Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #46
yard-ape
yard-ape began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Perfect!

Sincere thanks.

It works very nicely on my PRS300, and is read every morning and evening.
yard-ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #47
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Sincere thanks.

It works very nicely on my PRS300, and is read every morning and evening.
You're welcome. I'm glad you are finding it useful
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #48
adolson
adolson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Thanks for this! I had been thinking to get one for my [still fairly new] PRS-300, and this works really well! Appreciated.

Only thing I'd do is have a split option, NT and OT separate files... But I'm too lazy and I'd probably mess up the formatting.
adolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #49
jimmylee7706
jimmylee7706 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks so much for this, its great.
jimmylee7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #50
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I should have posted again about a month ago. I got my Nook. I Love it. This Bible was, as planned, the first book sideloaded. It works well, and I am quite pleased with the result. Well done, Sherman, and thank you for all the effort you put into this work to have it realized so well.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #51
sunterwagner
sunterwagner began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook user

I just got my Nook this week, and was very excited to find your Bible!!! I've read the whole post, and I didn't see anything mentioned about the possibility of having a TOC with links or even just page numbers (we can just jump to the page if we knew what page the chapter started on). I would love to just bring my Nook to church!!

Thanks again for your hard work!! God has blessed you with this special gift!!!
sunterwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 PM   #52
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Thanks! This will be an excellent edition to my library.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #53
dclavey
ePub Junky
dclavey began at the beginning.

Device: Black Sony Touch PRS-600, iPad
Nice New Version

Must borrow some of the ideas for my version of Touch Bible.

Touch Bible

Last edited by dclavey; 12-10-2010 at 07:45 AM.
dclavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #54
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Believe it or not, I no longer use my version

I currently use the one found here as it has a nicer version of the text (italics, paragraph marks etc.)
Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 AM   #55
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
many thanks
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #56
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Hi Sherman, loved your idea of a nice simple high quality KJV Bible, but for some reason I had endless trouble with the v3.0 epub.

It would outright crash FBreader in linux most of the time, and the few times I got it to load, it took about 5 minutes to bring up the title page, and the TOC wouldn't work!

On my Sony PRS-650 the file was also much slower loading though it would usually load in 10 or 15 seconds worst case, then if you dared to do any kind of simple search like (like searching "for god so loved") it might lock up the reader requiring the use of the reset button.

When I looked inside the file, I found that although you had done an absolutely incredible job of editing the HTML to be clean and error free, the EPUB itself was just totally mangled in conversion from HTML, creating over 1200 tiny file segments.

So, I downloaded your HTML base file, and ran it through a better controlled split and conversion to EPUB using Sigil, and the result exceeded my wildest expectations.

Now the file loads in FBreader, Adobe ADE, and on my PRS-650 in literally a second or two, and the search function seems to work perfectly.

Since things were working so well, I made a few other minor tweaks -

* Added public domain cover art from the first edition found on Wikipedia

* Switched to modern standard abbreviated naming, so the Table Of Contents would be fully readable on portable devices like the Nook and Sony Readers.

* As another improvement to the EPUB Table Of Contents, I added separate links at the main level for "Old Testament" and "New Testament".

Here is the new version 4 file -

Last edited by delphin; 02-09-2011 at 09:10 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #57
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last edited by delphin; 02-12-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #58
sherman
Guru

Those ~1200 odd files were exactly what I wanted at the time. If you look closely, you'd notice that each file is exactly one chapter.

The reason for this is that the PRS-505 had an old implementation of mobile DE, and the device itself was extremely slow. Having a file a chapter meant I could use the following XML in my toc.ncx:

Code:
<navPoint id="dbcd5ce5-df26-43df-987b-898896727659" playOrder="5">
        <navLabel>
          <text>CHAPTER 2</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Sony Bible Project HTML Final_split_3.htm"/>
      </navPoint>
Notice the lack of fragment ID's (#chapterx) in the src line? The PRS-505 absolutely chokes on those when generating its TOC list.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #59
delphin
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Those ~1200 odd files were exactly what I wanted at the time . . .
First of all Kudo's for your work on this, I was really impressed with the quality of the formatting.

I did indeed notice your elegant, simple, single-chapter-per-split organization and agree that it should work quite well, that's why I was complementary about your work above.

The only reason I fiddled with this at all was that I downloaded your file, then excitedly tried to load it into FBreader, and crashed the app.

So then I put it on my PRS-650 and after taking 8 or 10 seconds to load, it did come up, but locked my reader the first time I tried a search for a simple Bible verse like "for god so loved the world". Crashed the Sony so bad in fact that the only way it would recover was a physical paper clip reset (just holding the power switch to try a hard-power-down did not work).

Believe me, I agree with you, 1200 files is quite a reasonable number in todays world of megabytes of memory, so this SHOULD WORK.

I guess the designers of EPUB readers figured that since EPUBs typically have only a few hundred parts, why design for a few thousand? (because, obviously, nothing ever changes in the computer world right?) Sure, and computers will probably never have more than 64k of memory, or hard drives bigger than 32 Megabytes!

Regardless of what they SHOULD have done, clearly the folks who write EPUB readers, were NOT anticipating 1200 plus files though, because your EPUB file would not work very well on any of the EPUB readers that I commonly use.

If this split arrangement is the only way you could get it to work well on the 505, that's a good point, but I don't have a 505, so I had to try something.

In my original attempt, like you, I also tried to keep things very simple with a one-split-per-book-of-the-Bible.

This did work, and the max size was pretty close to the 260 kb arbitrary ADE EPUB limit, but Sigil didn't even make an effort to consolidate the formatting and create a single CSS, just duplicating the style header at the top of every split file.

So I finally did give in, and give Calibre another crack at the file, by putting my edited Sigil version through a final Calibre conversion.

The first pass with the default options in Calibre resulted in an another unusable file, until I figured out that Calibre was splitting the file on page breaks, again giving thousands of splits.

Even after I disabled that option, Calibre still insisted on adding an unnecessary style tag to EVERY paragraph, resulting in oversized sections that it then promptly SPLIT to keep from exceeding the max 260 k limits.

So despite my best plans, I also ended up with a few extra splits. Having a few books, split on chapter marks, doesn't seem to cause any problems, and all the readers I tried seemed to be happy with that.

With all the extra junk Calibre puts in, splitting at the max 260k limit was still slightly twitchy on the PRS-650 when doing reverse page turns between section breaks, so I went ahead with another Calibre encode; this time telling Calibre to split at a smaller 180 k mark.

Here is a copy of this latest encode with the new slightly smaller splits (largest file is now under 180k).

Bible - King James Version v4c.epub

The above file passes Sigil's EPUB validation with flying colors, and does seem to work quite nicely on the PRS-650, Adobe ADE, and FBreader.

I would be interested in if this EPUB will load and work on a 505?
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.

Last edited by delphin; 02-09-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #60
Elecman
Enthusiast
Elecman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Sherman, THANK YOU so much for fabricating this version to fit on Sony Devices as well as it does. I've been looking all around for a Bible with a TOC that actually works, on my PRS-350 no less. So much easier to read than on my smartphone really, it will compliment my Every Man's Bible which by the way is a fantastic NLT for us guys who may need some guidance. Link to Amazon for this book is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Every-Mans-Bib...7468479&sr=8-2
Elecman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bible, spiritual