Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I popped off a mail to support@bookeen.com about this.

And about something else as well: popup notes in Mobi ebooks are not displayed when they are too large to fit on the screen. Instead, the Cybook goes to the 'Scanning library' screen (the three dots & reader one) and drops into the library. Opening the book again leaves you at the last page synced to the bookmark file, which isn't always the actual last page read :-(

We'll see what develops.
I got a reply from Bookeen:

Dear Marco,

Thank you for your feedback and your fine analysis of these two issues.

The first "date issue" has been already solved. The fix will be added in the
next firmware upgrade which should be released in the next few weeks. In
fact, the system date was not maintained via the Cybook RTC (Real Time
Clock). It will be the case in the next release. The dates will remain
coherent and the Library system will work.

You are the first to tell about the issue concerning the big popup notes. It
is clearly a bug, and we will work on it to solve this issue in a next
firmware upgrade.

Thanks again,

Bookeen Team
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's very good news!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
What is popup notes? How do you generate them in the MobiPocket format?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
What is popup notes? How do you generate them in the MobiPocket format?
You add them on the Windows MobiPocket Reader - right click on any word and select "Add Note" from the popup menu (I think the Pocket PC version lets you add them too). i think they get stored in the ".mbp" file, and that they show up as hyperlinks if you copy that file to the Gen3.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You add them on the Windows MobiPocket Reader - right click on any word and select "Add Note" from the popup menu (I think the Pocket PC version lets you add them too). i think they get stored in the ".mbp" file, and that they show up as hyperlinks if you copy that file to the Gen3.
So Gen3 shows these notes but you cannot generate them on the Gen3? Since i assume that the reader does not changet the prc file all information must be in the mbp file. Is the mbp file then a standardized file that works the same on all platforms and that is compatible between platforms?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #21
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hm, I didn't know you could do that! :-).

No, that's not what I meant. The popups I mean look like regular links, but instead of going to another place in the document they pop up a rectangular window with the text in it.

The notes you van add in PC Reader don't transfer to the Cybook; I tried.

And I have no idea how to generate such 'popup links'; BookDesigner doesn't have an obvious way of doing it that I could find, and Mobipocket Creator doesn't either.

I'll get back to Bookeen, because thay might draw the same conclusion you did.

This book uses the 'popup links' as footnotes, and has some that have the problem: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook18610.htm
Old 01-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #22
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I sent an email to Bookeen too and described the issue in this thread (1st issue) as well as the bookmark issue in a different thread here (2nd issue). Today I received a response from Bookeen:

Quote:
You describe 2 known issues:

1) The first issue is well identified and an internal software build already solves it. We are finishing its testing before releasing this piece of code in the next software upgrade.
2) The second issue has also been identified. We have made some software modifications which enhance the system behaviour but without completely stabilizing the bookmark feature.

We will release in the next few weeks a software upgrade which fixes at least the first issue. We have no final release date yet, but we work to find a definitive solution to the bookmark issue and integrate it at the same time.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Hm, I didn't know you could do that! :-).

No, that's not what I meant. The popups I mean look like regular links, but instead of going to another place in the document they pop up a rectangular window with the text in it.

The notes you van add in PC Reader don't transfer to the Cybook; I tried.
Thanks for the clarification - apologies for the misunderstanding!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #24
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification - apologies for the misunderstanding!
No problem; I can well understand the confusion. If I had known about the 'Add Note'-functionality in Mobipocket Reader, I'd have worded it differently.

I have clarified this to Bookeen as well; they haven't responded yet.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 AM   #25
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
I got a reply from Bookeen:

Dear Marco,

Thank you for your feedback and your fine analysis of these two issues.

The first "date issue" has been already solved. The fix will be added in the
next firmware upgrade which should be released in the next few weeks. In
fact, the system date was not maintained via the Cybook RTC (Real Time
Clock). It will be the case in the next release. The dates will remain
coherent and the Library system will work.

You are the first to tell about the issue concerning the big popup notes. It
is clearly a bug, and we will work on it to solve this issue in a next
firmware upgrade.

Thanks again,

Bookeen Team
I just tried my first library ebook. Of course I can't read it on the cybook. Lucky thing I didn't pay the library fee. Good to know bookeen has it already solved and all I have to do is wait for the upgrade.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:14 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This one was fixed in firmware v538, Christine. Are you running that? If so, there's a simple procedure to set the Gen3's clock which sorts out the issue with library books.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #27
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This one was fixed in firmware v538, Christine. Are you running that? If so, there's a simple procedure to set the Gen3's clock which sorts out the issue with library books.
What is the simple procedure?

This may sound crazy, but some companies put this type of problem solving on their websites so their customers can find and use the information. Companies who make this type of information freely available to their customers might be assessed as caring about customer satisfaction and customer service.

Last edited by cmbs; 04-08-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #28
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
What is the simple procedure?

This may sound crazy, but some companies put this type of problem solving on their websites so their customers can find and use the information.
Oh, I agree. However, you pretty much have to search through this group's messages for the thread on Clevnet. But I'm going to save you the trouble and post the link. Just scroll down to message #24, download the attached rtc.zip file and follow the instructions. You'll need to change the date in the included file to that of the day you're installing it, but that's easy to do with Windows Notepad or other .txt editor.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=21988&page=2

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #29
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Oh, I agree. However, you pretty much have to search through this group's messages for the thread on Clevnet. But I'm going to save you the trouble and post the link. Just scroll down to message #24, download the attached rtc.zip file and follow the instructions. You'll need to change the date in the included file to that of the day you're installing it, but that's easy to do with Windows Notepad or other .txt editor.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=21988&page=2

Derek
Thanks Derek, it worked.

And I did search but the relevent words either brought up too many hits or no hits. I didn't know to search for Clevnet.

This information, and any other helpful troubleshooters, should be on bookeen's website! If they would just communicate with the customers it'd be a major improvement.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #30
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
Thanks Derek, it worked.

And I did search but the relevent words either brought up too many hits or no hits. I didn't know to search for Clevnet.

This information, and any other helpful troubleshooters, should be on bookeen's website! If they would just communicate with the customers it'd be a major improvement.
One would think it *was* on Bookeen's website. But they may have felt - clearly going against history - that, "Hey, we're almost ready to send out the latest update which has this fix, so why bother?" I'll see about having it posted to the Not Another E-Book site.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote