Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Should I buy a Kindle DX?

I discovered over here in China a place where I can get a new Kindle DX for about $100 less than the retail price in the States. I am having a student ask some questions about it, due to my lack of Chinese, but since I don't know much about them, I thought I would ask here.

Currently, I use my iPod in my classroom to hold in my hand as I write on the board. I have a Kindle 3 and it is fantastic but too small to read my PDF files, especially due to the Math functions I need to use. I did some searching on this site but since I can't search for "DX" (too few letters), I am probably missing some good information. Reading some comments on other sites, it seems that the DX is not really a new model but the Kindle 2 in a bigger package. Is this a problem? Any word if Amazon is planning to come out with a new model?

Will the Kindle DX be of use to me? Is it worth buying for the reduced price? Any information would be appreciated.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I love my DXG because I love the bigger screen. I am not sure that I would recommend a DXG because I do not think Amazon is doing much to support the DXG. I am a bit concerned that the DXG will not have the ability to read the new format that Amazon is putting out.

The DXG is better for PDFs but still not perfect. The font can be pretty small and the zoom function is problematic. There are some programs you can add to make it work better but I am not a fan of hacking my device.

Finally, I would not trust any place that sells the DXG or any other electronic device below Amazon's listed price. I would be worried that the devices were stolen and not fully functional.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I love my DXG because I love the bigger screen. I am not sure that I would recommend a DXG because I do not think Amazon is doing much to support the DXG. I am a bit concerned that the DXG will not have the ability to read the new format that Amazon is putting out.

The DXG is better for PDFs but still not perfect. The font can be pretty small and the zoom function is problematic. There are some programs you can add to make it work better but I am not a fan of hacking my device.

Finally, I would not trust any place that sells the DXG or any other electronic device below Amazon's listed price. I would be worried that the devices were stolen and not fully functional.
Also to add seeing you are in china, it could be a Chinese copy/clone of a official amazon DXG.

They copy almost everything else so I would not be surprised if it was.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Wouldn't buy it as it may be a clone.
What about warranty ?

Once more the DX doesn't seem to have a big future at Amazon. They abandoned it long ago and i doubt it will get any update to support new (or even older) features.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not too worried that it is a copy since it is on Taobao, an eBay-like site that is pretty good at watching out for that kind of stuff. More likely it is an extra run from the factory that is sold by the managers. Pretty common over here. I will get more information today about it. Might also be factory overstock. Don't have much of a choice over here since they are not officially for sale in China anyway. The whispernet bypasses the Chinese Firewall so it is doubtful they will ever be legally available over here.

I still like the idea of a large book reader but the idea seems to be dying out. Knowing me, I will probably pick it up anyway. Can I put my own files on it, like I do with my Kindle 3 (convert and email it to Amazon) or do I have to use a cable? Since there is no wifi, and I can't put my own stuff on my Kindle 3 via 3G, is the cable mandatory?
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If it is a Kindle DXG, then yes, it works the same way as the K3 except that there is no wifi on it. If you don't have 3G then you will have to use the cord. Mine came with the USB cord.

I would be shocked if it was a DXG being sold for that price.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Tom Swift
Addict

Just talked to my student. That price is for a used model. The new models are the same price as in the States. There is no way I am buying used electronics over here in China, so that ends that. Thanks everyone for the information. My next stop is the tech malls in Shanghai to see if there are any Chinese models the same size.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
Just talked to my student. That price is for a used model. The new models are the same price as in the States. There is no way I am buying used electronics over here in China, so that ends that. Thanks everyone for the information. My next stop is the tech malls in Shanghai to see if there are any Chinese models the same size.
I don't know if you have looked around at the rumors, but supposedly early 2012 a new large Kindle like the DXG is coming. I believe that rumor, but it may be different. It may be a touch DXG and it may not have the free limited 3G we are used to. (i.e. the 3G may be more limited.)

One thing for sure is that any NEW DXG will have WiFi.

So I guess the question is what are you looking for?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
Tom Swift
Addict

I just want something light I can hold in my hand as I write on a whiteboard. Yeah, I can probably use paper but it just seems so primitive. I just checked the two big Chinese ebook companies, Hanlin and Hanvon, and they both have 9.7" models but the price is the same as the DX. I will probably wait to see if new models from Amazon appear.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
Tom Swift
Addict

Do you have a link to the rumours discussing a new DX model?
Old 11-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I just want something light I can hold in my hand as I write on a whiteboard. Yeah, I can probably use paper but it just seems so primitive. I just checked the two big Chinese ebook companies, Hanlin and Hanvon, and they both have 9.7" models but the price is the same as the DX. I will probably wait to see if new models from Amazon appear.
I think I'm officially an old man now, at 30. Paper is cool.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Do you have a link to the rumours discussing a new DX model?
Sorry, I don't have one handy, but go to the Amazon Kindle Forums.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:21 AM   #13
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Look for Hanwon E920.
It is supposed to handle pdf annotations better.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #14
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Sorry, I don't have one handy, but go to the Amazon Kindle Forums.
I personally would not bother reading the rumors about the allegedly new DX model.

With its treatment of the current DX model, Amazon has shown how little customer focus matters.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #15
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Yeah i too doubt we will see another 9.7 inch e-ink reader from amazon. They completely abandoned the dx series.

I exchanged my kindle keyboard 3 with kindle DXG and i don't regret it. It is really great for my eyes to read my PDFs and other e-books in a large screen.

Though i can't recommend kindle DXG to anyone as it is a completely abandoned product now. But if you really want a large screen e-ink reader, instead of onyx or hanwon etc. kindle might be a much better choice.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote