Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
riverteeth
Enthusiast
riverteeth began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
PDF eReader with excellent annotating functions?

I'm a grad student in the market for an ereader with decent PDF support, the ability to easily highlight and take lots of notes in books and articles, and the ability to sync those annotations with versions on my computer at home. I've see lots of discussions about the former, but less about the latter two. Here are my requirements, followed by a (incomplete) list of readers with their relative pros and cons. I'd like to get a reader as close to my ideal as possible, but I realize compromise is inevitable! Please comment if you can!

Primary use: Reading AND taking notes on journal articles, mostly PDFs, but some other formats. Some of my PDFs have actual PDF formatting (table of contents, ability to select text), but others are scanned images of books in Chinese (so no selecting text... a touch screen would seem to be the only solution)

Would replace:
printed copies, or reading and annotating in computer PDF software like Adobe Acrobat.

Computer: Mac

eBook software: Calibre

Most important features:
- true epaper display (no LCD screen tablets).
- large enough screen to view full width of a PDF without having to zoom left and right (cutting page into two or three vertical parts is fine).
- highlights and notes I can sync with my Mac, so that my annotations are there whether I'm viewing file on my eReader or on my Mac (For PDFs, I think it would be ideal if they could be saved in the PDF itself, like Adobe Acrobat does).

Least important features:
- 3G connectivity
- Associated bookstore like Kindly store
- Other functions like a good browser, etc.

Notes:
- I think my ideal ereader would essentially be a light, epaper device that allows me to mark up my PDFs with a stylus in a similar way that I do with a pen on paper, or with mark-up tools in Adobe Acrobat. These files would then be viewable with my notations in Acrobat on my computer at home.
- I'm considering getting a Kindle 3 as a second device for casual eBook reading, just cause it's so cheap and easy to read on.
- I'm in Taiwan, so obtaining an Asus might be the easiest. I can't find the Sony readers on sale anywhere here, so if I decide on Sony or Kindle, I might have to order it from the US.
- I've heard Pocketbook and Hanvon readers have excellent PDF support, but I haven't found much info about them, or where I might get one.

eReader Notes:

Asus Eee Note EA-800, $200

Pros:
- large display
- looks awesome for notating due to Wacom stylus screen

Cons:
- stylus only touch (Sony can use finger or stylus)
- readability (not a true epaper display)
- batter life, only 10 hours

Asus DR-900 eReader

Pros:
- readability: ePaper display (Sipix, not E-ink pearl)

Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, $300

Pros:
- large 7" screen makes text larger in landscape mode
- readability: Pearl
- touch screen, looks best for taking notes next to Eee Note.
- syncing: looks not to be a problem, plays with mac (not sure about annotations though)

Sony PRS-650

Pros:
- portability: 6" E-ink pearl display (still big enough for PDF support?)
- touch screen, looks best for taking notes next to Eee Note.
- syncing: looks not to be a problem, plays with mac (not sure about annotations though)

Cons:
- Small screen

Kindle 3, $130

Pros:
- portability: 6" E-ink pearl display (still big enough for PDF support?)

Cons:
- small screen
- not as much PDF functionality as Sony readers
- no touch screen

Kindle DX, $380

Pros:
- screen size: seems to be the only device people say you can read a full page of PDF on (without zooming or scrolling)
riverteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
You might want to look at the enTourage eDGe. The full sized eDGe has a 9.7" eink screen and a 10.1" LCD screen. Uses Wacom touch on eink side, finger or stylus on the LCD (they are interconnected). Price depends on where you buy it. The academics in the MobileRead enTourage forum (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218) can tell you more than I can, but I understand it is one of the best devices made for reading/annotating pdfs. I think it plays well with Macs, and I know it works seamlessly with Calibre.

Good luck! I hope you find just the right device!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
You might want to look at the enTourage eDGe.
Good luck! I hope you find just the right device!
Agreed. But take into account the insecure state of the compay behind it. Mind you, didn't have any trouble with my eDGe since I got it last summer.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
riverteeth
Enthusiast

The Entourage eDGe, Ok, I'll add it to my list. It looks really interesting, and I do remember hearing about this last year from CES now. But the Wacom eink screen side is the most interesting to me, and there are some serious downsides that jump out for my use:

Mainly, I don't really need an LCD netbook attached to my ereader. Yes, I can see why it would be great... send web content over to the eink side, download pdfs from journal databases and be reading them in eink right away... but I don't really need this, and it adds a lot of bulk and weight, especially when I carry my laptop (5 pounds) with me 60% of the time.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverteeth View Post
The Entourage eDGe, Ok, I'll add it to my list.
The prices are coming down; Amazon PE $199
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Buying a new device from a company that's in serious trouble is perhaps not a good idea.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Kindle DXG or iPad.

But you said no LCD screen, right? So the only other option is the DXG but annotation and PDF features are not the best.

Sony is another alternative, but it's pricey and small screen; be prepared to zoom a lot and scroll down and up a lot. But the PDF features and annotation are better than Kindle.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
riverteeth
Enthusiast

Jocampo, an iPad is not on my list for similar reasons the eDGe would be low on my list, even if the Entourage didn't seem to be in trouble. It's just overkill. I do read on my Macbook pro, and on my iPhone, so I've never been interested in getting an iPad...

That said, what apps could I use to annotate PDFs in iOS? A quick search in the app store and on google didn't find anything...
Old 04-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Jocampo, an iPad is not on my list for similar reasons the eDGe would be low on my list, even if the Entourage didn't seem to be in trouble. It's just overkill. I do read on my Macbook pro, and on my iPhone, so I've never been interested in getting an iPad...

That said, what apps could I use to annotate PDFs in iOS? A quick search in the app store and on google didn't find anything...
Understood

But the main problem with eink ereaders and PDF, like you'll see soon or from other forum members, is that annotation features are poor or non existing. The Kindle DXG would be great with a most recent firmware but so far we are stuck with an old one.

The app I was talking about is GoodReader it is simple awesome. it was one of the main reasons I bought the iPad. Yes, it's overkilling and you can do much more with an iPad but that combo it's just amazing. Take a look on YouTube and you'll see what you can do with it.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
...the eDGe would be low on my list, even if the Entourage didn't seem to be in trouble. ...
Here is video of the Edge abilities.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
inkyfantastic
inkyfantastic began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge, Pocket Edge
If you want true annotation (and not just highlighting and sticky notes) on an eink screen, the Edge is the only way to go. I'm also a grad student, and I know of what I speak.
inkyfantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
martinglake
martinglake began at the beginning.

Device: sony mobius 13incher
2 years on and the answer is the same

Sony Prs-T1 - for pencil style that can be erased after closing and reopening on PDF or ebook

Do not root it or upgrade the firmware.

I did so and lost my onscreen keyboard and wifi and there was no benifit to the root - the only thing I wanted was the android calendar and this didn't work.
Luckily I use neither and just need this as you do to annotate PDFs and ebooks.

There is no truely mobile device on the market other than the ebook and this is why it will see a resurgence in growth over the next ten years as a administrative field administration device and digital signage.
Mobile phones are tied to their charging docks. The definition for netbook mobility is moving from one charge point to the next...unless you have the place of mind to continually remove your battery or unplug, or can afford a new battery every month after you inevitably leave it plugged in over night ... So there is no alternative....With moder technology it is not a question of adding features but making the most basic features work consistently for a day without battery concerns. Only Eink can do this. And to be fair it could do it in 2005 but the industry is busy milking the fad cow first. Eventually there will only be the functionality market left.

Note the jetbook pro (which I haven't tested) and the sony 13 inch device coming out later this year. Sony and samsung (each with android base) are going to be your best bet. Unfortunatley the T1 and T2 have poor file transfer functionality so lets hope the ability to share the pdfs from one ereader to other devices becomes email based rather than some fadish facebook antifunctionality. For now it's a wire....luckily having and android base - PC connection is plug and play.

Last edited by martinglake; 06-24-2013 at 04:37 PM.
martinglake is offline   Reply With Quote