Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool generating tocs

this seems odd to me. and hard to describe, too. here goes:

i convert to epub a nicely formatted file, but that doesn't have a toc with the express purpose of generating a toc. when i open the epub in sigil:

1. sometimes a toc appears in the right window (good, all done)
2. sometimes there's no toc in the right window, but there is one set up in the toc generator window. (tell it ok, good, all done)
3. sometimes neither of the above happen and i must tag the chhapter headings by hand. (slow and tedious, but ok, good, all done)
4. sometimes the same as #3 happens, but when i put my cursor next to the chapter heading text and click for a level, nothing happens. often this happens on odd numbered chapters whereas the even numbered ones create fine.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
#3, Place the cursor in the Middle, then select header #

If the original code is a mish-mash of Spans and junk, I have sometime had to highlight the text and Select Remove formatting on the format menu
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
#3, Place the cursor in the Middle, then select header #

If the original code is a mish-mash of Spans and junk, I have sometime had to highlight the text and Select Remove formatting on the format menu
that's the odd thing, let's say chapter 1 (called simply '1') has accepted the status of a heading 2, but the code in '2' is exactly the same as was '1', but nothing happens when i choose heading 2 (or any other level). so there's because of the single character status of '2' there's no place we can call the middle. oddly also, i can save the epub and reopen it and then '2' will accept heading 2 status. or alternately i can go in a change the code manually.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
that's the odd thing, let's say chapter 1 (called simply '1') has accepted the status of a heading 2, but the code in '2' is exactly the same as was '1', but nothing happens when i choose heading 2 (or any other level). so there's because of the single character status of '2' there's no place we can call the middle. oddly also, i can save the epub and reopen it and then '2' will accept heading 2 status. or alternately i can go in a change the code manually.
My Middle is anywhere except at the ends
Yes, I have see Sigil not do things that it did fine the day before (or earlier in the book )
There is no 'pattern' to reproduce, so it can't be reported (with an expectation of other than 'Can't Duplicate')
Old 07-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool hmmm...

Quote:
My Middle is anywhere except at the ends
Yes, I have see Sigil not do things that it did fine the day before (or earlier in the book )
There is no 'pattern' to reproduce, so it can't be reported (with an expectation of other than 'Can't Duplicate')
well i'd like a demo of you placing the cursor anywhere except at the ends of a number 1!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
well i'd like a demo of you placing the cursor anywhere except at the ends of a number 1!
Ooo! A single character Heading.
Make it 2 chars by adding a space in there

But why not switch to CV and S&R?

<p class="something">(\d+)</p>
<h3 class="something">\1</h3>

The something class sometimes centers and otherwise styles the heading, so I usually review and leave it in place
Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool er...CV and S&R?

Quote:
Ooo! A single character Heading.
Make it 2 chars by adding a space in there

But why not switch to CV and S&R?

<p class="something">(\d+)</p>
<h3 class="something">\1</h3>

The something class sometimes centers and otherwise styles the heading, so I usually review and leave it in place
ok then a demo of placing the cursor in the middle between a digit and a space

huh...search for a cover letter?

i've stored your code snippet for future use.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
ok then a demo of placing the cursor in the middle between a digit and a space
If you add it, the place the cursor before.

for non visible at end characters:
Place cursor on the line: Tap 'end': tap the Left cursor arrow key (Not the backspace)

huh...search for a cover letter?

i've stored your code snippet for future use.
Remember to replace "something" with what you find in the actual code
Old 07-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool yup

Quote:
Remember to replace "something" with what you find in the actual code
right...got it [i think]
Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Xopher H
Xopher H began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
The thing that drives me nuts about Sigil is that I would like to do the exact opposite. I would like to prevent it from generating a ToC. I've already gone through and edited the ToC file by hand, so that I have exactly what I want. Unfortunately, whenever I open the ePub in Sigil, it overwrites the old ToC and replace it with its own, based on the h1, h2, etc. codes. Is there any way I can suppress the ToC generation?
Xopher H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Why would you like to prevent the TOC? If you don't want it, don't use it. On most readers you have specifically call up the TOC.
You can make an empty TOC though. If you bring up the TOC editor, you can indicate which chapter you don't want to have in your TOC.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Xopher H

What I'm saying is that Sigil keeps overwriting the .ncx file that I've manually modified to be in the structure that I like. One of the problems with using heading tags is that they also stylize the text, rather than just marking it.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xopher H View Post
What I'm saying is that Sigil keeps overwriting the .ncx file that I've manually modified to be in the structure that I like. One of the problems with using heading tags is that they also stylize the text, rather than just marking it.
@Xopher:

Firstly, you can set the heading styles to be whatever you want in the CSS--as "styled" or not as you choose. Anyone who's hand-crafting his ncx certainly knows how to do that, gotta be kid's play for you.

Secondly, just from an html/css/epub/xhtml standard, when crafting epubs, people should think about what an element is, rather than what it looks like. I've lost track of how many crappy books I've seen because somebody used a heading style to create something that isn't a structural element. Not saying this is you--just using this as an opportunity to spout a bit about something irksome. Despite Microsoft's "hijacking" of headers 1-6 to be stylistic elements, rather than structural, headers still serve an actual structural purpose in a document/epub, and should be used for TOC's, IMHO. (This is not to say that one mightn't have other items, like a Table of Illustrations, that needs something else to create it...but I've found 6 header styles to be plenty even for the most complex book and TOC, myself, and we've done hundreds of books of all types).

Thirdly, use Sigil in beta, 0.4-something, which gives you the option to keep your existing ncx or to create a new one from headers. It won't overwrite your carefully hand-crafted ncx unless you tell it to. Now, note: the beta is buggy; but it might work nicely for you, given your issue.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
To keep your old TOC while using the released 3.4 version of Sigil look here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117809
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #15
Xopher H

Thanks very much, Hitch and DaleDe. I'll check out that software.