Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Pixel Qi "Specialized Tablets" Coming

An interesting article has popped up at GottaBemobile that looks pretty interesting.

There's an embedded YouTube video showing them in what look to be Acer netbooks, but they aren't for sale that way - the manufacturer bought off-the-shelf netbooks and then replaced the screen with some early samples fabricated in a batch of 60.

Has two modes - nice colorful display plus a reflective mode that is easily visible in bright light.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I've seen their demos on a netbook just like my Acer and now they are announcing that not only are they starting up production but they will be starting to provide samples for DIY users. I wonder if I will be able to swap out the screen on my netbook for one of these screens and how it affect my battery life. I've found on my netbook that I can run it for at least 9 hours if I have the brightness all the way down although I've seen the power management say I have up to 12 hours at that brightness. I have a 9 cell battery for it.

By the way, the direct link to their press release.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm not interested in a netbook, but I am interested in some true tablet devices with Pixel-qi touch screens and seeing what they can do.

I need something I can read and mark up A4 PDFs on, that also has a quick refresh rate so I can flip through quickly when reviewing articles I already read, has no lag in the stylus writing (unlike e-ink touch screens to date) etc. And if it is color and can do internet, video, PDA etc. that would be the icing on the cake.

But I want it in something roughly the size of a Kindle DX. And not a netbook with keyboard as I already have PCs and Laptops that serve my needs on that front.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'm not interested in a netbook, but I am interested in some true tablet devices with Pixel-qi touch screens and seeing what they can do.

I need something I can read and mark up A4 PDFs on, that also has a quick refresh rate so I can flip through quickly when reviewing articles I already read, has no lag in the stylus writing (unlike e-ink touch screens to date) etc. And if it is color and can do internet, video, PDA etc. that would be the icing on the cake.

But I want it in something roughly the size of a Kindle DX. And not a netbook with keyboard as I already have PCs and Laptops that serve my needs on that front.
I agree. This is what I want to see as well. Although I do wonder how you get a battery large enough to power the tablet that also lets you keep the form factor of a Kindle DX.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'd like a netbook with a screen that uses as little power as eInk. Not for websurfing, of course, but for mobile writing it would be perfect. You only need black on white. Or dark-gray on off-white, for that matter.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I agree. This is what I want to see as well. Although I do wonder how you get a battery large enough to power the tablet that also lets you keep the form factor of a Kindle DX.
Just have to make some new type of battery that's pretty big in area, but thin, I guess.

To clarify, I'd be fine with a tablet 2-3 times thicker than the DX. Just not much bulkier in terms of overall size area wise. Say something about the size of a legal pad, but thicker.

All assuming they can keep the weight and heat generation to reasonable levels.

So such tech is probably still a few years off.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I'd like a netbook with a screen that uses as little power as eInk. Not for websurfing, of course, but for mobile writing it would be perfect. You only need black on white. Or dark-gray on off-white, for that matter.
really? That is what I and others need...we all only need what you have decided?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard

I don't think Maggie meant it that way at all. No need to over react. The post starts with "I'd like..."

She was just saying what she needed in a netbook to use exclusively for writing.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:

i agree...but I am willing to give those bi-curious convertible netbooks a look see. I would not mind having a more multi-function device as at least an option. I am already getting a Pocketbook 360 for reading novels. But a nice Pixel Qi based full color tablet would be just great perfect for reading reference books. I can hardly wait for this coming CES. I wish I could attend but those days are long gone for me. Just not up to that much effort.

I am also looking to what Pocketbook's large format reader is going to be like as well. But I do expect to hold off until we see the K3 as well as The Que and other readers based on the new plastic substrate panels. Even if they are only B&W if they could just get to 256k greyscale that would not be awful. But I bet we see full color before the end of next year anyway.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
I don't think Maggie meant it that way at all. No need to over react. The post starts with "I'd like..."

She was just saying what she needed in a netbook to use exclusively for writing.
Who over reacted? Or are people supposed to jump up and fart rainbows when others decide what we all need? If that is not what was meant then it should not have been written in the way it was.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Who over reacted? Or are people supposed to jump up and fart rainbows when others decide what we all need? If that is not what was meant then it should not have been written in the way it was.
Again, it started with "I".

You just have to read everything posted on the net as a person's opinion. People don't put much thought into how they write stuff on web forums--myself included. I post in quick breaks from working so I seldom proof anything or put much thought into how what I write comes across.

Anyway, I don't think there was any intent in that post to tell others what they need. Why would anyone try to do that in the first place?

I want what I want out of my devices, I'd don't give a flying crap what others want. I think most people feel the same.

When people make statements like that I just read it as their own opinion, even if it's stated more broadly. No sense in reading it otherwise and getting annoyed and starting arguments etc. IMO.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #12
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I also wonder how difficult it would be to install one of those DIY screens into an existing netbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
But a nice Pixel Qi based full color tablet would be just great perfect for reading reference books.
Just keep in mind that the Pixel Qi technology is only full color in its backlit state. The reflective state is at least mostly desaturated.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
brecklundin
Banned

[QUOTE=Dylrob;685797]I also wonder how difficult it would be to install one of those DIY screens into an existing netbook?

I am kinda curious myself. Might be interesting once we see what is really going to be offered. I kinda like the idea...man I would LOVE a 17" XGA+ version!! hehehehee....

Quote:
Just keep in mind that the Pixel Qi technology is only full color in its backlit state. The reflective state is at least mostly desaturated.
yup, been that way since day one...and I don't mind it at all, I am spoiled with the nice transflective display on my clie nx73v but even on it the color is far from vibrant and quite desaturated but very usable. There is the hint of color but yet, well not. I like the tech here and this is one of the rare cases I do not mind buying into and early adopter situation because it is such promising direction for all of our devices, not simply ebook readers or netbooks. I almost wonder if the mid-to-end of 2010 will be the year we see real strides in low power color panel tech?

The only weak spot I saw in those initial video demo's was the ability to used the panels in that "tweener" area of shade but still outside. As I remember it, they had to wander pretty far into the dark hallway to be able to read the panel as well.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #14
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
You just have to read everything posted on the net as a person's opinion. People don't put much thought into how they write stuff on web forums--myself included. I post in quick breaks from working so I seldom proof anything or put much thought into how what I write comes across.
I always assumed you just copied and pasted from your previous posts whenever a topic would at least slightly fit.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yeah, I suppose I do sound like a bit of a broken record. The Tablet stuff (or a large touch screen reader) is the only thing I really have any interest in related to this sight. My Kindle 1 is fine for my leisure reading needs, so I don't really care about any of the smaller e-ink device discussions. Nor have interest in discussing specific books etc.

I just need something with a large stylus screen (with no lag) for reading and marking up academic PDFs and books, so I tend to post in topics related to that mostly--which of course ends up with the same type of posts repeatedly.

Oh well, hopefully some people working at companies considering such devices read forums like this and see the posts as signs of demand!