Old 05-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
thomasmorus
Connoisseur
thomasmorus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Author Sort

Hello All

Sorry to bring this up again, nut I could not find a solution

I am Using a Sony 505 with the prs+ software and latest calibre (not Beta). Somehow a laowas gets my books sorted in the Reader on the author field not on the author-sort field

Can Sombody help me

Thanks
thomasmorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the sony doesnt support the author sort field.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmorus View Post
Somehow a laowas gets my books sorted in the Reader on the author field not on the author-sort field
the sony doesnt support the author sort field.
Kovid answered the main question. It seems that the Sony gathers the info from the Author metadata for the Books by Author lists.

But if sorting via author last name is your preferred method then since you have PRS+ installed it is easy to do. You can browse by folder and all of the //database/media/books/ book folders are listed by the author's last name first followed by the first name.

Not quite what you were looking for but there non the less.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
thomasmorus
Connoisseur
thomasmorus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Thanks guys

I thought so, but hoped this was solved

thanks guys
thomasmorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:54 AM   #5
superplinio
superplinio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
I am concerned also about this issue

May be sending to the Sony device the Author Sort field instead the Author Name can fix it.

Also although the data is correctly stored in the device folders as "Surname, Name" in the folders of the library the author appears "Name Surname". I know that the Calibre intention is to browse the library through the program and not through the folder navigator, but sometimes the latter is the quickest way to locate/copy books ¿Is there any way to fix it?
superplinio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superplinio View Post
Also although the data is correctly stored in the device folders as "Surname, Name" in the folders of the library the author appears "Name Surname".
Kovid has decided this is the structure of Calibre's database? Don't look under the hood and it shouldn't bother you.

Quote:
I know that the Calibre intention is to browse the library through the program and not through the folder navigator, but sometimes the latter is the quickest way to locate/copy books
The latter should never be the quickest way. The search and export features are very simple and very strong and should always be quicker then poking around the database. The more books you have the larger calibre's advantage.

Quote:
¿Is there any way to fix it?
No, The database structure is set for the foreseeable future.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

May be sending to the Sony device the Author Sort field instead the Author Name can fix it.

Also although the data is correctly stored in the device folders as "Surname, Name" in the folders of the library the author appears "Name Surname". I know that the Calibre intention is to browse the library through the program and not through the folder navigator, but sometimes the latter is the quickest way to locate/copy books ¿Is there any way to fix it?
Quickest way?
Besides typing some search words into the search tool?

Click the column head to sort list
or use the Luggage Tag

You have some mighty powerful (and fairlt simple to use) tools available

Of coarse:
GIGO still applies
If your Meta-data is a Mess:
(and it will be if you blindly accept what is pulled in )

The worst has to be Publisher.
Variants on the Publishing house's name
(Baen Publising Ent. , Baen, Baen Books ... )
the Distributors name.
My choice is to use the "Imprints" (basic) name
(DAW instead of DAW Fantasy or DAW Science Fiction)

Spacing and Punctuation in the Authors name.
A few minutes with the Tag Browser and Bulk Meta-data editor will fix all this
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

And here we see the perils of necroposting: This was changed a few releases ago, and calibre now sends the Author-Sort field, so we Sony users have our books sorted properly now.

Quote:
Also although the data is correctly stored in the device folders as "Surname, Name" in the folders of the library the author appears "Name Surname".
The data in calibre's library folders is also correctly stored. Please read the first post of the thread linked in my .sig.

Quote:
I know that the Calibre intention is to browse the library through the program and not through the folder navigator, but sometimes the latter is the quickest way to locate/copy books.
I can't see how rummaging around with a file manager could possibly be faster than a few keystrokes in calibre. You want all your Burroughs books? Type "burr" and there they are. You want all your computer manuals? Click your "manuals" tag in the list. You want to load everything from the Baen Free Library onto an SD card to give to a friend? Click its tag, control-A to select all, and export to your SD card. Trying to find everything with your file manager, picking the right formats, etc., no matter how the books are organized, can't begin to compare.

But in any event, there are no user serviceable parts inside. Go read that post. Really.

Quote:
¿Is there any way to fix it?
No, it can't be fixed because it isn't broken.

Calibre's private library is the equivalent of a database. It's not meant for users' eyes, let alone for gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. It's not laid out for the convenience or efficiency of anyone but calibre. Your ebooks are still where you left them when you imported them into calibre; if you want to access them directly, use those, or export updated copies. Just pretend calibre's library doesn't exist. Use calibre.

I'm sorry if I sound a little short, but every couple of weeks we get one of these "I want to use calibre, but I don't want to use it the way it was intended, so you need to change it for me" posts. That's not how calibre works. That's not what it's for. That's not what it's all about. And that's not going to change.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
superplinio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
And here we see the perils of necroposting: This was changed a few releases ago, and calibre now sends the Author-Sort field, so we Sony users have our books sorted properly now.
With the latest version of calibre and the Sony eReader PRS-600 this is not true... the books appear sorted by Author name, at least in my device

Quote:
I can't see how rummaging around with a file manager could possibly be faster than a few keystrokes in calibre.
Well, if you have to copy all of your Asimov books to a friend for me it is easier to go to the Asimov folder and make a zip file and put it into an email. But this is a specific situation and you are right that normally using calibre will be faster.

But what is important for me is the Author sort in the Sony device, the paragraph about the internal format of the calibre database was only a related question
Old 07-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Well, if you have to copy all of your Asimov books to a friend for me it is easier to go to the Asimov folder and make a zip file and put it into an email. But this is a specific situation and you are right that normally using calibre will be faster.
type asimov in the search bar, select all books, click the connect share button and select email to
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:37 AM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm looking at my 505 right now, and the books are listed in author-sort order.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:42 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Quote:
With the latest version of calibre and the Sony eReader PRS-600 this is not true... the books appear sorted by Author name, at least in my device
I'm looking at my 505 right now, and the books are listed in author-sort order.
I believe you are both correct. To use author_sort on your Sony vice author you have to go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugin - Sony device interface and customize the plugin. See attached image.

To fully convert every book on your reader you may have to delete the books and reload them after you customize the plugin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony_plugin.png
Views:	347
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	55974  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-01-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
superplinio

[QUOTE=dwanthny;1036214]I believe you are both correct. To use author_sort on your Sony vice author you have to go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugin - Sony device interface and customize the plugin. See attached image.

It tried what you explain in the Sony PRS-600 Device and it works but in a strange way.

First it seems not to work since the books added where sorted by author name. But the next time you reconnect the device an add a new book the older books magically are ordered by author sort, with the name of the author being "surname, name" and not "name surname".

Only the new added book appears with "name surname" layout in the author name, but this changes when you add a new book. Shutting down the device doesn't arrange the situation, only adding a new book changes de author name of the rest.

Should this be a candidate for a bug ticket?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
First it seems not to work since the books added where sorted by author name. But the next time you reconnect the device an add a new book the older books magically are ordered by author sort, with the name of the author being "surname, name" and not "name surname".
What is the 'manage metadata' preference set to: manual, on send, or automatic?
Quote:
Only the new added book appears with "name surname" layout in the author name, but this changes when you add a new book. Shutting down the device doesn't arrange the situation, only adding a new book changes de author name of the rest.
Are you referring to the display on the Sony or calibre's device display?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
superplinio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
What is the 'manage metadata' preference set to: manual, on send, or automatic?
Manage metadata is at "manual". Should it be at "automatic"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are you referring to the display on the Sony or calibre's device display?
The display on the Sony device