Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Firefly: Backlight has too much bright at minumum level

Is there any way to dim even more backlight when at minimum level? Does not matter if I need to touch some configuration file or any other complex stuff.

When reading without ambient light, integrated light is too high even at lowest level. For example, my Kindle Paperwhite has more dim levels.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, told in other words: where is stored the option (level of light)? I've done a turn around internal file system and found nothing.
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Hi, I might be giving misinformation but maybe this will help:
unofficial v. 1.8 20130114 firmware was said to allow for dimmer front light output at the lowest setting. I had it installed a while ago and the light seemed dimmer to me than with the firmware I have now (latest Booxtors), but it might be just a subjective impression since I don't have a measuring instrument. You can try installing yourself and/or comparing the content of the zip files.
Here's the download link.

Last edited by yayo; 05-08-2013 at 11:47 AM.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
rfog
Guru

Great! Thanks Yayo!

I'm going to test both versions. We have two devices (my wife and me) and I can do compared tests (like photos in the original thread).

I'll go to original thread and post results once done.

BTW, our versions are "Tagus Lux", from "Casa del Libro", some kind of Spanish Barnes and Noble, but they are i62HD Firefly but with 256MB of RAM and no side buttons. Booxtor firmware works fine.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup, I used to lurk at the Lectores Electronicos forum before the user Aprendiz left so I know the Tagus and I'm really curious of your findings regarding the firmware.
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
rfog
Guru

Yes, I'm at Lectores Electrónicos with same nick, but lately not participating much there.

Now we've decided to abandon Amazon because Big Brother stuff (lately, each time we read a book not purchased in Amazon, we receive spam like "once you've read blahblah perhaps you would like read blah blah"). We've just sold our Kindles and purchased Tagus because are cheaper than i62HD and we know are the same device.

In relation to firmware I cannot found any difference between them. All of them lights equal. Only changes seems icon battery. No photos because they are equal.

I would like to know how works the light regulation program in order to modify it or create a new one as standalone app. (Last option will be open device and do some soldering).
Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
Lectores Electrónicos .... I'm there too ...
I'm interested in know about your findings Rfog .
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
Lectores Electrónicos .... I'm there too ...
I'm interested in know about your findings Rfog .
Me too. But I think I simply don't like any light shining in my face (as opposed to attachable lamps or the Sony lighted cover solution that shine on the display).
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
PLease just try our last update. The too bright Moon Light is one of the solved issues there.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
PLease just try our last update. The too bright Moon Light is one of the solved issues there.
Thank you but nope.

Too high at least in my Tagus Lux. And equal than other firmware.

A lot (but a very lot) of higher than in Kindle Paperwhite.

Other wrong thing is that on power on it flashes. Your PWM is bad done (This happens in ALL firmwares). It is not a real problem but an issue. I prefer to get repaired COOLREADER bugs before this one, for example.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Thank you but nope.

Too high at least in my Tagus Lux. And equal than other firmware.

A lot (but a very lot) of higher than in Kindle Paperwhite.

Other wrong thing is that on power on it flashes. Your PWM is bad done (This happens in ALL firmwares). It is not a real problem but an issue. I prefer to get repaired COOLREADER bugs before this one, for example.
This is weird, because on all Fireflies, where I tried new software, the brightnes of Moon Light in lowest position hardly recognisable (even too dark). Now I am reading in complete darkness at comfortable 40-50% ML level. I guess something is wrong with your Tagus ...
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Onyx M92 +i62HD(m)+M92(m)x20+M90x13
Our Technical Support advised to resolder the resistor on the one who has more resistance.
Quote:
R240. Look at the board directly under the battery next to the biggest capacitor.
There were 2 variants of wiring board. In the first - from The sides of the screen, in the second - the reverse.
Наша техподдержка посоветовала перепаять резистор на тот у кого большее сопротивление.
Quote:
R240. Смотрите на плате прямо под аккумулятором, рядом с самым большим конденсатором.
Было 2 варианта разводки платы. В первом - со строны экрана, во втором - с обратной.
Kirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
yayo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
This is weird, because on all Fireflies, where I tried new software, the brightnes of Moon Light in lowest position hardly recognisable (even too dark). Now I am reading in complete darkness at comfortable 40-50% ML level. I guess something is wrong with your Tagus ...
hmmmm, I wish I could confirm this but I can't. At minimum brightness my 128MB Firefly (November 2012) is still a tad too bright, while at 50% it's way way too bright.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Techbar
TechnoGeek
Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Likebook Mars, Boox Kepler Pro, InkBook Obsidian
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
hmmmm, I wish I could confirm this but I can't. At minimum brightness my 128MB Firefly (November 2012) is still a tad too bright, while at 50% it's way way too bright.
Same for my 128MB firefly too...
Techbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
ben1111ben
ben1111ben began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx boox i62 ml
It can't be modified by software. In fact, many people in China also encountered the same problem. The Onyx worked for more than one month and found that the only way to solve it is to adjust hardware. So you need to sent the firefly back to Onyx.
ben1111ben is offline   Reply With Quote