Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Kindle Paperwhite drops to 3.5 star rating on Amazon.com

On a quick search, it seems to be the lowest-rated Kindle unit currently for sale on Amazon. I'm not too familiar with the history of Kindles, were any of the older units rated so low?
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
The Touch had a 3 star rating at one point after release, but it's since risen to 4 stars.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

That reminds me, I need to leave a negative review myself. I haven't been this frustrated with Amazon since I went through 3 replacements of my K2 before I got one in which the 3G worked. BTW, since I didn't purchase my K2 until a few months after release, I got at least 2 replacements that were refurbished. For the 3rd replacement I raised holy hell with them until they sent me a new unit, and that one finally worked.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Precise number is 3.7.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That reminds me, I need to leave a negative review myself. I haven't been this frustrated with Amazon since I went through 3 replacements of my K2 before I got one in which the 3G worked. BTW, since I didn't purchase my K2 until a few months after release, I got at least 2 replacements that were refurbished. For the 3rd replacement I raised holy hell with them until they sent me a new unit, and that one finally worked.
I haven't written a review yet either. Not sure what I'm waiting for, I suppose I keep hoping Amazon will admit there's a problem and announce a recall or or other solution. Or that people here will start getting 'good' replacements more frequently.
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I haven't written a review yet either. Not sure what I'm waiting for, I suppose I keep hoping Amazon will admit there's a problem and announce a recall or or other solution. Or that people here will start getting 'good' replacements more frequently.
I haven't been following the PW, so what's the problem with it?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This customer image on amazon.com is possibly the best illustration of the problem I'm having. Other people are having other problems, and different people find the LEDs annoying (or don't), so that accounts for some bad reviews. Generally I'm only referring to the color blobs when I complain.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...totalImages=26
Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Very bad quality control with many units having terrible screens. I estimate that at least 30 Paperwhites have been replaced by MR members. The poll I set up is at 20, but some have had multiple replacements.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Wow, so sorry to see so many are having trouble with their PW. Thankfully I was fortunate enough not to run into any problems with mine. I guess this is my saving grace since I had a lot of trouble with my Touch, I had to have 2 replacements sent before I gave up on it.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Is it possible a firmware upgrade from Amazon could fix all the screen defects?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
This customer image on amazon.com is possibly the best illustration of the problem I'm having. Other people are having other problems, and different people find the LEDs annoying (or don't), so that accounts for some bad reviews. Generally I'm only referring to the color blobs when I complain.
OK, thanks for the info; and it's a shame there are so many problems with it. I wish you well.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here is the review I left:

1.0 out of 5 stars: Dark and Blotchy screen, October 10, 2012

By C. Jack Swinden "W5JCK" (Arlington, TX)

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Electronics)

The screen on my first Kindle Paperwhite was terrible. It had a dark blue green hue with large areas of shadows and blotches and blobs of green and pink. The text did not render consistently as some looked bold and some letters looked washed out. I could not read on it because it was so bad. I got a replacement sent to me and at first it was much better. But after a few days the screen has become shadowy and blotchy much like the first one did. It is slightly better, but not by much. Judging from all the negative posts I've seen on some forums, there are large numbers of the Kindle Paperwhite being returned due to screen defects. I think Amazon's quality control on the Kindle Paperwhite is really bad.

I will say that I've owned seven Kindles prior to the Kindle Paperwhite and this is the first time I've seen problems like this. Kindle Customer Service has been really nice, but too many units seem to be bad. I cannot recommend this product.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I'm almost glad that the Kindle Paperwhite isn't available in Germany, yet. So you're the chosen ones who'll beta test the device.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Is it possible a firmware upgrade from Amazon could fix all the screen defects?
Unlikely. If it was firmware the issue would be universal, not happening on some and not on others. It very much seems like QA issues.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just thought of an analogy to help explain my PW screen when reading. Do you guys remember the first generation of laptops with color screens. Yes, I know those were LCD and this is eInk, but stick with me for a moment. Do you remember how that first generation of laptop LCDs had passive matrix screens? Do you remember how they tended to have a blue hue and the lighting was very inconsistent and blotchy with shadowy areas? Well that is similar to what reading on my PW is like at nighttime in a low lit room. It looks very much like one of those old 1st gen LCDs. Pretty bad. I compared reading on my iPad 3 and that was a much better experience at nighttime in a low lit room. I've never had a Kindle that lost out to an LCD before.