Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Rob G.
Enthusiast
Rob G. doesn't litterRob G. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
$50 Off Delstar Openbook @ Walgreen's

Apparently my subject line is happening this week. My grandmother wants me to look into this thing for her as she's considering it. I can't find any info on the thing. Regardless, thought I'd mention it incase anyone was waiting for a price drop on this. (And if you know what the heck it is, let me know!)
Rob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I've never heard of it.

Specs:
-----
# Features Ebook Reader
# Stores approx. 700 Ebooks
# MP3 Player
# Picture Viewer
# 1GB Internal Memory
# Standard SD Card Slot
# Rechargeable Battery
Specifications
# 5 inch color TFT screen
# 800x480 Resolution
# Built in Li Polymer Battery
# Supports: ANSI, UNICODE TXT, DOC, PDF, HTML, FB2, PDB, and EPUB Ebook Formats
# Skip, Read, Save, Bookmark, and Delete Bookmarks
# Supports MP3, WMA, FLAC, and AAC Music Files
# Supports JPEG and BMP Image Files
# Music Effects: Rock, Classic, Pop, Bass, and Jazz
© Delstar
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Found it!

Google is your friend

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...n=push-product

$99 this week, no coupon needed, plus $4.99 shipping

While the image shows a black and white screen, the description says it has a color screen, picture viewer, mp3 player. 5" screen.

Reads most common formats: doc, html, epub, txt, pdb, a few more. (I'm assuming unecrypted epub; no mobi or kindle)
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
Google is your friend

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...n=push-product

$99 this week, no coupon needed, plus $4.99 shipping

While the image shows a black and white screen, the description says it has a color screen, picture viewer, mp3 player. 5" screen.

Reads most common formats: doc, html, epub, txt, pdb, a few more. (I'm assuming unecrypted epub; no mobi or kindle)
Hmmm, very interesting...

wonder who the manufacturer is?

I found Delstar, but they don't have anything like this listed.

Last edited by kennyc; 03-07-2010 at 10:41 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Found this in the French MR Forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74975
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
jagfan
jagfan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Delstar is a chinese company that manufacturers a netbook PC. KMart sold them. Not sure this is the same company that makes the ereader but sounds like it could be.

//https://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42458&d=1262566283

Last edited by jagfan; 03-07-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Edit link
jagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfan View Post
Delstar is a chinese company that manufacturers a netbook PC. KMart sold them. Not sure this is the same company that makes the ereader but sounds like it could be.
No, Delstar is a company that re brands the stuff it imports. It doesn't make any of its products.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
Rob G.
Enthusiast
Rob G. doesn't litterRob G. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Thanks all for the help. Yeah, I saw the Walgreen's ad (suppose I should have linked it, huh) but I still wasn't sure. I'm pointing her in the direction of something more mainstream (Kindle/Nook/Sony) as I think this is going to disappoint her. Then again, she may balk at the higher price of the others and buy this anyway. All I know is I don't want to have to be tech support for this thing.
Rob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
kennyc

I think it's pretty interesting myself and am tempted to buy one. I wonder what kind of battery life it gets though and if the SD card is the only way to get data to it (i.e. no USB apparently).
Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Cheapest ebook reader I've ever seen! Might as well buy it and if she likes it someone can get her a bigger brand one for Christmas or something.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
http://delstar.net/multi-function-de...ok-reader.html
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If she mainly wants to read public domain classics and stuff it might be ok. If she wants to read modern titles from big publishers the DRM would need to be removed from anything she wants to read (I'm assuming a bit, but it doesn't appear to support DRM). Battery life doesn't look all that great (I guess you could charge it every night while you sleep). Price certainly seems good. I'm guessing it uses some form of FB Reader for it's reader software.

EDIT: Looking at the manual it definitely doesn't support DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
8 hour battery life. That's reasonable, but wonder what it means by "in ereader mode" Hmmmm....
Old 03-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
8 hour battery life. That's reasonable, but wonder what it means by "in ereader mode" Hmmmm....
I'm guessing it means just reading ebooks rather than listening to music or looking at pictures.

I wish I knew someone who was curious about ebook readers that I could tell about this. It's so inexpensive compared to other ones, it's hardly a risk at all to buy it.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
imaredr posted yesterday that she ordered one. Maybe she has more info.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote