Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #18346
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
My vote goes for Suchet as well.
Me too. What's fascinating is that his normal speaking voice is very, very different to his Poirot voice.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #18347
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Turtle Moves! by Lawrence Watt-Evans. A review of the Discworld series.
A pretty good review of the entire series (up to the date the book was written - just before I Shall Wear Midnight was released).

Next: Mars, Inc by Ben Bova. Near-future SF about a crewed trip to Mars.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #18348
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I am continuing the Star Trek: The Fall series with A Ceremony of Losses by David Mack.
He's one of my favorite Star Trek authors so I have hope for this one
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #18349
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
FInished first book in the game of thrones series yesterday, 3/4 way through gemini rising then will read the novella and then onto 2nd book in game of thrones series
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #18350
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams)

Earthly Delights just wasn't interesting me very much and since I was in the middle of a complete re-read of all the Nancy Drew mysteries and took a break from it back in July, I've decided to start it again where I left off, so I'm now reading The Witch Tree Symbol (Nancy Drew #33) by Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams).

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #18351
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Nearly done with Stephen King's The Shining. I will move on to Doctor Sleep when I am done.

Also reading Miguel Syjuco's "Ilustrado".
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #18352
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unhappy Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Earthly Delights just wasn't interesting me very much and since I was in the middle of a complete re-read of all the Nancy Drew mysteries and took a break from it back in July, I've decided to start it again where I left off, so I'm now reading The Witch Tree Symbol (Nancy Drew #33) by Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams).
Hmmm...I don't seem to be in the mood for reading anything!!

Old 12-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #18353
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I started Johannes Cabal, the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard today.

So far, I'm not incredibly gripped yet - it has all the ingredients I should like, but something in the writing isn't quite working for me. Still, I'm only 25% in and not disliking it either, so that's something.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #18354
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Dangerous Women

Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm...I don't seem to be in the mood for reading anything!!
Ha! Found something that grabbed my interest! Dangerous Women, Edited by George R.R. Martin & Gardner Dozois. I had only read the Jim Butcher story, BOMBSHELLS and then put the rest aside for later. Well now seems to be later enough! It begins with a story by Joe Abercrombie, who I've never before read and I was immediately taken up with it and am enjoying it a lot!

Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #18355
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Halfway done with Massacre Creek, a western by Gordon Shirreffs, published originally about 1958, I think. Unusual western for me as the actions occur during the Civil War, not afterwards.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #18356
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Mars, Inc by Ben Bova. Near-future SF about a crewed trip to Mars.
Which was OK, but was entirely about enabling the trip, not the trip itself. And not a patch on The Man Who Sold The Moon.

Next up: Sovereign by C J Sansom. Henry VIII and Tudor York. Good stuff.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #18357
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Just after I started this, my library sent me an email saying that the first Percy Jackson and the Olympians book, The Lightning Thief, was available, so I read that quickly and am now back to Blindsight. Percy Jackson was obviously written for a younger audience but was fun and fast paced, I have the next book on hold now. Certainly seems to be a good Harry Potter clone (follow a kid through his schooling, 1 main adventure/year style series.)
I enjoyed Blindsight, but it wasn't one of my favorites for the year. I also just completed the second Percy Jackson book, Sea of Monsters. I am not sure I will keep going in this series, a little too YA.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #18358
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Heh. I've been told to interrupt my regularly scheduled book to read Origin by Jessica Khoury.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Just started it myself. Will let you know how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Unfortunately, I've picked Origin up three times now, and I just can't seem to get into it. Its definitely a "its not you, its me" situation. I'm just not in the mood to read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm still making a go of it, but I'm not gripped yet. It's an interesting concept but has yet to really go anywhere and I'm already a third of the way through.
Well I wasn't really that impressed, I'm afraid. It was ok as a YA read, but didn't really develop into much of a story/plot, and was a little predictable, I thought.

Now reading Audition by Ryū Murakami, a suggestion from HIMS. So far, so good .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #18359
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A non-fiction book for a change: "Nikon D7100 for Dummies", to help me get more from my DSLR camera. A very good book, and the type of book that the iPad is perfect for reading. Not something I'd want to read on my Kindle PW, because it's full of colour pictures.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #18360
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Currently reading Shadow of Freedom, and listening to The Grand Sophy, a Georgette Heyer read by Phyllida Nash.
Finished Shadow of Freedom, that's a full re-read of the Harrington ouvre. All in all, the early books excelled, the latter ones, less so.

Now, reading shorter works from Liaden Universe Constellation, Volume 2. I've read all of these at one time or another, but I'm still looking forward to the re-read. I'm also going to read a full length book at the same time -- the first of the Harry Hole books from Jo Nesbo -- The Bat.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote