Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #16
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
I thought they (SONY) would build a content creation site with at least a single tool that lets you create content for the reader.
There's nothing like that.
How the hell did this site so long to create?
... to put some of their existing docs online and install a phpBB forum...
It's about 2 hours worth of work - testing included.
They didn't even give an LRS to LRF compiler!

NatCh you are right, I hope to find answers to my questions

what bothers me though is that they don't allow you to sell content created with the tools on the site. for any commercial use you need to contact them.
"standard"... my @ss

(Sorry folks, I'm really angry at them)
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, I can see where you'd be torqued from that perspective. I guess I was expecting it to be more of a developer resource, so it's more what I was expecting in the first place.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #18
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Expect the worst & you won't be disappointed.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #19
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic
They didn't even give an LRS to LRF compiler!
Not to interrupt your rant or anything but they did provide a LRS to LRF compiler. They also provided example LRS and LRF projects to use as references. Not very complete examples mind you but they did provide two examples.

And who knows what license terms they will offer when asked. Perhaps, for the right tool, they might even be royalty free.

My major complaint is the time I'm having to spend reporting defects in the BBeBXMLXylogFormat document. They could have had someone spend some of the months past going over that document fixing the obvious errors.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would it be faster/easier/simpler to correct the whole doc and then hand it back to them?
Advert
Old 04-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #21
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

my understanding was that they provided the dll for compilation but not an entire solution such as a command line compiler
Old 04-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #22
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Would it be faster/easier/simpler to correct the whole doc and then hand it back to them?
Sure but they have posting with attachments disabled and no email address listed to which one could send the document.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:59 AM   #23
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic
my understanding was that they provided the dll for compilation but not an entire solution such as a command line compiler
Everything you need to build a Windows tool is provided. A copy of Visual Studio C++ Express (a free download) and 10 lines of C code (provided by Sony), and you've got your very own LRS to LRF tool you can customize to your heart's content.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 AM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Sure but they have posting with attachments disabled and no email address listed to which one could send the document.
Post it here and post a link to it in the PRSLabs forum?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:41 AM   #25
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Everything you need to build a Windows tool is provided. A copy of Visual Studio C++ Express (a free download) and 10 lines of C code (provided by Sony), and you've got your very own LRS to LRF tool you can customize to your heart's content.

But how can you make a LRS in an easy way?

EDIT: Found it out already, Bookdesigner "temp" folder.

Last edited by diabloNL; 04-07-2007 at 06:46 AM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #26
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Post it here and post a link to it in the PRSLabs forum?
Nice try NatCH but if you want a copy you have to go sign up on their board.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist

I have signed up on the board, scotty1024, I'm trying to figure out a way to get a corrected copy back to them since they don't allow you to post attachments on their board.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:00 AM   #28
sic
Addict

what exactly is PRSLabs.com?

I mean...
- they don't give any content creation tools such as an editor
- they don't give any developer tools such as a LRS to LRF compiler
- they do give a closed source DLL but with their licensing they do not encourage any kind of development
- they don't give full documentation
(no documentation of the binary file format) and even the one they give is misleading because -- in my opinion/experience -- it is not fully implemented in the Reader

they published some docs with some info already known and a DLL most interested people already had
just to improve on their crappy company image...
Old 04-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #29
cmumford
Connoisseur
cmumford began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
How long for registration to go through?

I've regesterd, but I think I'm waiting for a confirmation email. How long did this take to go through for you guys?
cmumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #30
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It should be about instant. Check your spam filter or try another address.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote