Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #661
ben_r_
ben_r_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Worked perfectly on my Paperwhite 1 running 5.3.9! Thanks!

Last edited by ben_r_; 01-28-2014 at 04:37 PM.
ben_r_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #662
blamwham
blamwham began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2 5.4.2
Thank you NiLuJe

From the wiki page:
"Kindle Paperwhite: This Paperwhite Jailbreak already includes everything that you need. Note that you will have to re-install the rescue pack if you update your firmware to 5.3.3 or higher. "

I do not understand what "already includes everything that you need" means. Are all the files I need to do a complete back-up already in the kindle-jailbreak-1.8.N.zip file? I read the contents of the file but I am still cloudy-brained.

If my Kindle came with firmware 5.4.2. do I still need to (re-)install the the rescue pack? I found k5_rescue_pack_20131220.zip. Is this the file I need to install?
blamwham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 AM   #663
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@blamwham: Good catch. That applied to the previous PW JB, which contained the Kindlet JB & the rescue pack. This only does one thing: JB the device.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #664
blamwham
blamwham began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2 5.4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@blamwham: Good catch. That applied to the previous PW JB, which contained the Kindlet JB & the rescue pack. This only does one thing: JB the device.
Cool. Thanks.
blamwham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #665
jagoda
jagoda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
hello guys .
i cant find any posts about the sitation with 5.4.2.1 ...
can i jailbreak it with your jailbreak and my FW?
greets
jagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #666
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jagoda: AFAIK, yes.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #667
MNaseer
MNaseer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Hello again

Like the title says, here's a FW 5.0.x - 5.4.2 JailBreak!

The payload is based on yifanlu's jailbreak, with a few tweaks to make it more Touch/PaperWhite centric,
and a fantastic new delivery method discovered by yossarian17. So, as always, thanks to everyone involved in Touch & PaperWhite hacking, particularly yifanlu, ixtab, geekmaster, eureka & yossarian17 .

In addition, this is also the home of the K5 (Touch/PaperWhite) port of the USBNetwork hack .

Latest Updates (12/06/2013):

JailBreak v1.8.N (New delivery method, PW2 support!), USBNetwork v0.15.N (proper PW2 support).

INSTALL:

Jailbreak:
Spoiler:

Download the attached kindle-jailbreak-1.8.N.zip file, and unpack it. In here, you'll find a few files.
Unzip the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. The updater won't actually ever run, this is normal. After a few seconds, the words **** JAILBREAK **** will appear at the bottom of your screen to confirm that the device is jailbroken .

And that's it, your Kindle is now ready to install custom hacks!

NOTE TO PW2 OWNERS:

If the Update Your Kindle link stays grayed out, and you can't find your specific model in the current list of Kindle models, please reply to this thread with: the exact model of your device (WiFi/3G), the country it was bought in/shipped to, and finally, and most importantly, the first four characters of its serial number (Settings -> Device Info).

ChangeLog:
Spoiler:
  • Jailbreak:
    • v1.2.N:
      • Works on firmware <= 5.1.2 .
    • v1.3.N:
      • Minor tweaks for robustness.
    • v1.4.N:
      • Proper PaperWhite support.
    • v1.5.N:
      • A few minor model detection fixes.
    • v1.6.N:
      • Proper support for the UK 3G PW.
    • v1.7.N:
      • Implement a 'bridge' to carry the JailBreak over the 5.3.0 update (following a suggestion from eureka, thanks!). (See the Bridge section)
    • v1.8.N:
      • New delivery mechanism w/ PW2 support, thanks to yossarian17 .
  • Doc: $Id: MR_THREAD 10222 2013-12-10 21:35:45Z NiLuJe $
Device Info
Wi-fi MAC address: F0:4F:7C0:525
Serial Number: B024 1502 2473 0L6W
Network Capability: Wi-Fi
Firmware Version: Kindle 5.3.9 (2173120010)
Space Awailable: 594 MB free

From Maldives
MNaseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #668
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@MNaseer: That's a PW1, so, nope, no issues either . Same checklist as the last few answers.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #669
BrentB
Connoisseur
BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I am at 5.4.2 now and have applied the Jailbreak. If I update to 5.4.2.1 will I need to Jailbreak again afterwards?

Anyone know if 5.4.2.1 has "fixed" the cloud collection issue?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #670
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@BrentB-
-It has been reported by several people that the Jailbreak survives the update to 5.4.2.1
-From what people are writing, it does not appear that the cloud collection 'issue' was improved.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #671
Bookbear
Bookbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I had applied the jailbreak and the screensaver hack to my wife's new Kindle Paperwhite 2 for her just after Christmas. Everything worked fine until she ordered a book yesterday and apparently got as a bonus firmware v.5.4.2.1 Now, her screensavers have reverted to the original ones, so at least in this case, the hack did not survive the update. Any ideas?
Bookbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #672
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Bookbear: Expected behaviour of 5.3 & 5.4 updates. Reinstall your hacks .
Old 01-31-2014, 09:52 PM   #673
Green Wenonah
Green Wenonah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (2013)
Hi All,
I had previously installed the jailbreak on my PW2 5.4.2 and it was working fine with KUAL, etc... I got silent updated to 5.4.2.1 the other day which pulled me back into the Amazon fold.
Today, I tried to re-jailbreak the device; it seemed to work (***jailbreak*** at the bottom of the screen) but KUAL says the jailbreak kindlet isn't installed. I restarted device and tried again, no-joy.

Any suggestions?

"If I could explain it in layman's terms, I wouldn't be worth the Nobel Prize."
Richard Feynmann
Green Wenonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #674
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Green Wenonah
The Kindlet Jailbreak is different than the Jailbreak..reinstall the Kindlet Jailbreak which I think you'll find as one of the KUAL prerequisites.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 PM   #675
Green Wenonah
Green Wenonah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@Green Wenonah
The Kindlet Jailbreak is different than the Jailbreak..reinstall the Kindlet Jailbreak which I think you'll find as one of the KUAL prerequisites.
So I just discovered. Installed Kindlet via Update and suddenly KUAL works. Guess I have to go through some of the steps again to recover full functionality... This time I'm going to disable silent updates.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Green Wenonah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch