Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #121
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbdsf View Post
Hi,

Have the same problem with down side bar.... it come back to "Selectionned for you" each time I come back to main screen (even if I configured it to "favorites").
PS: sorry, my kobo is in french, I don't know the exact name in english.

But the biggest problem... is the ghosting.
Since this new upgrade, have too much ghosting.
With "6" refresh rate it's very very bad, with "1" refresh rate just bad (more than the "6" before the upgrade).

The problem is only since this new upgrade 1.9.16, no problem with 1.9.14.
Have the same problem with my 2 kobo touch...
I just downgrade them back in 1.9.14, and the problem is no more.

Some people in the AlexandriZ forum have the same problem than me.
If you upgraded to 1.9.16 as soon as it was released, the issue with the sortlist ("Favoris") not sticking is a known bug that was corrected in a later drop of 1.9.16. If you upgrade again, it should be gone. And since some other bugs were said to be corrected too, you might be lucky with the ghosting...

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #122
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
I agree. There is more ghosting than before. I always had my setting to 6 before, but that isn't good enough now.

I also notice fairly often that when I bring up a popup to select the dictionary, that the text is quite weak and ghosted. It never did that before.

Below is an example of the popup when it's good and when it's bad. That isn't bad camera focussing in that bad picture either. This doesn't happen every time, it's just once in a while - but it new since the new firmware for me.

See how you can hardly see the dots between selections in the bad picture?
Does anyone else have this problem?
I haven't seen this before, we will look into this one.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #123
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
I have been able to reproduce this problem on my KT as well, but it appears to be random and when it does happen once you close the popup the text behind it is also badly faded but the rest of the text on the page is fine.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #124
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Just came about a change I was not aware of...
When there is an annotation in a book, marked with a (*), you could bring up a page with the corresponding text, and controls to move up or down the annotations, but now you first get a popup for that annotation and a choice to go to the page.

Don't know for sure that this is new to 1.9.16, but nice job nonetheless!

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #125
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I have been able to reproduce this problem on my KT as well, but it appears to be random and when it does happen once you close the popup the text behind it is also badly faded but the rest of the text on the page is fine.

That's exactly the same as it occurs on my unit. The problem is indeed random, and the text is so bad behind the popup after clearing it that I can't read the text sometimes, and have to do a page back and then forward to rewrite the text to read it.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #126
Akto
Akto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbdsf View Post
Hi,

Have the same problem with down side bar.... it come back to "Selectionned for you" each time I come back to main screen (even if I configured it to "favorites").
PS: sorry, my kobo is in french, I don't know the exact name in english.
Got the same issue during the few minutes I used the new firmware before downgrading. The "airplane" mode will save you. Solution tested on a French Kobo.

"favorites" = "short list"
Akto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #127
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I also notice fairly often that when I bring up a popup to select the dictionary, that the text is quite weak and ghosted. It never did that before.
I have the same issue on a new Kobo 1.9.16 12/23/11 - currently set to refresh every 1 page. I've also noticed that if you bring up the dictionary after touching a word that the text of the book changes - the letters like h k l i all become darker and some others become partly blurry. And the pop up window showing Save Highlights, etc. is the same as your picture most of the time - if not the first time then the second.

I also see ghosting if I go to the home page, then select a book from the carousel so that the book opens on a page with a lot of blank space - I can see a shadow of the 2nd book in the carousel (which has quite a black cover picture). If I go forward then back the shadow is gone - so it seems to be showing up only on the first display of the page - and not necessarily every time. The same if from the home page I select Home->Settings - although the shadow is light, it is there.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #128
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
'Disastrously' mistranslated item

The English version (correct):
HOME -> SETTINGS -> Device Information -> SOFTWARE DETAILS -> Release Notes

The German version (wrong):
START -> EINSTELLUNGEN -> Geräteinformationen -> SOFTWAREDETAILS -> Notizen verfassen

Lol, 'Notizen verfassen' means that you can note (and save) something. But you can only view software details there.
The term 'Release Notes' should be simply translated to 'Details' or 'Versionsdetails'. Please fix that - thanks.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #129
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
The English version (correct):
HOME -> SETTINGS -> Device Information -> SOFTWARE DETAILS -> Release Notes

The German version (wrong):
START -> EINSTELLUNGEN -> Geräteinformationen -> SOFTWAREDETAILS -> Notizen verfassen

Lol, 'Notizen verfassen' means that you can note (and save) something. But you can only view software details there.
The term 'Release Notes' should be simply translated to 'Details' or 'Versionsdetails'. Please fix that - thanks.
Thanks for pointing it out.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #130
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
I'm always in Airplane Mode. And always getting "Recommended for You" each time I come back to the Home page. So I created a "Shortlist," set it to Shortlist. Then I read. I come back, and I still get "Recommended for You." After multiple turn-offs and turn-ons, still I get "Recommended for You." Which isn't so horrible, I s'pose...unless someone else where to see that homepage and see exactly what's being (ahem...blush...) recommended.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #131
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification.

Now we need to understand why the difference in behaviour from one device to the next. If it is not HW specific then it would have to be linked to differences in each device "configuration" (i.e different set up, or content...) and your jab at the database is as good a guess as any in that respect.

François
I have the identical problem with the 1.9.14 firmware. Books are side loaded and selecting the Library is the most common lock up point, though it happens on other selections also. Therefore it could be a database access issue.

Someone has indicated that it only happens with an SD card loaded.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #132
everklear
Enthusiast
everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
Thirded (at least ... I haven't read the entire thread). Symptoms of menu items and cached press exactly as therealjoeblow describes. This is the second thing I noticed after the update - the first being the advertising. Not a good start for new firmware.

It occurs to me that the symptoms would be explained by a missing screen refresh between the initial menu item selection and the new screen coming up.

This is a major pain when trying to navigate the library and really does need to be addressed quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
As imsoawesome noted, I have the same BUG with menu items not being properly recognized with one press.

Eg, from Home screen - tap Home, then Library - Library gets hilighted black, but then just sits there locked, until I press it again, Then it goes to the Library, but has the second press in the buffer, and executes that second press right after, and actually opens the book that was under where the press was made.

Does exactly the same thing from Library when I press the View button, and the select one of the 3 options - the option selected turns black, and the device sits there until the choice is pressed again, then it changes the view, and opens executes the second press on the book that is at the bottom right, opening it.

I trust others will report the same, and I hope that the Kobo Dev's will release 1.9.17 IMMEDIATELY with this fixed, as it is a major pain!

Thank you

OH, and while you're at it, please add another option to the menu for the new new bar at the bottom of the home screen called HIDE, so one can turn it off. I have no use for it as many others and would like it gone.

The REAL Joe
everklear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #133
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
There definitely seems to be a problem with this latest firmware release as evidenced by the number of posters recounting similar experiences.

I'm at a loss why these problems don't show up in the beta testing.

At a minimum, the fact that you can't lock the shortlist as your preferrence for the carousel, deserves a new version should be released.

The ghosting and faded text seems to be an actual problem and should also be addressed, as should the second click problem.

ltr

Last edited by ltr; 12-26-2011 at 05:13 PM.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #134
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
I'm at a loss why these problems don't show up in the beta testing.
ltr
Yeah--this kind of thing drives the developers (and the beta group) a little nuts. Everyone would much rather have problems show up before anything is released, for sure. I have a feeling that tomorrow morning, when the Boxing day festivities are over, there will be activity regarding this.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #135
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have a feeling that tomorrow morning, when the Boxing day festivities are over, there will be activity regarding this.
You think so?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote