Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How many ebooks do you have atm?
<10 18 12.24%
10 - 20 19 12.93%
20 - 40 13 8.84%
>40 97 65.99%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #46
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Yes, I've used it for that, but given that I seldom have more than 1 or 2 series on the device it's usually not a big deal to manage them manually, along with a text file called <series>_book_order.txt if they're not numbered in the title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I use Caibre's plugboards for this. It auto adds the series to the title for me.
Yes Blossom, I use the Calibre plugboards as well. I just wish I could transfer the info to my KPW (without jailbreaking it), like I was able to do with my K3. I had other collections as well, but they were not as important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutraa View Post
Oh -- and which preposition do others favor: on or in? I would say that I have xx books "on" my kindle, but yy books "in" my Calibre library. OTOH, zz books "on" my HDD.
Ha. I hadn't really thought about it before, but I also say "On my Kindle" and "In Calibre".
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #47
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutraa View Post
Oh -- and which preposition do others favor: on or in? I would say that I have xx books "on" my kindle, but yy books "in" my Calibre library. OTOH, zz books "on" my HDD.
Same here, and xx books "in" the cloud.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #48
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Yes Blossom, I use the Calibre plugboards as well. I just wish I could transfer the info to my KPW (without jailbreaking it), like I was able to do with my K3. I had other collections as well, but they were not as important.
You mean collections? You can always just import them over from your K3.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #49
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
How do you import collections from a k3 to a Paperwhite?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #50
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
How do you import collections from a k3 to a Paperwhite?
From Home/ Cloud / Menu button/ Import my Collections.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #51
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
1,472 books encompassing 293 Collections.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #52
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I have 38 books on my PW. That's only because I haven't had it too long and I tend to save everything to Kindle for PC and run it through Calibre prior to sending it to the Kindle.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #53
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #54
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I honestly don't get it. 100 books per year is considered a fairly high target by many, even on these forums full of readers. 300 per year is a phenomenal rate that few accomplish, unless they're extremely short and easy books or the person has time to read all day. So.... 1000+ books means over 3 years for even the accomplished reader; basically the lifespan of most ereaders before people upgrade them! I see numbers here that translate (based on people's previously stated reading rates) to 10+ years!

I think some of you need your OCD meds to combat your hoarding.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #55
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I honestly don't get it. 100 books per year is considered a fairly high target by many, even on these forums full of readers. 300 per year is a phenomenal rate that few accomplish, unless they're extremely short and easy books or the person has time to read all day. So.... 1000+ books means over 3 years for even the accomplished reader; basically the lifespan of most ereaders before people upgrade them! I see numbers here that translate (based on people's previously stated reading rates) to 10+ years!

I resemble that remark!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #56
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:

It's not just a question of numbers, it's more about choice, surely? I have around 500 books on my e-reader, not because I think I'll read them all one after the other, but because I like to have the choice of what I read when I'm travelling - kind of like carrying my whole paper book collection with me when I travel.

Having said that, I do admit to an element of hoarding when it comes to books
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #57
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
It's partially about choice (just the other night, I was trying to decide what to read and flipped through quite a few collections before I found one that hit the mark). When I'm travelling, I'd like to have the choice of what to read and not be limited to just a few. But it's also about grabbing books when I can. I frequent the "free for a limited time" sorts of newsletters and I grab all the books that sound interesting because I might want to read them and limited-time-only is a good draw. They all get downloaded and sorted into their appropriate collections for that magical moment when the time is right
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #58
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
433 at the moment on my GDX. And as has already been said, it's not the numbers, it's the choices.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #59
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:

I just like having a wide variety of ebooks easily to hand. Some are from Amazon, some are from here at MR, some from places like Smashwords and some are things like Harry Potter fan fictions that I enjoy reading. Not all are fiction either. Currently I have 109 books on my K3 on the subject of writing alone.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #60
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Think of it as a mobile library. It's good to have a wide variety of choices. It's good to know that somewhere on that reader will be a book that fits your mood at a particular time. Moods change, so it is good to have something that covers most of them.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, kindle, poll