Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
rasana_atreya
rasana_atreya began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
USB port transfer of files to Samsung Galaxy Tab (Icecream Sandwich)

Hi,

I have an older version of kindle. I've found it useful to transfer files from my PC to the Kindle using the USB port.

I'd like to be able to do the same on my new Samsung Galaxy Tab (icecream sandwich) 8GB. I'm a writer so I often convert my work-in-progress to kindle compatible file using Calibre. That is readable. But if I download books from Amazon and try to do the same, I get the message:

"Invalid Item

Please remove the item from your device and go to Archived items to download it again."

Is this a file format issue mobi vs. prc vs. azw (no clue about the difference).

Also, which file folder should these go in?

An unrelated question - every so often the Samsung isn't recognized on my Windows & laptop.

Would appreciate any pointers.

Regards,
Rasana
rasana_atreya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasana_atreya View Post
Hi,

I have an older version of kindle. I've found it useful to transfer files from my PC to the Kindle using the USB port.

I'd like to be able to do the same on my new Samsung Galaxy Tab (icecream sandwich) 8GB. I'm a writer so I often convert my work-in-progress to kindle compatible file using Calibre. That is readable. But if I download books from Amazon and try to do the same, I get the message:

"Invalid Item

Please remove the item from your device and go to Archived items to download it again."

Is this a file format issue mobi vs. prc vs. azw (no clue about the difference).

Also, which file folder should these go in?

An unrelated question - every so often the Samsung isn't recognized on my Windows & laptop.

Would appreciate any pointers.

Regards,
Rasana
Before you try the Samsung:

After the file conversion, can you read the file on your computer and what format are you converting to?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Hi,

"Invalid Item

What do you mean when you say that you "download books from Amazon and try to do the same"? You can't download Kindle books for one device and transfer them to another; if you want to download books from Amazon you should do so from the Kindle App on your tablet.

(There are other ways of doing it, but let's stay clear of issues of DRM removal, etc - that's just complicating the matter.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
rasana_atreya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Before you try the Samsung:

After the file conversion, can you read the file on your computer and what format are you converting to?
I use Calibre and can read the books just fine on Kindle. I'm still trying to figure this out. I guess I don't understand enough to even ask the right questions.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
rasana_atreya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What do you mean when you say that you "download books from Amazon and try to do the same"? You can't download Kindle books for one device and transfer them to another; if you want to download books from Amazon you should do so from the Kindle App on your tablet.

(There are other ways of doing it, but let's stay clear of issues of DRM removal, etc - that's just complicating the matter.)
Most books I download are DRM-free. I can use Calibre to convert back and forth. I have other issues with wireless at this time, so I've been trying to use the usb cable route.

Regarding downloads from Amazon - the option to download to my Kindle is still active, but the 'Download to Android' is greyed out.

Sorry for being so clueless.

Best,
Rasana
Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Regarding downloads from Amazon - the option to download to my Kindle is still active, but the 'Download to Android' is greyed out.
No, I mean download on the tablet - from the Kindle app itself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote