Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
rach_h1982
rach_h1982 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Mobi duplicate text

Hi

First of all, apologies If I am posting this in the wrong thread or it has already been answered somewhere else - I have spent 2 hours searching and still stuck.

I am a complete newbie and have very little experience so all answers as simple as can be please

So I acquired a cd of many ebooks and I loaded them into calibre to put on my kindle.

I have found that most of the ones in mobi format cut the paragraphs up in weird spaces and often have duplicate paragraphs of text - this is a frequent problem and occurs all the way through the ebook.

for example: (spacing and breaks exactly as on file)

Chapter 1

November 1793

She stood tall in the dock, her hands resting lightly on the polished surface of the bar that separated her from her accusers. The wooden rail was warm despite the chill of the room, it sent heat into the icy flesh of her fingers, and Jacqueline wondered if the prisoner before her had gripped the bar in fury or in

desperation. As she faced her five judges, who were yawning and shifting with weariness and boredom while the charges against her were read, she decided it was easy enough to feel both.

desperation. As she faced her five judges, who were yawning and shifting with weariness and boredom while the charges against her were read, she decided it was easy enough to feel both.

She pulled her gaze away from the judges, who instead of listening to the public prosecutor were busy arguing over how many cases they had yet to hear before they could retire for the day. Her eyes swept over the audience. The rough men and women who packed the courtroom were obviously enjoying the proceedings immensely.

Is there any way for me to fix this? All help gratefully received. Thanks!
rach_h1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that this is a commercial eBook ("Surrender to a Stranger" by Karyn Monk, published by Bantam Books in 2006) your best bet would be to go back to the bookstore where you bought it and ask for assistance there. There may be a problem with the book.

Where did you buy it from?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
rach_h1982

Its not just this book - I have a few that a friend gave me on a cd all by different authors with the same conversion problem.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid that these are very likely pirated books, rach, and we really can't give you any assistance here. I'd strongly urge you to buy your books from legitimate sources.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
rach_h1982

Oh no, I did wonder

I completely understand and will give the cd back buy them instead. Thanks for your help.
Advert