Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
Battery life low

I have a Classic Nook WiFi that I bought about 4-5 months ago. I made a test and charged it fully. Read 166 pages and the battery is at 23%, WiFi disabled. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? Should I buy another replacement battery?
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
You should go to the store and ask them what the problem is. Dedicated e-readers should do better than that. That's the whole point of having one over a tablet or something. The screen and the battery life. Definitely see what the retailer says.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypresstwist View Post
I have a Classic Nook WiFi that I bought about 4-5 months ago. I made a test and charged it fully. Read 166 pages and the battery is at 23%, WiFi disabled. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? Should I buy another replacement battery?
How many hours since you charged it? The only way I would expect that from my nook is if I left it unused for a couple days after charging it and then read 166 pages. And I rarely turn the wifi off.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Yes, how can we answer this without knowing how much TIME it took for you to read the 166 pages?

I would say my 4-month old Nook takes about 8 hours to go from 100% down to 23%, using it for straight reading with WiFi off.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Yes, how can we answer this without knowing how much TIME it took for you to read the 166 pages?

I would say my 4-month old Nook takes about 8 hours to go from 100% down to 23%, using it for straight reading with WiFi off.
Actually, with the wifi off, time has little impact on e-ink devices. The biggest impact on battery use is when the LCD screen is on or you turn a page. The battery loss would be the same if it took me 10 hours to read 166 pages and it took you 5 hours to read 166 pages.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
The biggest impact on battery use is when the LCD screen is on or you turn a page
I don't understand this. If the biggest impact (along with page turns) is "when the LCD is on" then what about it being on is the determining factor, if not the amount of TIME it is on?

Interesting that the page turns are a significant factor, but please explain what you mean about 5 hours and 10 hours being the same, but then that the time being on is a factor. Isn't the screen on 5 hours in one case and 10 hours in the other?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
jhitesma
jhitesma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic & Nook Color
Quote:
I don't understand this. If the biggest impact (along with page turns) is "when the LCD is on" then what about it being on is the determining factor, if not the amount of TIME it is on?

Interesting that the page turns are a significant factor, but please explain what you mean about 5 hours and 10 hours being the same, but then that the time being on is a factor. Isn't the screen on 5 hours in one case and 10 hours in the other?
Don't get the LCD and the eInk screens confused.

The LCD screen draws power when it's on - so the longer the LCD screen is on the more power it will draw. With the LCD time IS a factor.

With the eInk screen it's only redrawing the page that really uses power. Once the screen is drawn the eInk screen uses almost no power at all to maintain it's display. So in regards to the eInk screen the number of pages displayed is a bigger factor in power usage than how long those pages are displayed. Which means if you don't do anything that turns the LCD on it doesn't matter if you take 5 hours or 10 hours to read 166 pages - the power use will be almost identical since you're only using the eInk screen and it only uses power when redrawing the screen.

(Ok, yes the eInk does use a little bit of power when it's on. But it's such a tiny amount that time really isn't much of a factor over periods of less than a few days. That's why when the nook sleeps it can display an image instead of fully powering down.)
jhitesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
RAH
Guru

I see. So basically it is the page turns that determine the power used - i.e. they are what requires the screen to be redrawn. Or jumping around between books (go to the library, pick another one, etc).

So I suppose if a person used a large font, as I do, it would use up more power because there are more page turns and more screen redraws. Right?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I see. So basically it is the page turns that determine the power used - i.e. they are what requires the screen to be redrawn. Or jumping around between books (go to the library, pick another one, etc).

So I suppose if a person used a large font, as I do, it would use up more power because there are more page turns and more screen redraws. Right?
That's correct.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:01 AM   #10
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
I read 166 pages in two days, not using the LCD screen (except when it turns on while hitting the power button to wake up the device). Wifi was off. If I remember correctly, the previous firmware was more battery-life efficient.
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
Don't get the LCD and the eInk screens confused.

The LCD screen draws power when it's on - so the longer the LCD screen is on the more power it will draw. With the LCD time IS a factor.

With the eInk screen it's only redrawing the page that really uses power. Once the screen is drawn the eInk screen uses almost no power at all to maintain it's display. So in regards to the eInk screen the number of pages displayed is a bigger factor in power usage than how long those pages are displayed. Which means if you don't do anything that turns the LCD on it doesn't matter if you take 5 hours or 10 hours to read 166 pages - the power use will be almost identical since you're only using the eInk screen and it only uses power when redrawing the screen.
But the screen is not the only part of the device that uses power. The nook is a computer; like any other computer the CPU, memory, etc, all use power.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But the screen is not the only part of the device that uses power. The nook is a computer; like any other computer the CPU, memory, etc, all use power.
Yes, but that has a small impact on battery life. There would be a minimal difference in battery usage if I just "flipped" through 100 pages and you read 100 pages Based on my experience, I'd estimate less than 3%.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found that leaving wifi on doesn't make much difference in battery life, since the time the device spends using wifi without prompting is very small. Using the wifi actively (like shopping, downloading, web-browsing, or reloading the library) makes more of a difference.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
ibdave
ibdave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Then I wonder about what 'sleep mode' is all about. Why redraw the screen and what does go to sleep mean?
ibdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdave View Post
Then I wonder about what 'sleep mode' is all about. Why redraw the screen and what does go to sleep mean?
Sleep mode does a couple things. It caches what's in memory. It will do some wifi/3G functionality (scheduled downloads for pre-ordered books, sync) periodically if wifi is on; but more importantly it locks out the touchscreen and page turn buttons!

Tags
battery, nook, nook classic