Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #706
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@sophieturgeon - does the ePub have any words in it - it is possible to have a book composed entirely of images - ie a picture book (comic) ?

Is there a word count in the log, as in

Count Page/Word Statistics
-------------------------------
Logfile for book ID 245 (Test Book)
Found 94047 words
InputFormatPlugin: EPUB Input running
on C:\_CalTemp\calibre_r2ub25\bsv4pg_count_pages\245. epub
Found HTML cover titlepage.xhtml
Word count: 94047

The column you created for the word count must be Integer, as in

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	132915

If they don't help can you post screen captures of the PI customisation and custom column(s) definitions - use the Manage Attachments button below the Submit & Preview buttons

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #707
sophieturgeon
Trouble
sophieturgeon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Actually, while reading your post, an idea came to me. I think things may be working. Give me an hour and I will be able to confirm. You are a genius!
sophieturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #708
sophieturgeon
Trouble

I just tried to add the page and word info to 121 books. It work for all but 4 books. I believe the problem for these 4 books is because thy are from a publishing company for which we don't have a plugin yet. Of course it was a user problem: all the columns were created correctly except the names of the columns had the # in front of it. And I had put a 1 in the Format for Numbers field. Again, Thank you so very much!
Old 12-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #709
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophieturgeon View Post
I just tried to add the page and word info to 121 books. It work for all but 4 books. I believe the problem for these 4 books is because thy are from a publishing company for which we don't have a plugin yet. Of course it was a user problem: all the columns were created correctly except the names of the columns had the # in front of it. And I had put a 1 in the Format for Numbers field. Again, Thank you so very much!

The '#' in front of the Custom column lookup name is needed in searching, templates etc, but not when specifying the Custom column. I think the '#' acts as signal to calibre processing code that the column in question is a Custom column rather than a Built-in column.

If you're happy with 34567 then there is no need to format, but if you wanted 34,567 or 34.567 you would use "{:,}" or "{:.}" as the format. You may find this blog post on python formatting easier to comprehend than the the one in the calibre documentation ==>> Python String Format Cookbook. It covers the 10% of what I need to know, to do 90% of what I need to do.

It would be 'good' if the PI computed a word count if it can't download one. I use computed values - its generally faster than downloading from Goodreads, besides most of my books aren't on Goodreads. I only use the Word Count as a 'clue' as to the relative size of the book.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-25-2014 at 11:11 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #710
sophieturgeon
Trouble

Thanks, you are right it does work better
Advert
Old 01-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #711
roryok
roryok began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I've installed this plugin but can't get it working. Here's what happens:

When I press the "Count Pages" button on the toolbar, I get this message

"You must specify custom column(s) first. Do you want to configure this now?"

I click OK, and get the "Customize Count Pages" dialog. However I can't choose anything for Custom Column, or Readability Options. When I click on the dropdowns, they are blank

When I press OK nothing changes, but the dialog vanishes. Pressing the toolbar button brings up the same message and dialog over and over again.
roryok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #712
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roryok View Post

I click OK, and get the "Customize Count Pages" dialog. However I can't choose anything for Custom Column, or Readability Options. When I click on the dropdowns, they are blank
You have to create the custom columns first. Go back to the first post in this thread and look for the section 'Creating a Count Custom Column'.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #713
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by roryok View Post

When I press OK nothing changes, but the dialog vanishes. Pressing the toolbar button brings up the same message and dialog over and over again.
See that Blue blank? It needs you to PICK a custom (integer) column name from the list.

The PI does NOT crate columns. You need to have it in place already. Use Calibre Preferences:add your own columns
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:38 AM   #714
roryok
roryok began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
See that Blue blank? It needs you to PICK a custom (integer) column name from the list.

The PI does NOT crate columns. You need to have it in place already. Use Calibre Preferences:add your own columns
Doh. Seems obvious now. Thanks!
roryok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #715
alvareo
Enthusiast
alvareo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Any way to recover the original embedded pagecount on the files? I just stupidly applied this to all books and the results weren't very good; in some books, pages are half of what they used to (and should) be.

Last edited by alvareo; 01-13-2015 at 04:30 PM.
alvareo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #716
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvareo View Post
Any way to recover the original embedded pagecount on the files? I just stupidly applied this to all books and the results weren't very good; in some books, pages are half of what they used to (and should) be.
That page count is related to the current paper version of the book at the time the eBookw as made. So it's not all that useful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #717
alvareo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That page count is related to the current paper version of the book at the time the eBookw as made. So it's not all that useful.
Isn't that the whole point of pagecounts, though, as long as it's the equivalent print edition?
Old 01-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #718
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Isn't that the whole point of pagecounts, though, as long as it's the equivalent print edition?
Not at all. The point of page counts is to get an idea of how large the eBook is. It's not to match the print edition. Adobe uses a specific routine to count pages that doesn't change if you change any eBook settings like font size.

Now, when a book starts off as hardcover, it has a specific page count, then a trace paperback comes out and the page count is now different. Then the mass market paperback and again a different page count.

So the eBook page count should be different as it's not the same as any of those paper versions. You get used to the Adobe page count and it works very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #719
alvareo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not at all. The point of page counts is to get an idea of how large the eBook is.
Don't you already get that with the location count, though? For me at least, the point of page counts is so I can know where I would be if I were reading the equivalent print edition, it's not of much use to me otherwise.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #720
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Don't you already get that with the location count, though? For me at least, the point of page counts is so I can know where I would be if I were reading the equivalent print edition, it's not of much use to me otherwise.
The problem with this is: which print edition? And locations are only for Amazon books, so no, I don't get it in my Kobo
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin