Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Marrko
Marrko began at the beginning.

Device: eSlick
Kindle DX and Boox M92 comparision

Has anybody got a chance to compare these two in terms of screen as such and displayed text quality?
Marrko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
I don't think screen quality will differ as they both have pearl screen. But i should mention i only own a DX.

In kindle DX text quality is good. Also you can use any font you want on DX with a simple hack. I guess some kind of a solution is possible for M92 as well.

So screen quality shouldn't be your main concern when deciding on one of these two devices.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
I don't think screen quality will differ as they both have pearl screen. But i should mention i only own a DX.
The DXG and the M92 use exactly the same display (same part number), so any difference should be only software related. Anyhow I can't compare them directly either, since I have only got the M92... sorry
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrko View Post
Has anybody got a chance to compare these two in terms of screen as such and displayed text quality?
I can make a comparison, I have an access to the both devices (but not exactly now). What interests you?

I haven't compared them side by side, but from my weak memory of K. DX, it seems to me, DX has whiter white than M92. But side by side comparison would have to be made to confirm my feeling....
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Marrko
Marrko began at the beginning.

Device: eSlick
I would be interested in how the same text looks like on both units; on which one it looks better in terms of being clear, crisp, sharp, presented with better contrast.

Whiher or darker white is also of intrest to me as it is influencing the contrast.

Another thing - speed of turning pages and related to that flashing effect - how noticeable this effect is.
Marrko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Not all pearl screens were made the same, I've heard that the new M92 had some low quality *pearl* screens that makes it darker than the older pearl screens. It's why Onyx engineer can't solve the new *dark M92* phenomenon as they've cheapen out on screens to cut marginal cost..

Also rumor has it that for a batch of Kindle DX, Amazon went cheap on the screens, and they were pretty bad that a lots of customers complained endlessly, but hey, I only read that on a forum, no crediblity source (won't be declassified, as it's part of the trading secrets for each company)
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
Not all pearl screens were made the same, I've heard that the new M92 had some low quality *pearl* screens that makes it darker than the older pearl screens. It's why Onyx engineer can't solve the new *dark M92* phenomenon as they've cheapen out on screens to cut marginal cost..

Also rumor has it that for a batch of Kindle DX, Amazon went cheap on the screens, and they were pretty bad that a lots of customers complained endlessly, but hey, I only read that on a forum, no crediblity source (won't be declassified, as it's part of the trading secrets for each company)
You are going too far in your aversion towards Onyx.
The display is tops, and reading PDFs is quite ok - while being far behind considering Mantano or EzPDF.
So I think all the users going overboard because they can read PDFs and scribbling are actually right - but serious work can't be done this way.
That no objective tests(by some computer publication) are available, just reviews by the company itself and some users, seems kind of odd ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
You are going too far in your aversion towards Onyx.
The display is tops, and reading PDFs is quite ok - while being far behind considering Mantano or EzPDF.
So I think all the users going overboard because they can read PDFs and scribbling are actually right - but serious work can't be done this way.
That no objective tests(by some computer publication) are available, just reviews by the company itself and some users, seems kind of odd ...
Yeah, they should really send some samples to major hardware sites...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrko View Post
I would be interested in how the same text looks like on both units; on which one it looks better in terms of being clear, crisp, sharp, presented with better contrast.

Whiher or darker white is also of intrest to me as it is influencing the contrast.

Another thing - speed of turning pages and related to that flashing effect - how noticeable this effect is.
I will try to do some tests with M92 x K DX. So far I compared M92 and older Kindle (2nd gen.??) (from the same period as DX 2nd) and it seems Kindle is a bit whiter. But it has a dark frame and M92 white. The frame might alter the perception.

Generaly M92 is OK. As I wanted sribling in pdf, M92 or PB 903/912 were the only possible choices AFAIK...
Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
Mono
Mono

So, finaly I had the possibility to test M92 and Amazon Kindle DX (2nd gen.) side by side.

The whiteness of white on screen seems to be the same (or at least comparable), if you make a white paper frame to hide gray margins of K DX.

The darkish frame makes the illusion, the K DX's screen is brighter (whiter) than that of M92.

So, the screen seems to be of the same quality, but the perception is different because of different framing.

It is hard to say, what is better. It is probably dependent on user's needs and preferences. I personaly prefer white frame, as I use 'hide margins' mode and the frame serves as white margin of the page. The price for that is a bit grayish white, comparing to dark frame.

But the difference is not big. Both solutions are good and screens well readable.

It is good that M92 will be available in both - white and dark framing.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
initx
Enthusiast
initx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nokia Lumia 800
I also have a chance to compare my M92 with my colleague's Kindle DX, and also with my old Hanlin V3.

Hardware quality is exactly the same (superb). I wonder, how long M92's buttons will last... but all in all, all devices represent a high-range quality. (Certainly in the future there might be devices with far better use of materials, for example metal case etc. But currently these devices are built quite good.)

The software of Kindle DX is better written, or, software quality requirements / QA is better in the case of such a huge company. But: I have been a proud owner of an M92 for 5 days, and I had only very little problems with the software (firmware 1.7). Once the pen did not want to work, I had to restart the device with buttons. That's it.

But, the innovative features, usability of M92 are way better than that of Kindle DX: the highlighter pen, scribbling, merging scribbles with PDF, navigation bar are such features which are missing from Kindle a lot. So currently M92 is a way better choice -- if one does not miss the amazon store from his or her device.
initx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Mono
Mono

Sure, I agree. My comparison m92 x DX was only display-wise.

Usability and potential of future development of features (and usability) is without question superior for M92.

(I tested DX a year ago and it didn't meet my needs. I need scribling in text.)
Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
DXG is born outdated, I would never recommend it to anyone but for reading mobi files.

For pdf, especially the ones made with static images and multi-columns, its very slow and cannot zoom (no reflow). Has never been updated, it could end his life soon (or could be cut in price).

Boox M92 hands down, but I'd wait to see if there is a decent developement for it, before buying

Screen comparison: they are VERY similar. As backgroung and as black intensity and resolution. If you dont like the font in Boox you can change it.

PS: even if hardware (screen-wise) is the same, waveforms management is different, and this has impact on how crisp fonts result.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-26-2012 at 11:40 AM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote