Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #31
eturgeon
Enthusiast
eturgeon began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
Quote:
EInk screens have the ability to update only a small area of the screen, and this can be done very quickly indeed. That could be used for a mouse pointer.

I hope this is true. It's just that during the whole video, the e-ink is always off a fraction of second behind the laptop. Even when scrolling a web page, and the scrolling itself is not lagging. The scrolling seems to be done in partial refresh mode, because at some points of the video, the screen clearly does a full refresh (when changing from video to browser mode), and then we see the double-repaint. So if every thing we see is in partial refresh mode, my biggest concern is the delay for the mouse.
eturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #32
eturgeon
Enthusiast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vny-JTpt-aU

but now that I rewatch this one, the cursor is very fast. No problem here.

Damn, I soooo need this monitor!
Advert
Old 04-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #33
eturgeon
Enthusiast

I just received my sony digital paper 13.3''.

First impression: it's slow. Slower than my Onyx m96 and my Sony reader prst2.

I will try to use it tonight as a secondary monitor.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #34
paperdog
paperdog began at the beginning.

Device: Dasung Paper like
Hey!

I am also super interested in having an e-ink screen. So please, keep us informed about your experiences with the Sony reader, and if you ever get the Dasung, it would be great if you also wrote about it.
Now my friend suggested to handicraft an e-ink monitor from an e-ink display and a controlling unit... Let's see...
paperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #35
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I didn't think you could use the sony as a monitor. Can it be done?

What about the Dasung pre-order? Did you contact them?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #36
eturgeon
Enthusiast

I can use any e-ink device as a monitor ... as long as it has a browser in it. Basically, I run a little web server on my PC that host a page that keep refreshing itself with littles images that form the print of my desktop. I coded this in less than 2 hours, very simple. It's working quite good on my onyx m96 right now as I'm typing this text.

So regarding the sony digital reader, I can already tell you that it is slower than the onyx, and slower than the sony prst2. Not only the browser, but the whole display is slow I believe. Not only that, but also the browser keeps freezing, so the refreshing is not working. That's just 1500$ wasted, just like that!

still, I intend to use it as a pdf reader.. How ironic.

Last edited by eturgeon; 04-09-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #37
eturgeon
Enthusiast

Quote:
What about the Dasung pre-order? Did you contact them?
Yes I did. Still waiting for their answer. I hope this can work out. I'm gonna be very lucky if I can get one.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #38
eturgeon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Now my friend suggested to handicraft an e-ink monitor from an e-ink display and a controlling unit
I wish I'd have someone explaining to me how to do this. I checked it a little, but I'm a programmer, not an electronic engineer.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #39
llpy
llpy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, I'm also one of those who just hate backlit displays. I currently use a Pixel Qi 10" display and I'm pretty satisfied with it, but the only problem is that it's too small, so I'm thinking of getting a second monitor.

Any news concerning PaperLike? Did you get a reply?
llpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #40
eturgeon
Enthusiast

I was able to buy one. I'm supposed to get it in june. I can't wait to try it.

I also bought a pixel QI 10''. However, I have been having problems finding an appropriate lighting for indoors use. My computer is not near a window, so I have to use lamps. It's difficult to make it bright, I found. If I put a 100 watts lamp just behind me, then it's bright enough, but ironically, I end up having headaches again after some hours, just because of the light that reflects from the display. I was surprised to find out how sensible to light I had become. What about you? You're able to work many hours on it?
Old 04-26-2015, 06:24 AM   #41
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
If the light was really close to your brain, the headache might as well have been caused by the electric field of the lamp. You could try a high quality LED headlamp of the flood or floody type.
Pixel QI's screen technology has always been plagued by poor contrast. I am afraid Dasung's screen will also need some external light, but I am confident it is far more usable than Pixel QI.
Forums where headlamps are discussed :
http://budgetlightforum.com/forum
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...hp?6-Headlamps
One model that might suit you because it is a high CRI warm white lamp, so better for the eyes :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ArmyTek-Wiza...item5b0606a665
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #42
eturgeon
Enthusiast

Just to give you an idea of my problem: I recently bought a 15$ LED cable in order to try to illuminate my pixel QI. It took me about an hour to install so that the light is diffuse correctly on the display. Since LED light seems aggressive to me, I paid attention not to look directly at it while I was manipulating it. By the time I was finished, I had a headache that last all evening --even though I didn't use the display all evening--, and at one in the morning in my bed, I was still feeling this inflammation in my head that kept me from sleeping. At that time my eyes were super sensitive to light, and LED light seems worsts than any other type. Right now, I'm better, but I have to pay extra care.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #43
eturgeon
Enthusiast

Right now, I do 35h /a week on a CCFL monitor at my job. It's bearable.

At home, I only use e-ink display to browse the web or read. My PC monitor is a LED, I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I'm not able to stay more than 30 minutes on the computer at home. However, the ambiant light is better at work, so this might be a significant factor. Not sure. Haven't tried the CCFL at home yet.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #44
eturgeon
Enthusiast

Another fact: I had eyes surgery, 10 years ago, for myopia.

No idea if it can create this kind of problem.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #45
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Since LED lights are becoming prevalent, you should investigate the characteristics of the different LED lights available. For example it is crucial that the blue frequency close to ultraviolet around 400nm is suppressed by the manufacturer; it is easy to find out with serious manufacturers like Nichia who publish the detailed characteristics of their lights in PDFs full of scientific graphics, but probably impossible to know with lights designed in China. Do you know the precise characteristics of the LED light you used ? CRI ? Color temperature ? Lumens ? Spot, floody or flood ?
You should read this:
http://lowvision.preventblindness.or...e-light-hazard
Some tips : lower the contrast as much as possible on your screen and increase the luminosity to compensate. Use a software like Redshift and set it between 2700K and 5500k. Prevent the light from the windows from directly reaching your eyes, even from the sides. Illuminate your room precisely to prevent a strong contrast between your screen and the space around it.
I have read that surgery for myopia increases the probability of your eyes aging at a younger age than most people.

Last edited by Lbooker; 04-28-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote