Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Latimer, Jonathan: Solomon's Vineyard. v1. 11 July 07

Jonathan Latimer is one of three or four best noir writers of private-eye novels this country [USA] has produced.

This novel had to be cut and censored when it was first published in the early 1940s. (I've read most of Latimer's work, but I haven't read this one. An unexpurgated version was finally published, but I don't think this is that version. I just don't know, not being familiar with both versions, let alone this version.)

CORRECTION: This is NOT one of Latimer's humorous private-eye novels. I'm referring to an earlier post wherein I wrote about this novel.

Here's what I call a "Teaser" (I include these whenver supplied with the book) written in the first-person by the private eye of the novel:

"Listen. This is a wild one. Maybe the wildest yet. It's got everything but an abortion and a tornado. I ain't saying it's true. Neither of us, brother, is asking you to believe it. You can lug it across to the rental library right now and tell the dame you want your goddam nickel back. We don't care. All he done was write it down like I told it, and I don't guarantee nothing.
KARL CRAVEN"

I hope you like this. I love hard-boiled private-eye novels of noir fiction. It's a weakness I have, sort of like eating ice cream.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote