Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
2010 Nebula Award Nominations announced

http://www.sfwa.org/2011/02/2010-nebula-nominees/

The Nebulas are one of the two top awards in SF/fantasy, given by the membership of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

The other top award is the Hugo named after the late Hugo Gernsbach, whoi was the first to publish magazines devoted to SF - Amazing Stories and Thrilling Wonder Stories - and who gave the genre a name - Scientifiction - which got shortened to SciFi. The Hugo Awards are given by the annual World Science Fiction Convention, which will take place in August this year in Reno, Nevada.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 02-24-2011 at 04:12 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
These are the 2010 nominees, of course...
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
These are the 2010 nominees, of course...
<sigh> Fixed...
______
Dennis
Old 02-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
http://www.sfwa.org/2011/02/2010-nebula-nominees/

The Nebulas are one of the two top awards in SF/fantasy, given by the membership of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

The other top award is the Hugo named after the late Hugo Gernsbach, whoi was the first to publish magazines devoted to SF - Amazing Stories and Thrilling Wonder Stories - and who gave the genre a name - Scientifiction - which got shortened to SciFi. The Hugo Awards are given by the annual World Science Fiction Convention, which will take place in August this year in Reno, Nevada.
______
Dennis
Just a quick note of distinction. The Hugos are voted on by the pre-registered members of the World Science Fiction Convention; those members include mostly fans. The Nebulas are voted on by the membership of SFWA which are by and large writers. So in some respects, its kind of like a People's Choice versus the Oscars.

While I sometimes find Nebula award winners to feel a bit like they were written more to be thought about than to entertain and Hugo award winners were written more to entertain than to be thought about. When a book wins both though, it immediately gets a place on my to be read pile.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Two of the novels are in my queue to read right now:
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit UK; Orbit US)
Shades of Milk and Honey, Mary Robinette Kowal (Tor)

Some big names in the YA slot this year. I may have to check out a few of those.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm glad to see Adam Troy-Castro's name on a high-profile nominations list. That's the only thing that really caught my attention out of all the nominations.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Just a quick note of distinction. The Hugos are voted on by the pre-registered members of the World Science Fiction Convention; those members include mostly fans. The Nebulas are voted on by the membership of SFWA which are by and large writers. So in some respects, its kind of like a People's Choice versus the Oscars.
Correct. The Nebulas are a juried peer award. The Hugos are more of a popular award.

Quote:
While I sometimes find Nebula award winners to feel a bit like they were written more to be thought about than to entertain and Hugo award winners were written more to entertain than to be thought about. When a book wins both though, it immediately gets a place on my to be read pile.
I'm not sure I agree, but you can make a case for it. I happily read both, as I like stories that make me think. In fact, that's half the reason I read SF, period.
______
Dennis
Old 02-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
The only one I've read is Echo by Jack McDevitt & I can't honestly say this was the best one of the series.

I'll have to look into some of the others.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Correct. The Nebulas are a juried peer award. The Hugos are more of a popular award.

I'm not sure I agree, but you can make a case for it. I happily read both, as I like stories that make me think. In fact, that's half the reason I read SF, period.
______
Dennis
Well, I didn't say it was every story . And I enjoy stories that make me think as well... I just like stories that do both more . Thats why I said stories that win both immediately get put in my to be read pile

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote