Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #121
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I'm wondering if I should get a refund, and then pay the extra for an Earl if I still want to buy one in a few years time (when they are finally available).

I'm starting to wonder if they have their software act together, seeing how they clearly don't have their hardware act together. And software is the key to making an eInk screen look good under Android.
Plus there's the fact that if you stay on as a backer, you'll receive your 30% or 15% lifetime discount from squigle as well. That alone has made me shrug my shoulders and just decide to wait it out.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #122
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Myself, I treat it as a sunk expense. If I take a vacation, I have nothing left but memories...

Either I'll get the device, or it's a writeoff. It won't be the first writeoff in my life....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #123
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kickstarter is an investment in a startup, not a purchase from a store.
For what it's worth, the last crowd sourced thing I contributed to that involved a Chinese mass production was also delayed several times, but they eventually succeeded and I got my item. Seems mass producing and importing goods always has surprising challenges to first timers....wait until they try to get these earls through customs!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #124
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Kickstarter is an investment in a startup, not a purchase from a store.
For what it's worth, the last crowd sourced thing I contributed to that involved a Chinese mass production was also delayed several times, but they eventually succeeded and I got my item. Seems mass producing and importing goods always has surprising challenges to first timers....wait until they try to get these earls through customs!
Earl was never on Kickstarter, it was crowdfunded by the company itself on their own website.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #125
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_R View Post
Earl was never on Kickstarter, it was crowdfunded by the company itself on their own website.
Really? That's pretty impressive considering they didn't benefit from the press Kickstarter and Indigogo had been getting.
Any way, replace 'kickstarter' with 'crowd funding' and same same.
Advert
Old 11-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #126
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Quote:
Really? That's pretty impressive considering they didn't benefit from the press Kickstarter and Indigogo had been getting.
Any way, replace 'kickstarter' with 'crowd funding' and same same.
Actually I expected more out of an already established company than I would of a startup on kickstarter. From the very start there were long periods on no communications, forums being shutdown (they did eventually start them backup), broken promise after broken promise. All that and more led me to ask for my investment to be refunded.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #127
ApK

If they were an established company, why the crowd funding?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #128
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If they were an established company, why the crowd funding?
as far as I understand it, it's only an established company in that they have a name and a staff. I believe EARL is the first product to be created, manufactured and sold by Squigle Inc.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #129
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Kickstarter is an investment in a startup
Well, no. If you were investing in a startup, you could expect returns in the event they turned a profit. When you crowdfund, the most you'll ever get is the product itself (and/or any additional rewards they offer). It's not investment, just speculative consumerism.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #130
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Well, no. If you were investing in a startup, you could expect returns in the event they turned a profit. When you crowdfund, the most you'll ever get is the product itself (and/or any additional rewards they offer). It's not investment, just speculative consumerism.
You're investing, and your potential return is the reward, and possibly other rewards or discounts in the future, and also in some cases, the reward of helping out an entreptenuer, or even society. It does not need to work like stocks and bonds to be an investment.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #131
AlbertaCowboy
Guru

There's a new video posted by EARL forum user ToddCady where he has a sit down with Jon from Squigle showcasing what's been developed so far. Hopefully this can put to bed some of the "vapourware" fears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktw-...ature=youtu.be

After watching the video, I was really impressed with both the flexible screen, and the refresh speed.

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 01-22-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #132
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Realy really cool. Can't wait...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #133
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Realy really cool. Can't wait...
Actually you can. Wait, that is. Or rather, have to.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #134
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
jan 27 update up on the site. http://www.meetearl.com/updates/
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:07 PM   #135
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
The problem with crowdsourcing hardware so far has been that people with great ideas have not had much experience in sourcing and getting the stuff manufactured. So it takes them time to iron out the problems.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
earl, gps