Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
rcs1000
Gadget freak
rcs1000 began at the beginning.

Thumbs up The Gutenburg converter

Hi,

I've knocked up a little .NET applilcation (in IronPython, in case anyone cares) to convert Gutenberg text files into useful RTFs. You can choose font and justification, as well as easily setting author and title.

It's probably buggy as h*ll; if people could test it, and tell me if it is useful, then I'm happy to sort out any problems.

(Oh yes, you may need to install Microsoft .NET 2.0, although in most cases it will already be on your computer.)

Cheers,

Robert
Attached Files
File Type: zip converter.zip (467.3 KB, 493 views)
rcs1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:04 AM   #2
heavyB
heavyB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Treo 600
Robert,

I like how fast & small this is. I've only test a few books and the justification is pretty slick. Going to RTF is pretty cool too, if anything, so you can set Title & Author.

Of course anytime you put something out there, someone's going to pipe up with requests or suggestions, so here I go: If the app could take a guess at the author & title from the file name and pre-populate the text fields, that's be neat, even it it wasn't so accurate, it'd be an easy cut & paste for the user.

More fonts would be slick too.

I've found no bugs as of yet...

Thanks for the tool!
heavyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2006, 03:45 AM   #3
rcs1000
Gadget freak

Nice idea re auto-populate. It shouldn't be too difficult (and once we have that working, then we can bulk convert books).

Re fonts: my only question is this: what fonts does the Reader come with? I've only noticed the one serif (Roman), and the one sans (Swiss)?

Cheers, Robert
Old 11-02-2006, 04:38 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The Reader uses the same fonts as Connect software: Swiss721 BT Roman, Dutch801 Rm BT Roman and Courier10 BT Roman. You can find them in "C:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\fonts".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
rcs1000
Gadget freak

Wow; this is turning out to be a harder task than I thought.

I've been playing with using the Google APIs - passing a search on the name of the text file "sense30.txt", and trying to interpret the first result. But, after a few hours of this, I've realosed that this is a spectacularly stupid way of achieving the goal. I'm sure there is a better way...
Advert
Old 11-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
rcs1000
Gadget freak

New converter application.

OK. Converter will now attempt to "auto populate" the Title and Author fields. It's not perfect - probably never will be - but it'll save you a bunch of time.

Next up: support for HTML versions, with italics, bold, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip converter.zip (467.4 KB, 452 views)
Old 11-03-2006, 11:57 PM   #7
coolblue
coolblue began at the beginning.

Another thing I may add is that I'm able to get far more information on Sony reader from this site than I ever got from the Sony site.
coolblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
OskiBear
OskiBear began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Awesome Job, Robert!

Much thanks!!!
OskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
Fugubot
Connoisseur
Fugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watch

Device: Sony Reader
Just another thanks for making this useful tool available!

If you do add, HTML conversion capabilities, would you consider turning it into a Firefox extension? It would be great to be able to save the web page in a format that is easy to drop into the reader.

Thanks again.
Fugubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:25 AM   #10
rcs1000
Gadget freak

Hello all: HTML conversion capabilities coming along nicely. (Well, nearly nicely, I haven't worked out how to deal with tables and/or CSS yet, but we're getting there.)

Expect a new release tomorrow. Or at the worst on Friday!