Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Sideloading

Can someone please tell me what sideloading is?
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Can someone please tell me what sideloading is?
The usual way to enter and exit an automobile?

In this context: using a program or method other than the Kobo Desktop application and/or Adobe Digital Editions to copy an e-book to the Kobo. The Calibre program, Windows Explorer and Mac OSX's Finder are programs typically used to sideload e-books.

At least that's how I understand it today.
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Can someone please give exact step by step instructions on how to side load using Windows Explorer?
Calibre and my Kobo will not talk to each other - rather childish I know but that's how it is.

I have tried several times to sideload with Explorer and while the Kobo is connected to the computer the books appear to be on the Kobo however when I unplug the books do not exist.
Am I doing something wrong? Although surely it's just like dragging something onto a USB stick or a portable hard drive isn't it?

EDIT: OK so I finally gave up and did a factory reset. I didn't want to do that as it meant that I would lose all my books. But now sideloading through Windows Explorer works the way I expected it to. Obviously my problem was not sideloading but that my database was a bit dodgy - AGAIN!

Last edited by HarleyB; 09-27-2011 at 01:36 AM.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
EDIT: OK so I finally gave up and did a factory reset. I didn't want to do that as it meant that I would lose all my books. But now sideloading through Windows Explorer works the way I expected it to. Obviously my problem was not sideloading but that my database was a bit dodgy - AGAIN!
A microSD card will do wonders in this respect as the books stay on after a factory reset!
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Can someone please give exact step by step instructions on how to side load using Windows Explorer?
Calibre and my Kobo will not talk to each other - rather childish I know but that's how it is.
Windows should treat your Kobot Touch as an external drive (i.e. like a flash drive or MP3 player)

To sideload using Windows Explorer:

Plug in your Kobo Touch and wait until Windows recognizes the new drive
Open a window with the drive/folder of the book you want to copy
Open a window with the new drive (the Kobo Touch)
Drag and drop the books from your computer to the Kobo Touch.
Safely disconnect your Kobo Touch

The new book(s) should be on your Kobo Touch.
If you put in a microSd card it should open as soon as you connect to your computer as yet another drive letter. I put all my sideloaded books on the microSD card because library books and books bought from Kobo tend to go on the internal memory
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I will stick to my SD card.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote