad enough to attempt this, make sure the device is switched off, and not in "sleep" mode. Wave goodbye to any warranties, support, hand-holding, etc.

Nails, guitar pick, credit card... not steel tools since you'd end up damaging or marking the case. I used an old credit card to get some leverage near the aperture for the switch at the top. While at the same time, avoiding any stress on the switch itself.

Once a narrow opening/fissure appears, try to work around loosening the clips but not bending the panel too much. Try not to attempt further disassembly. The screen assembly is notoriously fragile.

Info to look for
1, "mainboard" version number and revision
2. serial number.
As noted above, not all units will have them. On some units, their locations may be different.

You will however be able to determine...
3. CPU model: iMX507 or iMX508
4. SD: soldered or socketed
5. presence of a steel shielding (if any) around the chipset
6. style of circuit board (see pics above)
7. Any other interesting features of the board. (Photo perhaps?)

8. On the bottom of the case (external), there should be an indication of the country where it was assembled. (Taiwan or China (PRC))

The "model" number printed on the case is: N905 on mine. Is this the case for everyone else?

Last edited by kumaryu; 09-15-2012 at 04:59 AM.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #139
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaryu View Post
If you're mad enough to attempt this, make sure the device is switched off, and not in "sleep" mode. Wave goodbye to any warranties, support, hand-holding, etc.

Nails, guitar pick, credit card... not steel tools since you'd end up damaging or marking the case. I used an old credit card to get some leverage near the aperture for the switch at the top. While at the same time, avoiding any stress on the switch itself.

Once a narrow opening/fissure appears, try to work around loosening the clips but not bending the panel too much. Try not to attempt further disassembly. The screen assembly is notoriously fragile.

Info to look for
1, "mainboard" version number and revision
2. serial number.
As noted above, not all units will have them. On some units, their locations may be different.

You will however be able to determine...
3. CPU model: iMX507 or iMX508
4. SD: soldered or socketed
5. presence of a steel shielding (if any) around the chipset
6. style of circuit board (see pics above)
7. Any other interesting features of the board. (Photo perhaps?)

8. On the bottom of the case (external), there should be an indication of the country where it was assembled. (Taiwan or China (PRC))

The "model" number printed on the case is: N905 on mine. Is this the case for everyone else?
Thanks. Since I bought mine on eBay, any warranty is probably gone anyway. The earliest I'll get chance to have a go at this is tomorrow, but it depends on how much alone-time I get - if my wife sees me taking apart my new device, there will be fireworks!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #140
Vidfamne
Vidfamne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Thanks, syber - I work in an environment where we are taught never to assume gender!

OK - the first ting I see is the 0110 hardware revision number, like mine and one other (WS64, maybe).

Could you send us the contents of the \.kobo\version file, too, syber (instructions here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=27).

Thanks.

I'll update the database when I get home and post v0.0.2 up later this evening.
If you're still interested, Mine is:
N905J28107807,2.6.35.3,2.1.1,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,000 00000-0000-0000-0000-000000000320

Received yesterday in Spain, bought from a Spanish Internetshop.

/z
Vidfamne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #141
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Thanks Vidfamne!

(I think Peakcrew has taken a couple of days off (from the forum), so I'm taking the liberty to thank you in his name...)

I'm assuming you're not experiencing any problems, since 2.1.1 is installed on your device and you're not mentioning anything going wrong.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #142
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Thanks Vidfamne!

(I think Peakcrew has taken a couple of days off (from the forum), so I'm taking the liberty to thank you in his name...)

I'm assuming you're not experiencing any problems, since 2.1.1 is installed on your device and you're not mentioning anything going wrong.
Apologies - it has been exceptionally busy at work (new establishment, new staff, new students, and new IT systems that didn't work as planned), so I've had to concentrate on doing my lesson-plans too close to delivering them ...

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. Thanks for filling-in for me, Mrs_Often
Old 09-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #143
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apologies - it has been exceptionally busy at work (new establishment, new staff, new students, and new IT systems that didn't work as planned), so I've had to concentrate on doing my lesson-plans too close to delivering them ...

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. Thanks for filling-in for me, Mrs_Often
Teehee, you're welcome! But no apologies necessary: real life comes first!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #144
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Teehee, you're welcome! But no apologies necessary: real life comes first!
It does? Since when.....

/me wonders where he can find this so called "real life".
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:28 AM   #145
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
This is the only app that starts when you turn your computer off...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #146
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It does? Since when.....
Well, I'm not sure. It's what I keep trying to tell myself when I get stuck inside my computer screen...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Computer off? What's that?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #147
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
I like that! I like it so much I'm tempted to steal it for my signature!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #148
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Info on another device posted here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0836&page=4#57
Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #149
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Info on another device posted here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0836&page=4#57
Thank you! The current high level of activity at work should settle a bit after this coming week (I've been asked to produce AV lectures for part-time students with only ten days lead time and no equipment to do it )
Old 09-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #150
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you! The current high level of activity at work should settle a bit after this coming week (I've been asked to produce AV lectures for part-time students with only ten days lead time and no equipment to do it )
Good luck with that! Agh!