Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #18331
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly. Excellent Lincoln Lawyer book I had trouble putting down. Great read!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #18332
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I grabbed up another Amazon Freebie, Earthly Delights: Corinna Chapman #1 by Kerry Greenwood!

Yep, I've seen that picture before, I believe at Netflix! Essie is a cutie and a very good actress!

This TV series is one of the very few times where I felt that the actor was absolutely perfect for the character as I read him/her in the book. She "owns" Phryne in much the same way David Suchet "owns" Hercule Poirot. And it's impossible for me to imagine someone else in the role. Fortunately, I don't need to imagine it, I can watch it any time after Friday evening when it downloads to my TiVo.

Currently reading Shadow of Freedom, and listening to The Grand Sophy, a Georgette Heyer read by Phyllida Nash.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #18333
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Finally done with The Luminaries - I think it took me some eight or ten days... Didn't have a lot of time to read this past week. :-/

In any case, it's not the best book I've ever read, and I am not sure it'll quite make my top ten favourite reads this year, but I did enjoy it as well as appreciate it (not always the same thing!).

The only thing that didn't work for me in the least (and which, I suspect, was a major part of why it's been so critically acclaimed) was the way astrology was used as a sort of framing device for the narrative structure. I'm sure someone with wider knowledge about those matters would get more out of it, because I'm sure there was something very clever being done there, but since it's not a field I've ever had much interest in, I admit I didn't "get" the point of it at all.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #18334
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Peter Ustinov or David Suchet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
This TV series is one of the very few times where I felt that the actor was absolutely perfect for the character as I read him/her in the book. She "owns" Phryne in much the same way David Suchet "owns" Hercule Poirot. And it's impossible for me to imagine someone else in the role. Fortunately, I don't need to imagine it, I can watch it any time after Friday evening when it downloads to my TiVo.

Currently reading Shadow of Freedom, and listening to The Grand Sophy, a Georgette Heyer read by Phyllida Nash.
Hmmm...I prefer Peter Ustinov to David Suchet.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #18335
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, we won't agree on that, though I liked the Ustinov version. Just not as much as the Suchet versions.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #18336
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Looking for Transwonderland by Noo Saro-Wiwa, daughter of murdered Nigerian activist Ken Saro-Wiwa. She's lived most of her life in England, with visits to Nigeria as a kid, so the book is a travel narrative through that country, where she's both a native and a stranger at once. Love her style - I'd buy an essay on her walk around the block to Tesco!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #18337
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The Passage by Justin Cronin- ''An epic and gripping tale of catastrophe and survival, The Passage is the story of Amy—abandoned by her mother at the age of six, pursued and then imprisoned by the shadowy figures behind a government experiment of apocalyptic proportions. But Special Agent Brad Wolgast, the lawman sent to track her down, is disarmed by the curiously quiet girl and risks everything to save her. As the experiment goes nightmarishly wrong, Wolgast secures her escape—but he can’t stop society’s collapse. And as Amy walks alone, across miles and decades, into a future dark with violence and despair, she is filled with the mysterious and terrifying knowledge that only she has the power to save the ruined world.''
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #18338
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Suchet will always be THE Poirot.

If not him, the only alternative is this:
Spoiler:
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #18339
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Don't know where to put this... I'm both reading and listening to Patrick O'Brian's sixth novel in the Aubrey/Maturin series, The Fortune of War. These books just keep getting better and better. Hard time putting it down.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #18340
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Haven't checked in here for a while ...

Still continuing my journey through the complete oeuvre of Henry James - currently reading 'The Princess Casamassima' - its style is Dickensian - I keep being reminded of 'Great Expectations' and 'David Copperfield' with a dash of 'Hard Times' - although it was nice to meet up with Christina Light again.

Suddenly this weekend I decided to re-read 'Dracula' - and am immensely enjoying meeting old fiends/friends again ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:02 AM   #18341
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Suchet will always be THE Poirot.

If not him, the only alternative is this:
Spoiler:
Another contender (Kindlekitten: Don't look. Trust me.):

Spoiler:
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #18342
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
I'm currently reading 19th Element by John Betcher, just started it but not bad to this point.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #18343
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I'm on the David Suchet side
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #18344
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
My vote goes for Suchet as well.

Back on topic, after The Luminaries, I felt like something shorter and simpler, so I read Doctor Who: The Death Pit by A. L. Kennedy, the first in a new Time Trips e-story series (each by a different author, much like the recent Doctor Who 50th anniversary series, but aimed probably at a somewhat older audience and not in strict order; this story, kicking off the series, starred the Fourth Doctor).

It was... okay. I didn't particularly dislike it, and there were some bits I enjoyed (and I thought the Forth Doctor's characterisation was pretty decent), but I also didn't really love it all in all.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #18345
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I recently finished Dalek I Loved You by Nick Griffiths. It's an autobiography of a British writer focused largely on his lifelong love of all things Doctor Who. Being more of a casual fan of the franchise, I wasn't sure if I would get lost with any of the potential references. The writer fortunately wrote his memoirs with an eye towards non-Who fans, and helpfully provided short episode and character descriptions as needed.

Doctor Who is a recurring theme, but the book does a particularly good job evoking the author's childhood in 1970's England. I thought the description of the author's later years wasn't quite as gripping. I enjoyed the read but am uncertain how someone completely unfamiliar to Doctor Who would take it.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote