Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #196
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I left on hollidays forgetting to take some books (oups !!). Got wool as it was one of the drm-free book on my to read list. I rather liked it. I am somewhere in book 5.

By the way, why is the ommnibus edition cheaper en kobo than just book one ?
And i can't find book 2 3 4 5 on kobo. (might be the search on kobo being crap again.)
Looking at Amazon, the Omnibus edition of Wool is cheaper then buying 2-5 separately. So maybe it's because there is no need for the more expensive separates.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #197
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
50 pages or so to go. Excellent stuff, very Fallout3-esque. Actually, is it bad form to ask the author if that particular game had a part in kicking off the story?
I never explicitly thought about Fallout while writing the books, but I am a huge fan of the original two games, so the influence was likely there. I enjoyed the third as well, but the turn-based isometric games have a very special place in my heart.

I was probably more influenced by two other features of my childhood: The large silos behind my father's barn that I used to crawl around inside of and on top of -- and the nuclear bomb drills they had us perform as kids in elementary school.

When writing, it's hard to say what's influencing you. Everything you've read, seen, heard, done is mixed in there. Fallout was a part of my young adulthood. And it wasn't until I started talking with the BBC about a TV series that someone brought up the vaults and the parallels hit me.
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #198
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Interesting. I was a complete sucker for the original X-COM game.

I still haven't started reading. It's been on the list on the list on the list. Soon.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #199
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Thanks a lot Hugh! When you think you may have gleaned (part of) an author's muse it's always interesting to hear if you were right, or just more than usually deluded. Now that I know a bit more I can see how the silos and the nuclear bomb drills may have put a bit more of a mark on your subconscious than the game...

I missed out on the original Fallout games unfortunately; they just never entered my consciousness back in the day. I loved, and love, Fallout 3 though - one of my all-time faves. I was a big, big X-Com fan though, in which' honour (sort of) I've just started reading Into the Looking Glass by John Ringo.

Anyway, thanks a lot Hugh, both for the answer and for Wool. I absolutely loved it and I hope you go on to write a lot more woolly stuff in the future. I may just have to take a look at all your other stuff as well...

Last edited by Belfaborac; 08-17-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #200
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
Hi Hugh, just thought I'd chime in and say thank you for this wonderful series. I'm just completing book 4 (Omnibus edition from Amazon) and will be buying book 6 very soon.

I'm a big fan of post-apocalypse stories and your series hits all the right notes for me. I look forward to reading other works by you in the future.
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #201
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Just finished book 5 . Got book 6 right away
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #202
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
Hi Hugh, just thought I'd chime in and say thank you for this wonderful series. I'm just completing book 4 (Omnibus edition from Amazon) and will be buying book 6 very soon.

I'm a big fan of post-apocalypse stories and your series hits all the right notes for me. I look forward to reading other works by you in the future.
Thanks, George!
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #203
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have book 6 on my 650 waiting to be read. Problem is, I have too many books I want to read now. But I'll just have to make book 6 a priority after the book I am reading and the next one I will read.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #204
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For those who listen to audiobooks, I noticed that the Wool omnibus audio is available at Audible as of this morning...

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_6_1...075466&sr=6-19
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #205
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For those who listen to audiobooks, I noticed that the Wool omnibus audio is available at Audible as of this morning...

Cool... And I've got some credits available. Off to Audible I go...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #206
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Cool... And I've got some credits available. Off to Audible I go...
I do too, although I've been hoarding them a bit for when they release all of the Liaden books next Tuesday. Might have to use one on Wool though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #207
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Hugh made the announcement recently on Facebook.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #208
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Wow, great! It is on Audible!

Hugh Howey, will the audiobook find its way to the German Audible website (English Audio, no translation)? That would be awesome!
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #209
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Waiting for it to hit iTunes so I can use my gift cards. Soon, according to Mr. Howey.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #210
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just noticed the price of Wool has dropped on the Oz store - it's now cheaper than the US price - good to see!
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote