Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
20 mb limit for epubs

I was all set to upload a corrected version of my last old geology book - 'Geology and Extinct Volcanos of Central France' - but ran into a problem: the file of 20.6 mb is too large for acceptance by MobilRead. The problem resulted from adding an additional image, that of a large folding map that was ok for ADE but together with other changes raised the file size from the previous <19 mb to the present size. Of course I can cut down the image resolution (I typically use 150 dpi rather than 75 dpi - the lower res is fine for an ereader but I use color images and the higher res is much better for viewing them on a computer, and I could use gray scale images if absolutely necessary).

Is there any way that the file size limitation might be elasticized a bit?
Bob
Never mind - with careful editing of the images I was able to shave off a couple of megs to get well within the limit.
Bob

Last edited by bobcdy; 04-28-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: added new material
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:02 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
As a workaround you can split your file in pieces (I believe WinRar lets you do that) and upload them. I did that with some 30MB file.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Thanks Jelly for the info; I may need it fairly soon because I'm working on De Re Metallica by Agricola (Herbert Hoover transl.) that has many many illustrations and is about 800 pages long including the extensive footnotes. The figures, however, are gray scale so perhaps it won't be a lengthy as I fear. It's slow going but hopefully should be done sometime in May.
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You also might try shrinking the images down. I did that with Lewis Carroll's "Alice In Wonderland" & "Through the Looking Glass" when I was putting the two stories together in one epub. There are programs (some free) that enable you to reduce the size of images and I used one for the Alice books. Otherwise they'd have been well past the 20 mb size limit. You can't tell just by looking that they were shrunk down either.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote