Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
loulou123
loulou123 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 300
new ereader wanted, but cant make up mind which...

Am now pretty sure I've killed my Sony prs 300 so looking for a new ereader...

My choice is between the obvious contenders - new Sony, kindle orkobo (the basic one.)

I mainly get books from the overdrive library system, I don't really buy them, but the few I have brought are in epub.

I'm not concerned about wireless or a browser etc and I'm not particularly fussed by touch screen.

Kindle is pretty much out in my mind, due to using overdrive so much (am sure its poss to get around this but it seems a lot of hassle.)

Logic is saying to go with kobo, as its much cheaper then Sony - does this seem like a good choice?
loulou123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
cak3
cak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmoscak3 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think a Nook would be better than a Kobo. But thats my $0.02.
cak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
victw
victw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!victw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!victw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!victw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!victw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!victw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!victw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!victw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!victw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!victw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!victw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony T1
I don't have any experience with the kobo - and I'm only 3 weeks into owning an ereader. But the Sony T1 makes downloading ebooks through the libraries overdrive system a breeze.

If that is your main use than I would evaluate specifically on that criteria. Perhaps you can post a question on the kobo forum - for ease of use with library books.

Vic
victw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I played with the basic kobo (non-touch) for a couple days. It's quite nice, but certainly doesn't compare with a sony 650 or T1. Very slow. Navigation is primitive compared to touch.

If you're looking for value, there are cheap 350's around.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou123 View Post
Am now pretty sure I've killed my Sony prs 300 so looking for a new ereader...

My choice is between the obvious contenders - new Sony, kindle orkobo (the basic one.)

I mainly get books from the overdrive library system, I don't really buy them, but the few I have brought are in epub.

I'm not concerned about wireless or a browser etc and I'm not particularly fussed by touch screen.

Kindle is pretty much out in my mind, due to using overdrive so much (am sure its poss to get around this but it seems a lot of hassle.)

Logic is saying to go with kobo, as its much cheaper then Sony - does this seem like a good choice?
If you use the library a lot and don't want to do anything illegal, then you should drop the Kindle because without DRM removal you can't read library books with it. The Nook looks pretty nice but if you aren't in the US you won't want to get that either. I haven't tried the Sony T1 but I have the Kobo Touch and it's really great.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-21-2012 at 12:11 AM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
loulou123
loulou123 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 300
Thank you all.
Not considering the nook as I'm in uk, and kindles out due to library issue, so I'm just left with kobo and Sony.

I'm thinking of going with the kobo wireless as its half the price of the Sony T1 and all I want it for is to read books!
loulou123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The benefit to the Sony is that you can use the library wirelessly from the device. It does save you a step or two and can be pretty convienent. (sp)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle uses the Overdrive library system just fine. Just check out the Kindle version of the book.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Not in the UK it doesn't. Kindles library support is US only. The OP is in the UK so the Kindle is out for him.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The Kindle uses the Overdrive library system just fine. Just check out the Kindle version of the book.
I think that only applies in the U.S. and the OP is in the U.K.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou123 View Post
Thank you all.
Not considering the nook as I'm in uk, and kindles out due to library issue, so I'm just left with kobo and Sony.

I'm thinking of going with the kobo wireless as its half the price of the Sony T1 and all I want it for is to read books!
I own a Kindle but had a look at the Kobos in WH Smith. I really liked the Kobo Touch when I looked at it, whereas I felt the Kobo Wireless was quite slow to turn pages, load books etc. Based on that I'd personally spend the extra £20 for the Touch version (you can currently get it for £90 using the code KOBOJAN10 at WH Smith).

However, it might not be much of an issue for you? So I'd really recommend that if it's possible, you should try your nearest WH Smith (or perhaps Asda or Currys) and see if they have display models for you to try. Certainly a Kobo Wireless for £67 is tempting compared to £130 for the Sony PRS-T1 ....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote