Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #18301
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
I'm late coming to the party but I'm finally getting around to reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. I am so in love with it (v surprised as i don't do horror).
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #18302
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Now I'm reading Dark Eden by Chris Beckett, a British social worker and lecturer. Independently published in the UK and Kobo promo code eligible. I'm only 20 pages in but it does have potential.
Struggled mightily with this one. I'm glad it's over. The plot is in the same vein as Earth Abides (a far superior novel) in that a few humans must start over after a catastrophe. The difference is that in Earth Abides the focus is on the real world issues leading to a gradual descent into the primitive whereas Dark Eden is why progress out of primeval. It's more psychological like a classic sci-fi in that it asks "Why?" with no satisfying answers. The writing was competent with intentional baby talk in dialogue. Expect lots of incest as it's part of the plot. Ending was as expected. Rated D+ [2 stars].

Last edited by Fbone; 12-11-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #18303
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool India Drummond & Robert B. Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Timebound was quite an exciting non-stop ride and I'd surely like Rysa Walker to continue The Chronos Files as a series. It seems that she has written a second novel that is currently unavailable called Time's Twisted Arrow.

Well staying on the freebie trail I've begun reading another freebie that I just got from Amazon called Blood Faerie (Caledonia Fae #1) by India Drummond.
Blood Faerie was quite interesting, but my overall reactions were mixed. Let's just say I was glad to have read it, but I'm not sure that I'll read anything more by India Drummond. Now on to the next Spenser novel, God Save The Child (Spenser #2).

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #18304
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
I'm late coming to the party but I'm finally getting around to reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. I am so in love with it (v surprised as i don't do horror).
Here he is, Merischino. Vlad Dracule... better known as...

Vlad the Impala

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #18305
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"

Apache

Last edited by Apache; 12-12-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #18306
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"

and then there is this imposter.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #18307
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #18308
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Going to give Timebound a try. The price is right, since I've got Amazon Prime.
But first, I digress a bit. OK, I just finished reading The Tomorrow Log, by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller. This is not, specifically, Liaden, though it certainly could be the same universe.

Highly recommended, I simply could not put it down. It does end fairly abruptly, but all the major threads are more or less tied off. However, it definitely gave me the feeling that I'd love to hear more of the adventures of Gem ser'Edreth.

Back to try Timebound.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #18309
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Robert B. Parker & Kerry Greenwood

Quote:
Going to give Timebound a try. The price is right, since I've got Amazon Prime.
Let me know what you think!

Quote:
Blood Faerie was quite interesting, but my overall reactions were mixed. Let's just say I was glad to have read it, but I'm not sure that I'll read anything more by India Drummond. Now on to the next Spenser novel, God Save The Child (Spenser #2).
God Save The Child was sure a speedy read and quite fun as well. In this one I got to meet Susan Silverman so the next new recurring character should be Hawk. Now on to the next book in the Phryne Fisher series called Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher #6) by Kerry Greenwood.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #18310
TheOn3LeftBehind
Bitter Witch
TheOn3LeftBehind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I'm reading A Deed Without a Name: Unearthing the Legacy of Traditional Witchcraft. It's a great read, but I already know the majority of the information, so I'm going to start Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances.
TheOn3LeftBehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #18311
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Hawk is a much more interesting character than Susan Silverman. Plus he changes his mind at some point about what kind of eater/drinker she is. Overall, I don't like the Silverman character, nor the whole relationship. But it's easy, I just skim any section that includes her.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #18312
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
God Save The Child was sure a speedy read and quite fun as well. In this one I got to meet Susan Silverman .....
I'm envious of your position... I'd love to be able to read them all for the first time... instead of re-reading them all for about the 5th... I use the series for longer bus/plane trips. Usually one book equals one ride, no thinking involved, just pure escapism.

Quote:
Hawk is a much more interesting character than Susan Silverman. Plus he changes his mind at some point about what kind of eater/drinker she is. Overall, I don't like the Silverman character, nor the whole relationship. But it's easy, I just skim any section that includes her.
That's what makes horse racing! I like Susan Silverman. She is the quintessential Jewish American Princess. Having been married to two of them, I can really relate. I wouldn't fall in love with her, but I appreciate her role in the series. I like the way all the characters gather together to protect her when needed. But I do agree that Hawk is a much more interesting character with a more deeply developed, if strange, sense of right and wrong.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #18313
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Death in the Clouds" (US title, "Death in the Air"). This was Agatha Christie's 24th book, and her second novel published in 1935, the first being "Three-Act Tragedy".

The plot: Poirot is flying from France to England when a passenger in the plane is murdered with a poison dart, apparently shot from a blowpipe. Poirot investigates the murder.

This is basically a clever variant on the classic "English country house" murder mystery, where the reader (and the detective) knows in advance that the murderer must have been one of the people present at the scene. Well-written, with engaging characters. Very enjoyable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #18314
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: A Cosmic Christmas 2 You edited by Hank Davis. From the November Baen Monthly Bundle. It seems about the right time to read it!
An enjoyable mix of new and classic Christmas-themed SF.

Now: The Turtle Moves! by Lawrence Watt-Evans. A review of the Discworld series.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #18315
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm envious of your position... I'd love to be able to read them all for the first time... instead of re-reading them all for about the 5th... I use the series for longer bus/plane trips. Usually one book equals one ride, no thinking involved, just pure escapism.

That's what makes horse racing! I like Susan Silverman. She is the quintessential Jewish American Princess. Having been married to two of them, I can really relate. I wouldn't fall in love with her, but I appreciate her role in the series. I like the way all the characters gather together to protect her when needed. But I do agree that Hawk is a much more interesting character with a more deeply developed, if strange, sense of right and wrong.

Stitchawl
Agree with everything you just said, apart from being married to two Jewish American Princesses. I reread the whole series back-to-back a couple of years ago, and will probably do so again in a couple of years. I'd love to be finding them for the first time, however.

Reading an early Harlan Coben, Miracle Cure (published 1991). Not up to his more recent standard - a lot of the dialogue and diatribes are heavy-handed and OTT, but it's still not a bad read.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote