Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #18211
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm currently going back and forth between the Steele Series and the Parasol Protectorate Series. Very different reads indeed.

The Steele series is "okay" so far. It is African-American Romance centred around four brothers (and their 3 female cousins), all wealthy gorgeous people, who run a family corporation together. Each book centers around one or two of the Steeles finding love whether they were looking for it or not. I've read the first two and would sum them up as Sweet, Cheesy, and Predictable - what my husband would call - Popcorn reads.

The Parasol Protectorate series is Paranormal, Steampunk, (Victorian) Alternative History with a touch of Action, Adventure and Romance. I'm currently reading the second book Changeless. The main character, Alexia, is equal parts brilliant and frustrating - I like her. The surrounding characters are enjoyable as well. While there are Vampires, Werewolves & Ghosts, they are treated in unique ways - taking the basic lore and adding a twist. Alexia is the most unusual twist of all - She is a preternatural. She has the innate power to temprarily negate supernatural abilities, by touch.
Heh. I've been told to interrupt my regularly scheduled book to read Origin by Jessica Khoury.

My daughter just finished this minutes ago and informed me that it is my turn. Daddy read it a couple of days ago, in one sitting, so that she would have someone with whom to discuss the book, but she wants me in on it as well.

How can I possibly say no.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #18212
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Heh. I've been told to interrupt my regularly scheduled book to read Origin by Jessica Khoury.

My daughter just finished this minutes ago and informed me that it is my turn. Daddy read it a couple of days ago, in one sitting, so that she would have someone with whom to discuss the book, but she wants me in on it as well.

I like the sound of it. You may just have helped me decide on my next read .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #18213
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I will be done with A Feast for Crows by the end of the month (so Saturday evening at the very last). So far, I don't like it as much as the previous ones, maybe it's because the 4-bundle book is starting to tire me. Another reason is that the rhythm between chapters is quite different on that one. The story is still interesting though, albeit more "serious".
After that, no more A Song of Ice and Fire books for me before a long time.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #18214
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I will be done with A Feast for Crows by the end of the month (so Saturday evening at the very last). So far, I don't like it as much as the previous ones, maybe it's because the 4-bundle book is starting to tire me. Another reason is that the rhythm between chapters is quite different on that one. The story is still interesting though, albeit more "serious".
A Feast for Crows is definitely one of the less enjoyable books in the series. I think a part of that might be due to the fact that it doesn't contain any of the characters I grew attached to.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #18215
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I just finished Susan Dunn's 1940: FDR, Willkie, Lindbergh, Hitler-the Election amid the Storm. Good coverage of FDR's third term campaign, and of how Wendell Willkie got the Republican nomination.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2013, 01:55 AM   #18216
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Today I picked up Bruno, Chief of Police ... made it only ~15% into it for now. Maybe I'll be more in a mood for it tomorrow. I'm struggling a bit with the writing style, but I assume it's a case of getting used to it.
Well, it got better, and I'm going to read more in the series eventually (especially as I already own the first four or five books), but I didn't really come to care for either Bruno as a character or the writing style.

After that, I've read The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke - a YA fantasy I got as part of the Strange Chemistry subscription I bought last year. And a good thing I did - I probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise, since fantasy-world fantasy (not sure I'd want to call it high or epic, but I mean the kind of fantasy that doesn't take place in our real world) usually really isn't my cup of tea, but this was great fun. Assassins, pirates, magic, a kick-ass heroine who is also likeable, and most importantly, no insta-love for the first beautiful boy the heroine meets.

I'm glad I already have the second book as part of the subscription, too, as I definitely want to know what happens next.

My latest read was one I'd been looking forward to for nearly two years - Wild Justice, the third and final book in Kelley Armstrong's non-paranormal Nadia Stafford series. I found it a satisfying and good conclusion, offering both closure and a future for the characters.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #18217
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I did it! I've turn the last page, so to speak
I started the first book sometimes in June and now I'm part relieved to be done with it and part sad to say good-bye to characters I used to meet often in the last five months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
A Feast for Crows is definitely one of the less enjoyable books in the series. I think a part of that might be due to the fact that it doesn't contain any of the characters I grew attached to.
It is, isn't it? There's more scheming, plotting in this book than in others and not the wits of some characters to light the mood. Good thing this is one of the shortest book in the series
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #18218
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I like the sound of it. You may just have helped me decide on my next read .
Cool! I hope you enjoy! I'll be starting tonight, now that the family activities are done.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #18219
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cool! I hope you enjoy! I'll be starting tonight, now that the family activities are done.
Just started it myself. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:51 AM   #18220
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Gawd, I've been reading these for too long, I'm losing track of where I am. Sigh. OK, so I finished At All Costs last night (or early this morning :yawn, and rather than go on to War of Honor, I'm ducking back into the Saganami side-series to read Storm from the Shadows. And as a side read of something completely unrelated, I'm reading The Love of a Good Woman by Alice Munro. This is a collection of short stories from a master of the form. Oh, and a Canadian Nobel Laureate, of course.
Well, I finally managed to finish Storm from the Shadows, and then the 2nd of the Zilwicki side series, Torch of Freedom. I'm definitely getting tired of these, but I'm going to stick it out. On to Mission of Honor.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #18221
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Now reading _The Book Thief_.

Strange style...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #18222
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
I'm currently going back and forth between the Steele Series and the Parasol Protectorate Series. Very different reads indeed.

The Steele series is "okay" so far. It is African-American Romance centred around four brothers (and their 3 female cousins), all wealthy gorgeous people, who run a family corporation together. Each book centers around one or two of the Steeles finding love whether they were looking for it or not. I've read the first two and would sum them up as Sweet, Cheesy, and Predictable - what my husband would call - Popcorn reads.

The Parasol Protectorate series is Paranormal, Steampunk, (Victorian) Alternative History with a touch of Action, Adventure and Romance. I'm currently reading the second book Changeless. The main character, Alexia, is equal parts brilliant and frustrating - I like her. The surrounding characters are enjoyable as well. While there are Vampires, Werewolves & Ghosts, they are treated in unique ways - taking the basic lore and adding a twist. Alexia is the most unusual twist of all - She is a preternatural. She has the innate power to temporarily negate supernatural abilities, by touch.
Quote:

Unfortunately, I've picked Origin up three times now, and I just can't seem to get into it. Its definitely a "its not you, its me" situation. I'm just not in the mood to read it. So, I'm going back to the second book of the Parasol Protectorate series, Changeless.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #18223
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Unfortunately, I've picked Origin up three times now, and I just can't seem to get into it. Its definitely a "its not you, its me" situation. I'm just not in the mood to read it. So, I'm going back to the second book of the Parasol Protectorate series, Changeless.
I'm still making a go of it, but I'm not gripped yet. It's an interesting concept but has yet to really go anywhere and I'm already a third of the way through.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #18224
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Bruce Hartman & freebies - Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Ah freebies. After finishing the freebie, Tall Man in Ray-Bans yesterday evening (I had quite enjoyed it) I was all but decided to start reading the very first book of Robert B. Parker's Spencer series since Jim Butcher almost always refers to this series as his favorite and I have never read even one of them nor ever seen any of the 'Spencer for Hire' TV shows. But I got a freebie this morning that appealed to me enough to make it next on my TBR list. From its metadata this paragraph both grabbed and excited me:

A chilling series of deaths strikes a writers' group in New York, leaving the remaining members to face the suspicion - and finally the certainty - that one of them is a psychopathic killer. Is a sequel to Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" being played out in their lives?

So, later today I'll beging reading the Amazon freebie, The Muse of Violence by Bruce Hartman.
I was half-way through that freebie I got from Amazon, The Muse of Violence and was wondering if I should abandon it and try reading something else instead. So last evening I had Showtime on the TV and a movie started started playing that was called Beautiful Creatures. The title rang a bell in my head and I looked it up in my Calibre ebook library and found Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles #1) by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl. I believe I'd added it when the advertising for the movie's release was on TV, maybe six months ago. So this morning I put The Muse of Violence aside and began reading Beautiful Creatures. So far so good!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #18225
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I just started the third and final book in Shelby Foote's Civil War saga - The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 3: Red River to Appomattox.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote