Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-19-2007, 02:35 AM   #16
woldinghamuk
Enthusiast
woldinghamuk doesn't litterwoldinghamuk doesn't litter

Device: ebookwise 1150 + sony reader 500
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperceptible View Post
You think im joking? I am a full grown penguin I don't joke. I have 25 off spring and I don't take kindly to the race that nearly destroyed the Earth! This is no joke we must all read and feed our knowledge to the underworld of the molerats so they can feed the fires of mount doom and satisfy the great white hand located in the center of the Earth. I do not joke my friend.

The Penguin Master
As I stated earlier the price went down. BUT: it was the price of the sony psr 500 and they are refurbished machines !!

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665262812
woldinghamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:41 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperceptible View Post
The 505 sony is only 180 dollars! Till December 19th! Come on people! Lets feed our off spring and get our readers to read to them about our history of the penguins!

The Penguin Master
Please get your facts straight:

1. It is the refurbished PRS-500 which has the rebate, not the PRS-505.

2. The original poster states that he is in India. SonyStyle do not ship internationally. Why are you recommending it to him when he cannot buy from them?

It doesn't help anybody if people post incorrect information.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2007, 07:31 AM   #18
woldinghamuk
Enthusiast
woldinghamuk doesn't litterwoldinghamuk doesn't litter

Device: ebookwise 1150 + sony reader 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please get your facts straight:

1. It is the refurbished PRS-500 which has the rebate, not the PRS-505.

2. The original poster states that he is in India. SonyStyle do not ship internationally. Why are you recommending it to him when he cannot buy from them?

It doesn't help anybody if people post incorrect information.

Thank you Harry, well written.
woldinghamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If people do wish to buy a Sony from outside the US, many people have been very happy buying from BHPhotoVideo.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #20
pbananth
Enthusiast
pbananth is on a distinguished road

Device: Ebookwise 1150,EBOOKWISE 1200,JOINTECH JE 100
"out of stock"
thanks for all the input
what about ebookwise 1150?
pbananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #21
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbananth View Post
"out of stock"
thanks for all the input
what about ebookwise 1150?
It's not an E-Ink device......if that's important to you. It sure was to me.
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #22
pbananth
Enthusiast

the difference..
will it hurt the eyes..but it also has backlight..
reading in the sun..
weight...
comfortable?
kindly comment..
thanks
Old 12-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
the difference..
will it hurt the eyes..but it also has backlight..
reading in the sun..
weight...
comfortable?
kindly comment..
thanks
I like mine really well and many folks do. It is rugged and does not hurt my eyes. Read the article on my site for more details or check the wiki. It can be read in the sun without the backlight but the contrast is not the greatest. It weighs more but is ok and comfortable. The user interface is outstanding.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:57 AM   #24
pbananth
Enthusiast

thanks
what is diff between prs-500 and 505?
Old 12-20-2007, 05:10 AM   #25
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
thanks
what is diff between prs-500 and 505?
From https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505:

Quote:
As compared to the PRS-500 the following improvements are noted. The PRS-505 has the ability to categorize books, the ability to connect to any USB port and look like a memory device / card reader, and the ability to fully charge from any USB port. The 505 has more color choices for the case, a whiter screen with more contrast, faster page turns, more gray scales (8 vs. 4) for better images, a better connect interface to the Sony store.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #26
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
I'm from India, and I have the REB 1100 and 1200.

First off, how are you going to obtain the book? Unless you have a relative/friend abroad, it isn't worthwhile to import -- shipping costs will be around $50-$60, and import duties will be on the order of 40-50% so a $300 reader can end up costing $500 or so. If you get something second hand off ebay (which I did), you MAY not be required to pay import duties. Either way, expect a timeline of 4-5 weeks after it is shipped and multiple calls to the post office (and a final trip to pay the import duties at the customs) to get it in your hands.

Also, you can't get the latest books onto the ebook legally anyway (US-only, most of the time) -- you can get the classics (from gutenberg and many other sources) and your own content -- I use it for reading technical stuff and non-fiction more than fiction. Also, considering book prices here it's often equivalent or slightly cheaper to get a paper book.

So, if you're into mostly self-generated content/non-fiction/classics then only does it make sense to buy a ebook here. As regards to E-ink vs non E-ink, I prefer the LCD tech -- you can read in night, it's cheaper (although the diff is not as much with the weaker dollar, as it was a year or so ago) and the ergonomics of the 1100/1150 are outstanding. Eink has arguably the better screen (which works in sunlight too), but it's way too costly for now and likely to get even better in the near future. I prefer to sit on the sidelines and wait it out with my current options for now
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
I'm from India, and I have the REB 1100 and 1200.

First off, how are you going to obtain the book? Unless you have a relative/friend abroad, it isn't worthwhile to import -- shipping costs will be around $50-$60, and import duties will be on the order of 40-50% so a $300 reader can end up costing $500 or so. If you get something second hand off ebay (which I did), you MAY not be required to pay import duties. Either way, expect a timeline of 4-5 weeks after it is shipped and multiple calls to the post office (and a final trip to pay the import duties at the customs) to get it in your hands.

Also, you can't get the latest books onto the ebook legally anyway (US-only, most of the time) -- you can get the classics (from gutenberg and many other sources) and your own content -- I use it for reading technical stuff and non-fiction more than fiction. Also, considering book prices here it's often equivalent or slightly cheaper to get a paper book.

So, if you're into mostly self-generated content/non-fiction/classics then only does it make sense to buy a ebook here. As regards to E-ink vs non E-ink, I prefer the LCD tech -- you can read in night, it's cheaper (although the diff is not as much with the weaker dollar, as it was a year or so ago) and the ergonomics of the 1100/1150 are outstanding. Eink has arguably the better screen (which works in sunlight too), but it's way too costly for now and likely to get even better in the near future. I prefer to sit on the sidelines and wait it out with my current options for now
There are eBook readers using eInk from Europe and China that are available in India including a dealer in Turkey but I haven't heard of an India dealers. ebooks are available globally.

I agree the 1150 is a great machine. I own one myself.

Dale
Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #28
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There are eBook readers using eInk from Europe and China that are available in India including a dealer in Turkey but I haven't heard of an India dealers. ebooks are available globally.

I agree the 1150 is a great machine. I own one myself.

Dale
dale, do you have more info on the Turkey dealer? I only know of one turkey dealer who used to do hanlins to Europe, unfortunately although the site is still up they stopped responding to emails months ago.

Im looking to buy and based in uk, do you know of any other european dealers?
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron101 View Post
dale, do you have more info on the Turkey dealer? I only know of one turkey dealer who used to do hanlins to Europe, unfortunately although the site is still up they stopped responding to emails months ago.

Im looking to buy and based in uk, do you know of any other european dealers?
Well, both iRex and Bookeen are European companies and certainly sell to the UK. I am not familiar with stores in the UK. I hadn't realized the Turkey company seems to be out of business.

Dale
Old 01-09-2008, 04:40 AM   #30
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well, both iRex and Bookeen are European companies and certainly sell to the UK. I am not familiar with stores in the UK. I hadn't realized the Turkey company seems to be out of business.

Dale
Yup, so far iRex and Bokeen, appear to be available buying online, but I do like the Sony 505, with the rate of the dollar its incredibly tempting. But you cant buy the Sony's direct, as they only sell to usa. It appears I may be able to buy one in a roundabout fashion, but if theres a problem with the device you buy, Sony will only return items to usa addresses. It seems a pity the Hanlins areant readily available either. The v9 looks very tempting (altho its not out yet), but even the v3 looks quite good value for what it does.
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote