Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #31
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Strip the DRM, to avoid the arbitrary yanking. Then, if you go over, donate the equivalent of the current overdue fine for physical books for the amount of time you had to keep it extra to finish. Everyone wins. The library gets a donation and you get to finish your book.
And the author? What does the author win?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #32
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
The author gets you buying book #2 because the library only has book #1 and book #3, or so it always seems.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #33
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The author gets you buying book #2 because the library only has book #1 and book #3, or so it always seems.
Yes, of course. As soon as I have run out of all other interesting books to read. Ooops, I'll be dead by then
Helen
Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #34
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like to read series all at once so they get the $ from me!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #35
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Hey!

That's how a lot of the free give aways work.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #36
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
And the author? What does the author win?

Helen
The author wins because the library bought the book in the first place, and you read the book.

And, I might add, I very often get the first book in a series from the library, but then buy later ones because I'm impatient. Just bought two books by Thomas Perry in the Butcher's Boy series because I read the first one downloaded from the Library.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:17 AM   #37
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950 PRS-300
I just read books 1-5 of the John sandford Prey series from the library and they are missing books 6&7 so I'm going to buy them from the Sony store.

It is funny how they have big holes in series like that.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #38
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
The author wins because the library bought the book in the first place, and you read the book.
But...but...but...the library already bought the book before someone stripped the DRM or backdated their reader.

And how many employed or self employed people regularly donate their services, that they depend on for economic survival, for free just for appreciation from the customers. Many authors write to eat and pay rent.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #39
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
But...but...but...the library already bought the book before someone stripped the DRM or backdated their reader.

And how many employed or self employed people regularly donate their services, that they depend on for economic survival, for free just for appreciation from the customers. Many authors write to eat and pay rent.
I fail to see how stripping DRM or backdating readers in any way affects the author's income. The library bought/licensed the book. The author was paid. The person checked it out legitimately. The only thing this does is extend the checkout for that person (in the face of a lack of renewal or fine options).

The only claim I can see is that a slow (or overloaded) reader might have rushed out and bought the book when he/she was unable to complete it within the library's timeline, but I don't consider that a likely outcome.

Bottom line: The author already got his/her money before the book was even checked out and DRM-stripping/backdating doesn't affect that.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:08 AM   #40
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
I fail to see how stripping DRM or backdating readers in any way affects the author's income. The library bought/licensed the book.
In much of Europe the author gets a (small) fee for every time his book is lent out. This is rather academical, of course, if there's a long waiting list anyway. Turnover time, if anything, is rather much quicker (read: instantaneous) with ebooks.

And, yes, I suppose it could be argued that some of the readers who don't finish within the allotted two weeks would then have gone on to buy the book, had they not stripped off the DRM. (Just playing devil's advocate here.)
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #41
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
In much of Europe the author gets a (small) fee for every time his book is lent out. This is rather academical, of course, if there's a long waiting list anyway. Turnover time, if anything, is rather much quicker (read: instantaneous) with ebooks.

And, yes, I suppose it could be argued that some of the readers who don't finish within the allotted two weeks would then have gone on to buy the book, had they not stripped off the DRM. (Just playing devil's advocate here.)
Generally I'd think they'd check it out again. Library readers tend to be able to wait, that's why they don't buy everything new.