Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #61
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Ahhh, The beauty of FireFox with AdBlockPlus. No Google Ads.
i don't like adblockplus, it breaks the ajax on another site i frequent. plus i like ads. this one is hilarious, to start with, and i click on the cybook ad almost daily to get to the bookeen site (well, if i'm going there anyway) because it's always there and it's even faster than the shiny new address bar in ff3.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #62
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i don't like adblockplus, it breaks the ajax on another site i frequent.
Aside from being a household cleanser, I have no idea what Ajax is and why I should be concerned if it breaks.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #63
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Aside from being a household cleanser, I have no idea what Ajax is and why I should be concerned if it breaks.
well, you would be, if it broke... it's code which allows you to do stylie effects on functions. like javascript, but flashier (ar ar ar... if you get that joke, you're a geek, and if you think it's funny, then you probably should seek treatment of some sort). you might not notice it when it's there but you miss it, when it's gone.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #64
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Let's get together and talk about how much we like our eBook readers and MobileRead. Zelda recommends more than two weeks advance planning so people can clear (or block) their calendars and arrange to attend. So, how about Saturday, 23 August? And where's a good location? Looking at the Frappr map, we're scattered around the state. While I'd like everyone to come to Dallas, I guess further south near Killeen or Austin might be a more central location. Of course, if folks come to the Dallas area, we might talk Gideon into coming down from Oklahoma.

So -- talk it up. Location, dates, whatever.
Great idea! I live in the Killeen area and would love to attend. Has the time and place been decided yet? Also, are we bringing more than one E-book reader with us. I have an extensive collection of dedicated devices and will bring according to the needs of the get together.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #65
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Great idea! I live in the Killeen area and would love to attend. Has the time and place been decided yet? Also, are we bringing more than one E-book reader with us. I have an extensive collection of dedicated devices and will bring according to the needs of the get together.

Ellen
well i won't be there but i feel confident in asserting that you should bring as many as you can carry. nate might have a wheelbarrow, if necessary.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #66
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
I think definitely Saturday, 23 August. I suggested Austin since it seems central to those MR folks who have put pins into the Frappr map. I don't know Austin so will be trying to find someone to recommend a meeting place. Killeen might be as easy for most people to get to, and if you wanted to help with "local logistics", maybe we divert to there instead of Austin.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:40 AM   #67
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
love to come...probably won't be able

Wow, I'd love to come even though I'm in Houston.

However, I'll be up in Austen Fri August 1 to talk about ebooks and OLPC to an Austin group. There's an outside chance I'll have a need to go again.

I'm a longtime ebook enthusiast and Teleread editor/contributor.

Also, I broke my cybook yesterday, so today I mailed it all the way back to Paris.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #68
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnagle View Post

However, I'll be up in Austen Fri August 1 to talk about ebooks and OLPC to an Austin group. There's an outside chance I'll have a need to go again.

Also, I broke my cybook yesterday, so today I mailed it all the way back to Paris.
Isn't Paris just up near Dallas?

You Texans - "all the way back" Like you're still the biggest state. Pff!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #69
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
well, you would be, if it broke... it's code which allows you to do stylie effects on functions. like javascript, but flashier (ar ar ar... if you get that joke, you're a geek, and if you think it's funny, then you probably should seek treatment of some sort). you might not notice it when it's there but you miss it, when it's gone.
And to show JUST how geek I am: AJAX effects are created by sending an asynchronous XMLHTTPRequest to a server, with the response handling by JavaScript.

It's a way to let your web page talk to a server and display the results, without making the ENTIRE page refresh.

Ever been to a site that has a search feature, and as you type, it "suggests" a complete word or phrase? AJAX.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #70
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
And to show JUST how geek I am: AJAX effects are created by sending an asynchronous XMLHTTPRequest to a server, with the response handling by JavaScript.

It's a way to let your web page talk to a server and display the results, without making the ENTIRE page refresh.
geek status : confirmed.

Quote:
Ever been to a site that has a search feature, and as you type, it "suggests" a complete word or phrase? AJAX.
like, for example, on this very site, when you are adding a tag. or doing a search, by member name. or the karma boxes... i could be wrong but i bet that stuff is ajax.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #71
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Isn't Paris just up near Dallas?

You Texans - "all the way back" Like you're still the biggest state. Pff!
Just the biggest one with a good road network....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #72
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
geek status : confirmed.

like, for example, on this very site, when you are adding a tag. or doing a search, by member name. or the karma boxes... i could be wrong but i bet that stuff is ajax.
I'd say he has the Titanium Geek Card. Don't leave home without it.

Oh right. geeks don't leave home.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #73
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Yes, vbulletin (the software running this site) uses AJAX heavily. AJAX = Asynchronous JavaScript And XML, I think.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #74
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I think definitely Saturday, 23 August. I suggested Austin since it seems central to those MR folks who have put pins into the Frappr map. I don't know Austin so will be trying to find someone to recommend a meeting place. Killeen might be as easy for most people to get to, and if you wanted to help with "local logistics", maybe we divert to there instead of Austin.
Kileen is ok with me. It's only about 30 miles further than Austin ... so it's certainly doable. And, I've never been up that way, so it would be interesting.

It would be a bit further North for anyone coming from Houston, however, and they've already got several hours of driving ahead of them if they come.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #75
Seant018
Enthusiast
Seant018 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnagle View Post

Paris, Texas? Haha I just happen to be from there Right now I am living outside of Dallas though, going to UNT.
Seant018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, meet-up, texas, usa