Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
LJ Miehe
Empirical Philosopher
LJ Miehe doesn't litterLJ Miehe doesn't litterLJ Miehe doesn't litter

Device: Astak EZ Reader (6")
Lightbulb OPEN LETTER: Astak Customer Service (Positive)

I just wanted to tell my story about dealing with Astak customer service and specifically Elliott. I purchased a 6" EZReader from a lady local to me. She was an early adopter and got one of the first models from the production line. She was not the most technically savvy so it had the original firmware install.

Me being technically inclined, the first thing I did was download the newest firmware and went through the installation process with no avail. I followed every suggestion I could find and it just would not hold. At that point I was not the happiest camper because I know much more of the value in these products are with updates and bug fixes through the life of the product.

I contact Astak next to get some assistance and to see if I was doing something wrong. They guided me through the steps and still it did not work.

At that point they offered to RMA it for me and update it in their facility free of charge.

That was a great move, being they are not a big name like Kindle, Sony or B&N, I felt that was the right call to stand in the customer service arena. So I got my info and sent it in.

(Now here is the good part) Once they got the unit they told me that they were having the same issue with the unit.

Note: At this point they "could" of done what other companies would do and send it back at my expense and tell me to purchase the newest unit and it was out of warranty. BUT NO, instead they sent me a fresh new unit in box with the latest firmware installed. NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE.

So I want everyone who reads this to know this company in SERIOUS about making inroads into the eReader market and they have a great product and the service I can get behind. Maybe the EZReader doesn't have all the flash as other devices (yet), but its a darn good reader and it has the service that stands behind the product and that is a reason why I am hitching my horse behind Astak and will upgrade with their new eReaders in the future and heck I might get a couple IP Cameras to boot. That is my story and I hope you appreciate the sincerity because this is from my heart and the truth.

Astak
LJ Miehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
That's awesome! Thank you for sharing! It just reinforces to me that I made the right decision to purchase from them. I can't wait to get mine!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
You made our day, for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Miehe View Post
I just wanted to tell my story about dealing with Astak customer service and specifically Elliott. I purchased a 6" EZReader from a lady local to me. She was an early adopter and got one of the first models from the production line. She was not the most technically savvy so it had the original firmware install.

Me being technically inclined, the first thing I did was download the newest firmware and went through the installation process with no avail. I followed every suggestion I could find and it just would not hold. At that point I was not the happiest camper because I know much more of the value in these products are with updates and bug fixes through the life of the product.

I contact Astak next to get some assistance and to see if I was doing something wrong. They guided me through the steps and still it did not work.

At that point they offered to RMA it for me and update it in their facility free of charge.

That was a great move, being they are not a big name like Kindle, Sony or B&N, I felt that was the right call to stand in the customer service arena. So I got my info and sent it in.

(Now here is the good part) Once they got the unit they told me that they were having the same issue with the unit.

Note: At this point they "could" of done what other companies would do and send it back at my expense and tell me to purchase the newest unit and it was out of warranty. BUT NO, instead they sent me a fresh new unit in box with the latest firmware installed. NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE.

So I want everyone who reads this to know this company in SERIOUS about making inroads into the eReader market and they have a great product and the service I can get behind. Maybe the EZReader doesn't have all the flash as other devices (yet), but its a darn good reader and it has the service that stands behind the product and that is a reason why I am hitching my horse behind Astak and will upgrade with their new eReaders in the future and heck I might get a couple IP Cameras to boot. That is my story and I hope you appreciate the sincerity because this is from my heart and the truth.

Astak
Dear LJMiehe:

Thank you so much!! I am grateful for your post and have copied it to Elliott.

We try really hard. We try to be different than the other companies. We are a small firm and I like us to keep a personal approach.

We do not please everybody all the time... but we really try to do so.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
Wow! Good Job Astak!
I think i made up my mind !
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I think I need to bookmark this thread for when I'm suggesting possible ebook readers to friends on Livejournal/Dreamwidth. A lot of the fanfic crowd doesn't care about the ability to buy ebooks; they want something that will read content the get from the web, in whatever format it's in. (Lots of Word/HTML; some PDF; some other formats they've collected over time.)

I always suggest they look at the Astak readers. I'm happy to have a customer-service post to point them at as well.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Good to see a positive experience reported. Thanks.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
thanks for posting such a positive experience. makes me glad i bought my husband a pocket pro for christmas
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
That's great!

I'm having problems with my PP at the moment and Elliot is being very helpful as well. Astak do have great customer support even internationally! Which is a much harder thing to come by!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
LJ Miehe
Empirical Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
That's great!

I'm having problems with my PP at the moment and Elliot is being very helpful as well. Astak do have great customer support even internationally! Which is a much harder thing to come by!
Elliot is great and he knows how to take care of a customer. Did like 50 pages of reading last night, I love this thing. I can't believe I waited so long to take the plunge. This and a iPad for newspapers and magazines and I will be in content heaven. Now I need to find out how get paid to read? Any suggestions?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Aaaaaw... good on ya Astak!

Just dont become too big..
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I've been trying to decide which ereader to buy and I think this post just helped with that decision! I'm in Australia and buying overseas is a bit worrying for me as I've never done it. I'm worried about warranties and such. Hearing about Laura's problems have helped me with that a little.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #12
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
IndecisiveMe, Go for it! I have been happy with my PP until now and since they are fixing it and giving me a new one, I am still happy. I'll probably have to wait a couple weeks to get it since it will be sent internationally but I do have my back up old ebook reader to tide me over until I get my replacement.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #13
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
That's great to know, Laura, thanks!
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
LJ Miehe
Empirical Philosopher

I finished my first book last night. Wheee, on to the next. Now I am reading about the Political Economy.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Australia Pocket PRO thinker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
I've been trying to decide which ereader to buy and I think this post just helped with that decision! I'm in Australia and buying overseas is a bit worrying for me as I've never done it. I'm worried about warranties and such. Hearing about Laura's problems have helped me with that a little.
Dear Indecisive:

Actually, I sometimes think half the posts on the Astak Forum are from Australians. All pretty happy and posting away.

We are looking into ways to do something major for Australia. I cannot make any promises... but you may find more local support there in the future.

In the meantime, you, regretably, have my inane ramblings to deal with. I work for Astak... and we keep a good presence here. I agree... calling us from Ausieland (meant with all respect) is not optimum with the time difference. BUT... Elliott is only an email away at: support@astak.com. Yes, you do need to ship to us for warranty work... but we pay to ship it back to you! And the Pocket PRO is pretty reliable! I had about ten of them running around the clock at CES with a good thousand people playing with them who knew nothing about what they were doing. It was funny... I would look at them after ten minutes or so and somebody, sure enough, had them in the French, Spanish, or Danish language! Not a single one had a problem. I figure they got three years of use in 4-5 days. My body broke down during the show. The Pocket PROs never did!

IF you purchase by midnight (PST) on February 14... you get a free Mighty Bright MiniFlex LED eBook Reader Light!! Do not miss out!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote