Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
So, according to this announcement the Kindle is the first ereader to support wirelessly library lending. The Sony T1 is going to be just the second one.
Can this be done 100% without a computer?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
I downloaded via my ipad both to the ipad Kindle app and to the Kindle itself. Very easy to do.
How did you do it? I tried to download a Kindle book via Safari on my iPod touch 4 and got this message: "Kindle Book titles cannot be downloaded on this device." So how did you do it?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Anybody else have this problem?
I didn't have that problem. But when I first got to Amazon (after checking out from my library), I clicked on "Send to my Kindle" (I chose "download for transfer" since I have a K2), and it told me the ebook wasn't available for download. But I was able to go to my "Manage my Kindle" page and it let me download it from there.

They may have a few kinks to work out, but it seems like a very successful and smooth rollout so far.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Safari to the library to Amazon.

From Amazon to the Kindle app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Safari to the library to Amazon.

From Amazon to the Kindle app.
Safari to Library yields: "Kindle Book titles cannot be downloaded on this device."
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #36
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I very much doubt it. The Sony T1 does not seem to have a web browser, and Sony is not going to build a custom interface to Overdrive, which would involve too much 'coupling'.

I think it is going to work very much like Kindle does now, that is, you'll get an option on the Overdrive web site to send to your Sony, you'll get redirected to a Sony page to authenticate and choose the device to send to, and Sony's servers would fulfill the ebook.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I very much doubt it. The Sony T1 does not seem to have a web browser, and Sony is not going to build a custom interface to Overdrive, which would involve too much 'coupling'.

I think it is going to work very much like Kindle does now, that is, you'll get an option on the Overdrive web site to send to your Sony, you'll get redirected to a Sony page to authenticate and choose the device to send to, and Sony's servers would fulfill the ebook.
From Sony:

Quote:
Wirelessly check out eBooks from your local public library directly to your Reader Wi-Fi®. Simply tap the Public Library icon to easily locate libraries, browse, check out and download eBooks for free. All you need is a library card and an Adobe account. And forget late fees – public library eBooks expire automatically so there's no need to worry.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #38
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Working good for me; now, if my Library will just increase the number of books available.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #39
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:

You are wrong - the T1 does have a browser, and it does have a custom interface with Overdrive. There's even a dedicated Library icon on the homepage.

You will be able to checkout from and download directly to the device.

So while I'm glad that Kindle users now have this ability (the more library support the better!), it does seem that the Sony 'experience' is meant to be seamless.

Perhaps the next iteration of Kindle will have direct library support.

The Oregon Electronic Library Consortium (Library2Go) has Kindle support now, so yay! - even if that doesn't affect me directly.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Perhaps the next iteration of Kindle will have direct library support.
That's what I was hoping Amazon would do.

This feature for the T1 is making me seriously think about getting one if Amazon doesn't deliver.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I stand corrected (and enlightened). Kindle's browser is almost capable of doing the job, but it runs into the dreaded ''Web Browser could not open this link because opening multiple windows is not supported" when you click the 'Get for Kindle' button. Seems Overdrive could fix that, however, and hopefully, they will.

I think there are some hacks to prevent the 'open new window' behavior, not sure if that would work here.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-21-2011 at 05:01 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #42
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I am very happy about this. To put it lightly.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #43
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Toledo's library now has Kindle lending too! It's available along with all the other formats.

Last edited by faithbw; 09-21-2011 at 05:35 PM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #44
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Philly Free Library is very slow today.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #45
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Nope, I got up to the point of "Get for Kindle" and the Kindle browser wasn't able to open another window to complete the checkout. It's a slow process at any rate.

With Amazon's emphasis on idiot proofing you would think they would get it to work on the Kindle more smoothly, eventually.

Edit: I see Tomsen has already answered, missed that.

Last edited by carld; 09-21-2011 at 06:57 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote