Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
AZW de-DRM'd to HTMLZ

Hi,

I know that talking about HOW to do it is illegal, but talking about it is probably not (at least I hope so).

I bought a book that was only available on Amazon and when I tried to strip the DRM, Calibre ended up with a book in HTMLZ format... what the heck do I do with it? Why didn't it convert to MOBI like it usually does?

Thanks for the help!
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you remove the DRM from an AZW eBook, you end up with Mobipocket. AZW is just Mobipocket with different DRM. Try the stand along DRM stripper instead of the plug-in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm.. after running the deDRM python script manually, I get this as part of the conversion log:
Code:
Processing Section: metadata 
Successfully Extracted Topaz contents
Updating to color images if available
Creating cover.jpg
Processing Dictionary
Processing Meta Data and creating OPF
Processing StyleSheet
           Using font size: 116
           Using page height: 12960
           Using page width: 8640
Processing Glyphs
Processing Pages
Processing Complete

Book Successfully generated
   Creating NoDRM HTMLZ Archive
   Creating SVG HTMLZ Archive
   Creating XML ZIP Archive
So this might've been a Topaz file?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
probably was a topaz book not azw, just convert the htmlz to mobi or epub or whatever the format of your choice is.

edit: you beat me with your post
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The book is a Topaz book. This line gives it away:

Quote:
Successfully Extracted Topaz contents
Amazon has two different formats MOBI and TPZ. AZW being Amazon DRMed MOBI. TPZ is a very different file format and that plugin produces HTMLZ (it was originally created for calibre by me to allow for converting an EPUB to a single HTML file).

HTMLZ is a ZIP archive with a single HTML file inside of it. HTMLZ also has a few things like a metadata.opf file. As stated you can import the HTMLZ into calibre and convert to your preferred format.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Caleb666
Zealot

Strangely enough, the file extension was AZW, and not AZW1 or TPZ.
The book contains mostly text, aside from a few diagrams, and the front matter seems to be mostly scanned (copyright page, for example).

Chapter headings seem to be SVGs, and the first letter of a sentence in the beginning of a chapter is a fancy glyph.
So far, my attempts at converting this to ePub/Mobi have failed. The inline table of contents ends up looking different than the original book:
Original:

EPUB:

And that glyph that starts a sentence is gone:
Original:

EPUB:

Last edited by Caleb666; 08-17-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
topaz never converts well, be happy if it's readable.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Amazon uses AZW for all their files, doesn't matter what the actual binary file is. In the past the extension can vary based on how you downloaded the ebook.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #9
Caleb666
Zealot

Edit: n/m

Last edited by Caleb666; 08-18-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I notice that you have an iPad. Could you not simply read the book in the Kindle app on the iPad?

Topaz books really don't convert well to other formats; they tend to be used in situations where you have complex layouts that can't be easily be implemented in Mobi format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
Caleb666
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I notice that you have an iPad. Could you not simply read the book in the Kindle app on the iPad?

Topaz books really don't convert well to other formats; they tend to be used in situations where you have complex layouts that can't be easily be implemented in Mobi format.
Yes, I can read it on my iPad, but I also like stripping DRM of every eBook I buy for backup purposes. Seems like it's not really going to work with this one.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

The Calibre plugin only creates a htmlz file - if you use the standalone plugin for Topaz there are actually two output options - one is htmlz, just like Calibre, but the other is SVG - the SVG option basically gives you a pdf-like file made up exclusively of SVG. It's a true 'backup' of the topaz file, but it's a one-way backup - you could use the SVG to convert to PDF (or even an ePub that iBooks could render), but you can't convert it back to Topaz.

What's nice about the SVG export option is it looks exactly like the printed book, as this was the whole point of Topaz - emulate the printed book exactly, but also allow reflow. That said, I don't think a lot of people use that option, so it's limited in a few ways, give it a try and see if you like it.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
Yes, I can read it on my iPad, but I also like stripping DRM of every eBook I buy for backup purposes. Seems like it's not really going to work with this one.
It's not that you can't remove the DRM - you can. The issue is more that you can't convert it to any other format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool just convert htmlz to mobi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
Hi,

I know that talking about HOW to do it is illegal, but talking about it is probably not (at least I hope so).

I bought a book that was only available on Amazon and when I tried to strip the DRM, Calibre ended up with a book in HTMLZ format... what the heck do I do with it? Why didn't it convert to MOBI like it usually does?

Thanks for the help!
calibre can convert htmlz to any of its supported formats which, of course, includes mobi.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
ldolse
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
calibre can convert htmlz to any of its supported formats which, of course, includes mobi.
While that's true, there's no guarantee that a Topaz sourced htmlz will look anything like the original book since it relies on the OCR text that's normally invisible in the actual topaz file. And images/tables can sometimes get screwed up or mis-interpreted as text - it's not ideal, but it's certainly better than nothing, and really the best that's possible.

The only way to improve on what the plugin does is to use the option to create SVG, then convert to jpg/tiff images, and finally re-do the OCR and editing yourself from scratch with something like ABBY finereader. Generally not worth it unless you REALLY want a perfect ebook edition.