Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
JJG
JJG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Calibre missing dll to complete installation

Hi,
Could someone tell me what dll file is missing to complete installation. I have installed 64 bit and am unable now to download any covers, or fetch news. I reinstalled 32 bit to check and the same error comes up at the end of the installation...missing dll file (on my system, I presume) but it doesn't tell me which dll. When I try to download covers or fetch news a dialog box states this;

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 210, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\worker.py ", line 108, in single_covers
WindowsError: [Error 5] Accesso negato: u'C:\\Users\\Jack\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_0 .9.10_tmp_udsjsz\\jxysel_single_metadata_download'

Please help and thanks in advance. I am lost without Calibre working properly.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's not a missing dll, thats your antivirus program blocking calibre from accessing its temporary files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
JJG

Thanks for the quick reply.
Could I ask how I solve this, as I am not so experienced in these matters.
Also could I thank you personally for a great program you have designed. I love it and recommend it to everyone I know.
Kind Regards
Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Depends on your antivirus program. First try turning it off to make sure that that is indeed the problem.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
JJG

I use avast anti virus and comodo firewall.
I turned off both and still no joy. I am at a loss to know what to do.
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Run calibre as administrator, that's the other common fix for permissions problems in windows.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
JJG

That's fixed it! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
crapshoot
crapshoot began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I'm having the same problem with the non-functional installation dll. Calibre stopped loading epubs one day and when I reinstalled it Windows told me one of the dll's could not be run. The program still works if I run it as administrator, but every time I load an ebook a stupid Windows message pops up for me to approve the running of the program. This sucks if I open multiple ebooks at a time. I've been using Calibre for nearly two years now with no problems, and I've not installed any new programs (incl. anti-virus programs) recently, so it's very puzzling why it would just stop working one day.

Any ideas for a permanent fix?
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Alexpride
Enthusiast
Alexpride began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900, Nook Color
I'm having the same problem. I turned off my virus and firewall apps.

Also there is no way to pick install as administrator since it isn't an .exe file
Alexpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is for personal systems (ie not corporate PCs), First make sure you are an Administrator via Control Panel->Users . I don't guarantee it will work for everyone, or for that matter anyone, or that it will not make matters worse.

Locate your home folder eg «C:/Users/Fred»
  1. Right click the folder, click Properties
  2. Click the Security tab
  3. Click Advanced
  4. Click Change Permissions
  5. Check Include inheritable permissions, and Replace all child object permissions
  6. Click Apply then click Yes
  7. Wait for the list to refresh

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote