Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Another "glitch" of ADE

When I force a pagebreak after a particular element (with "page-break-after: always" CSS rule) it seems the next element's top margin is ignored, and it's rendered (by Adobe Digital Editions) at the top of the next page instead. So, for example:

[code]<div class="dedication">To my wife</div>

<h1>Chapter 1</h1>[</code]

if div.dedication has "page-break-after: always", there is, indeed a page break before Chapter 1, but the heading just ignores the "margin-top: 4em" in h1.

Is this a "bug" in ADE or am I mistaken in my interpretation of how pagebreaks should work? Is there a simple workaround? Any Adobe employee reading this who could fix it? I guess the Sony readers will have the same behaviour, am I right?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Is this a "bug" in ADE or am I mistaken in my interpretation of how pagebreaks should work? Is there a simple workaround? Any Adobe employee reading this who could fix it? I guess the Sony readers will have the same behaviour, am I right?
I actually think this is correct behavior. From the CSS 2.1 spec, "Allowed Page Breaks":

Quote:
In the normal flow, page breaks can occur at the following places:
  1. In the vertical margin between block boxes. When a page break occurs here, the used values of the relevant 'margin-top' and 'margin-bottom' properties are set to '0'.
  2. Between line boxes inside a block box.
These breaks are subject to the following rules:
  • Rule A: Breaking at (1) is allowed only if the 'page-break-after' and 'page-break-before' properties of all the elements generating boxes that meet at this margin allow it, which is when at least one of them has the value 'always', 'left', or 'right', or when all of them are 'auto'.
[Emphasis added]
Seems pretty straightforward. Firefox/libgecko also expresses the same behavior when operating in paginated mode for i.e. printing. Not sure about IE, but the MSReader renderer doesn't ignore the "relevant margin," alas.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great... so how am I to have a forced page break without affecting vertical margins (short of splitting the text in two files)?

A dirty hack would be:

Code:
<div style="page-break-before: always">&nbsp;</div>
before the chapter heading proper, but... well, it's dirty
Old 04-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Hmm... and why doesn't this appear centered?

Quote:
<div class="halftitle">
Frankenhausen<br/>
(1525)
</div>
whith:

Quote:
div.halftitle {
font-style: italic;
font-size: 120%;
text-align: center;
margin: 4em 0 4em 0;
}
The block is more or less centered in the page, but the two lines look almost right-aligned, either the first line has a negative indent or the second a positive one...
Old 04-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Have you tried the following? Not sure if it'll work but it's worth a try. I recall playing with this the past weekend, but I don't have the relevant files in front of me now so I'll have to double-check when I get home.
CSS
Code:
.story {
  page-break-before: always;
}
.chaptitle {
  margin-top: 4em;
}
XHTML
Code:
<div class="dedication">To my wife</div>
<div style="story">
<h1 class="chaptitle">Chapter 1</h1>
<p>First chapter goes here.</p>
</div>
Not at home right now, so I'll have to double-check, but iirc, I use the following for margins

I've never had luck centering text within div. Try using:
CSS
Code:
.halftitle {
  font-style: italic;
  font-size: 120%;
  text-align: center;
  margin: 4em 0 4em 0;
}
XHTML
Code:
<h1 class="halftitle">
Frankenhausen<br/>
(1525)
</h1>
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Great... so how am I to have a forced page break without affecting vertical margins (short of splitting the text in two files)?
I actually think splitting into multiple files is a good solution. Even if you don't want to do it by hand, code to split at page breaks (either via parsing the CSS or just separately-specified @class values) isn't so hard.

Another option is to use padding instead of margins for vertical space you want to be preserved even on the box following a page break.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn

Quote:
The block is more or less centered in the page, but the two lines look almost right-aligned, either the first line has a negative indent or the second a positive one...
I've definitely noticed some wackiness with how ADE handles centering. Double-check your text-indent to be safe? But if that is right, try fiddling with the whitespace within the element. It shouldn't affect how the positioning, but it seemingly does.