Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #18391
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I finished Mob Rules and... yeah, not going to read more. Pity, as I liked the premise and I liked the world-building, but characterisation, plotting and just simply the writing itself were all rather disappointing.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #18392
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just finished "The Hammer" - the second book in the "General" series by S.M. Stirling and David Drake. This book is the second half of the Baen omnibus "Hope Reborn", which I bought in April 2000 (yes, I'm a little behind on my reading ). The book carries directly on from the first book in the series, and continues the story of Raj Whitehall's quest, guided by an ancient sentient Battle Computer, to unite the planet of "Bellevue", on which an interstellar civilisation collapsed back to 19th century technology a thousand years previously.

Very intense - and very graphic at times - military SF. Extremely enjoyable.

Now on to "The A B C Murders" (US title "The Alphabet Murders") by Agatha Christie.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-23-2013 at 05:42 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #18393
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This book is the second half of the Baen omnibus "Hope Reborn", which I bought in April 2000 (yes, I'm a little behind on my reading ).
Since the Omnibus wasn't published until March 2013, I don't think you could have bought it in April 2000! Perhaps it was The Hammer you bought then? (Although I didn't think the original General series had appeared in ebook form before, having been published from 1991 to 1995, before the Baen ebook store got going.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #18394
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Since the Omnibus wasn't published until March 2013, I don't think you could have bought it in April 2000! Perhaps it was The Hammer you bought then? (Although I didn't think the original General series had appeared in ebook form before, having been published from 1991 to 1995, before the Baen ebook store got going.)
Yes, the omnibus was, as you say, from March 2013, but I had the originals long, long before that. They are among the many ebooks that Baen once sold, but no longer do.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #18395
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Back to Dangerous Women...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I either read or skipped (after starting a story and finding it uninteresting to me) up to BOMBSHELLS in Dangerous Women, then took a break and started reading another Amazon freebie I just got called Illumine (Illumine #1) by Alivia Anders.

I believe I'll read or skip another couple of the Dangerous Women stories, then maybe take another break for another more substantial read and repeat this pattern till I've finally finished reading Dangerous Women.
Wow, Illumine was an unusual indie. As I said it was a freebie from Amazon and I really enjoyed the story as well as the characters. But it was written as if a seventh grader was the author and she spoke English not as a native of the USA, but as if she was from another country and English was a second language that she'd not quite mastered. Also necessary words were left out of sentences as well as incorrect cases being used. Also it apparently had never been edited by a competent book publication editor. But I enjoyed it in spite of all that.

Now back to Dangerous Women!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #18396
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Lord of the Flies by William Golding.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #18397
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just purchased a fine collection of short stories by Jason A.Wyckoff, entitled "Black House and Other Strange Stories," published by Tartarus Press.

I'm still reading this, and the stories are wonderful.

If you like Machen styled horror that is very atmospheric, then you should visit Amazon and do a search on Tartarus Press.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #18398
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Now, reading shorter works from Liaden Universe Constellation, Volume 2. I've read all of these at one time or another, but I'm still looking forward to the re-read. I'm also going to read a full length book at the same time -- the first of the Harry Hole books from Jo Nesbo -- The Bat.
Finished Liaden Universe Constellation, Volume 2. What a delight of old friends!

I haven't gotten much of The Bat read -- not because I'm not enjoying it, but because the Liaden short stories kept my attention. But I'm back to The Bat and enjoying it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #18399
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm nearly done with Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. Good story, but the plot is set up in a somewhat confusing way. I've lost track of who some characters are (audiobook).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #18400
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Finished "The ABC Murders" by Agatha Christie (US title "The Alphabet Murders"). This was her 25th book, originally published in 1936.

A serial killer who murders people in alphabetical order of name taunts Poirot that he cannot be caught.

Pretty good, but not one of her best. This book is notable in that it's the last time we see Poirot's sidekick, Captain Hastings, until the very final Poirot book, "Curtain".
Old 12-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #18401
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Currently making my way through The Almost Girl, YA science fiction by Amalie Howard, and ... it's a mess.

It's an ARC, so perhaps some of the issues will still be fixed before January's release, but I'm not very hopeful - these aren't typos or formatting problems but major timeline (+ plot-related) issues, and since I haven't actually spotted any egregious grammar or proofreading issues, I think the book's supposed to be pretty much finalised.

Pity, as I actually had high hopes for this one, based on the pretty cover and blurb.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #18402
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Finished "The ABC Murders" by Agatha Christie (US title "The Alphabet Murders"). This was her 25th book, originally published in 1936.

A serial killer who murders people in alphabetical order of name taunts Poirot that he cannot be caught.

Pretty good, but not one of her best. This book is notable in that it's the last time we see Poirot's sidekick, Captain Hastings, until the very final Poirot book, "Curtain".
The timing of the release of the two books that had been originally intended for posthumous release was pure Christie. The unexpected outcome of Curtain enhanced the reader's apprehension while reading Sleeping Murder (which actually was released after Christie's death). If she could do do what she did to Poirot in Curtain, what on earth might she have in mind for poor Miss Marple in her final adventure?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #18403
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I am so tempted to try some of these books mentioned, but I'm trying to finish my 'currently reading' list before the end of the year.

I did complete Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. I give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Now, I'm about 5 hours into The Grilling Season by Diane Mott Davidson also in audio. I am also reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple, which was a book club selection. It's pretty funny, but kindof crazy.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #18404
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just finished Solo by William Boyd, the latest James Bond outing. I feel he captured Fleming's authentic voice quite well, though the narrative suffered from some inconsistencies at times. I was also a little irritated by James's reaction every time he engaged in violence - surprised at his over-the-top reaction to the situation, followed by self doubt, followed by self-justification of the act. Every time.

Now wanting a quick read so that I can equal my 2012 total number of reads this year too - 75 - so I have started Wayward, the second in the Wayward Pines series by Blake Crouch.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #18405
Yapyap
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Currently making my way through The Almost Girl, YA science fiction by Amalie Howard, and ... it's a mess.
Finished, and it remained a mess (although the second half was at least a more interesting mess). Ah well.

Decided on my next book based on the good old "so, hmm, what's the most expensive book I've bought in the last couple of years (since I started keeping a spreadsheet in January 2012) and haven't read yet" method, so now I've started The Coldest War, second book in Ian Tregillis' Milkweed Triptych.

I read the first book over a year ago (meaning some 150 books ago), so it's taking me a bit to get back into the flow and remember what exactly we're dealing with. Fortunately there are some helpful reminders in the text, which are useful without being pages-long recaps of the first book or infodumps.