Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
salasnet
salasnet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre ePub TOC and Sigil

I apologize before hand if this is more of a Sigil issue, but it only happens to me with ePub books I've generated/converted with Calibre, so I am going on a hunch that it has something to do with ePub generation with Calibre.

I have converted all of my LRF files to ePub in my Calibre library. When I open these ePub books with the Calibre ePub viewer, or inside my Sony Reader, the TOC displays fine.

However, every single ePub that I have opened in Sigil after conversion with Calibre does not recognize that a TOC exists. Furthermore, if I make some edits in Sigil and save, the TOC is completely removed (which makes sense, as when the file was opened it was telling me the file had no TOC.)

Has anybody else encountered this issue? After peeking into the ePub file after Sigil has saved it and comparing it to my original Calibre ePub, I notice that the structure inside is quite different. Relevant?

I have worked around the issue thus:
1. Open ePub from Calibre DB with 7-zip and save the toc.ncx to the folder where the ePub is located.
2. Edit the ePub with Sigil and Save. (This creates a toc.ncx file in the new ePub that has no TOC entries.)
3. Edit the toc.ncx file that I saved to the folder and adjusts the paths to the new ePub folder structure that Sigil generated when saving.
4. Replace the empty toc.ncx file in the ePub with my edited one that I fixed the paths on to match the new ePub structure.

Kind of a bear to have to do this every time I want to edit en ePub in Sigil that is in my Calibre DB and preserve my TOC.

I am using the latest version of Calibre on Windows. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.
salasnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Sigil currently discards any existing TOC and rebuilds it from H1, H2, H3 tags only. Preserving existing TOC is on the Sigil todo list.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This is a Sigil issue, see this issue in Sigil's bug tracking site.

Your workaround is as good as any other for the moment.

If the edits you're doing are simple, try the new Tweak ePub feature.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
salasnet
salasnet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank you very much for the quick answers. This renders Sigil fairly useless as an ePub editor for me at the moment, as all of my ebooks have been generated with Calibre. However, if I have extensive edits that I need to do to a book, it is worth it to me to do my workaround so that I can use Sigil's very nice editing environment.

Looking forward to a future version of Sigil that has this issue resolved!
salasnet is offline   Reply With Quote