Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Unhappy striped screen?

my PB360 has developed a problem with no apparent reasons - every now and then the screen appears striped, as in the picture attached. Sometimes a page turn solves the problem, sometimes it is more persistent: any idea what the problem could be?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0001.bmp (234.5 KB, 339 views)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sounds like the screen controller is failing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sounds like the screen controller is failing.
thanks Jon - do you know whether in general this is something that the warranty would cover (I am still in the warranty period)?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
thanks Jon - do you know whether in general this is something that the warranty would cover (I am still in the warranty period)?
Your warranty should cover this. I'd contact PB and let them know.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your warranty should cover this. I'd contact PB and let them know.
great, many thanks!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
great, many thanks!
Your welcome. Happy to help.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
jedd
Enthusiast
jedd doesn't litterjedd doesn't litterjedd doesn't litter

Device: Pocketboot 360
Quote:
my PB360 has developed a problem with no apparent reasons - every now and then the screen appears striped, as in the picture attached. Sometimes a page turn solves the problem, sometimes it is more persistent: any idea what the problem could be?
I'd really like to know how this pans out with PB Inc - mine's certainly out of warranty by now (it's about 16 months old I think) but in the past few months has occasionally exhibited a stripey (sideways only) line problem. Just as you've experienced, it's periodic, intermittent, affects some parts of the screen (and sometimes the whole screen), may be fixed by turning off and on, or just a page turn. I'd guessed at it being a software problem purely because of the intermittent nature of the problem, though it's been a while since I did a firmware upgrade on this thing (and from memory it didn't coincide).

Have seen it within FBreader as well as in system-settings pages.

j.
jedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It's not a software issue. It's a failing screen controller that will eventually fail.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:46 AM   #9
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedd View Post
I'd really like to know how this pans out with PB Inc - mine's certainly out of warranty by now (it's about 16 months old I think)
one of the reasons why I chose Pocketbook was that they have a 24 months guarantee - which told me that they have faith in their devices. So yours should be covered by warranty as well.
I have written last week and be entered into some sort of electronic system, but I've just eralised that the sreenshot I sent (the one attached here) looks fine - obviously the screenshot does not capture what I can see from outside. If nothing happens by lunchtime, I am going to write again - so far the UK representative ahs been very efficient, so I am confident they will sort it out - but I'll keep you posted!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
jedd
Enthusiast

Quote:
one of the reasons why I chose Pocketbook was that they have a 24 months guarantee - which told me that they have faith in their devices. So yours should be covered by warranty as well.
Oh, this is good news. Mine was bought as a present by my other half, so I'll have to get her to dive into her records to confirm when it was bought. We got it through greenreader - ostensibly UK, but I believe mostly based in EU proper - so I'll drop them a note now too. I'll update back here with any info I get.

As to the photo - I did note your screen grab wasn't especially woeful I'll try to remember to take a pic of this next time it happens - usually I'm 'out and about', rather than somewhere with a decent camera to grab a useful shot of the effect.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
paola
Wizard

Quote:
As to the photo - I did note your screen grab wasn't especially woeful I'll try to remember to take a pic of this next time it happens - usually I'm 'out and about', rather than somewhere with a decent camera to grab a useful shot of the effect.
the attached are more like it - I think there must have been a problem with their automatic system, as I just sent another message this time to a person, and I got an immediate "human" reply - looking good, hopefully!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	schermo1.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	91129   Click image for larger version

Name:	schermo2.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	995.6 KB
ID:	91130   Click image for larger version

Name:	schermo3.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	893.8 KB
ID:	91131  
Old 08-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
jedd
Enthusiast

I haven't heard back from greenreader.co.uk yet - but did get an automated ack-back saying they would respond in time.

Curiously my problem - and I'll post a pic next time it manifests - seems inverted to how yours shows. In my case I get thin lines of off-pixels, rather than on-pixels, so it's somewhat more readable when it happens (but still very obvious and clearly 'not right' when it triggers).
Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have written last week and be entered into some sort of electronic system, but I've just eralised that the sreenshot I sent (the one attached here) looks fine - obviously the screenshot does not capture what I can see from outside. If nothing happens by lunchtime, I am going to write again - so far the UK representative ahs been very efficient, so I am confident they will sort it out - but I'll keep you posted!
If at all possible, call, don't write.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
paola
Wizard

Quote:
I haven't heard back from greenreader.co.uk yet - but did get an automated ack-back saying they would respond in time.

Curiously my problem - and I'll post a pic next time it manifests - seems inverted to how yours shows. In my case I get thin lines of off-pixels, rather than on-pixels, so it's somewhat more readable when it happens (but still very obvious and clearly 'not right' when it triggers).
any progress? I've got nothing back, will have to get in touch with PB Europe (JSWolfe, calling wont' work very well as they dont' seem to have a UK number)
Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
jedd
Enthusiast

Quote:
any progress? I've got nothing back, will have to get in touch with PB Europe (JSWolfe, calling wont' work very well as they dont' seem to have a UK number)

I got a reply back from Ginta at greenreader.co.uk - she asked for a photo of the problem, and annoyingly I haven't yet seen a return of the problem. Admittedly for two of the past four weeks I've not really used the 360, so I should probably just sit down and pick a book and hit next-page repeatedly until it shows up again.

Intermittent problems are the absolute pits, especially ones that involve hardware.