Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #1006
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm on the third book of the Beach View Boarding House series, by Ellie Dean. These are family sagas set in Britain on the homefront during WWII, and I am addicted; I can't stop listening!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:24 AM   #1007
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished both the Crystal books, as well as Local Custom, read by Bernadette Dunne. These are well read, though we have to deal with a narrator change from the Books of Before set. These three books, the Space Regencies Sequence, include Local Custom, Scout's Progress, which I'm currently reading, and Mouse and Dragon. All read by Bernadette Dunne. All the Liaden Universe books are re-reads, and I'll be doing joint Audible and eBook reads, moving back and forth, using my Manual-Sync process of sync'ing my reading location.
Finished Mouse and Dragon. Not sure what's up next, but I must say I'm really, really enjoying these books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2014, 01:58 AM   #1008
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Anyone read Dune lately, from Audiobooks? I have almost worked/walked my way through Laurie E. Kings stories of Sherlock Holmes+ Mary Russell, narrated by Sterling.....excellent!
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #1009
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just finished the seventh and last (so far) book of the Beach View Boarding House series, by Ellie Dean. These books are set during WWII on the British homefront, with various evacuees and bombing victims coming and going at a family-owned boarding house. There's melodrama and soap opera elements and romance and historical background, and it's all blended together in a really enjoyable way. Not great literature by any means, but such fun to listen to. A couple of the books were narrated by Annie Aldington, the rest by Julie Maisey; they were fairly similar and both good with accents ranging from upper-class British, to Cockney, to Australian (at least they sounded accurate to my American ear). I'm looking forward to more in the series.

After seven WWII books in a row, I've moved on to a book set in 1950: Strings Attached, by Judy Blundell, narrated by Emma Galvin. Since I really enjoyed Blundell's What I Saw and How I Lied earlier this year, I was happy to find Strings Attached on sale at Downpour this week for $5. Both books are classified as young adult.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #1010
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #1011
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Not exactly what I'm listening to, but rather what I an thinking about buying. Some years ago, I listened to the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix, read by the excellent Tim Curry. Now Garth Nix has come out with a new Abhorsen book, "Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen". A pretty good book, btw and not at all what I was expecting. The audio book is out, but it has a different reader, Graeme Malcolm rather than Tim Curry. I've never had good luck with audiobook series where they change the reader in mid series. Ah well, I think the best thing to do is put it in my wish list and wait to see what some of the other reactions are.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #1012
Piepan
Connoisseur
Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the middle of MN
Device: Kindle Fire HD6, Kindle Fire HD (Gen1), KT (original), KK, iPhone
I finally finished the Audible edition of Written in My Own Heart's Blood .

But I chose to not only abandon but also return for refund The Jedi Doth Return. What sounded so clever and fun in the sample - a Shakespearean rendition of the Star Wars Return of the Jedi - was ultimately too much "that" (something) that I couldn't tolerate it. A very personal but visceral response which other may well not share at all (or might, whatever, just sayin').

Moving on, I have two non-fiction "self improvement" books started (groan, but they're ok), and for relief from the try-hard be my most best self blah blah blah I'm listening to How to Train Your Dragon (...educational...!!) which I bought after caving to my kid begging me for it, then he had the gall to say no he didn't really want to listen to it after all - but ha ha! the joke's on him because I am really enjoying this one.
Piepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #1013
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Finished Mouse and Dragon. Not sure what's up next, but I must say I'm really, really enjoying these books.
Having now listened all the way through the entire Liaden Universe oeuvre, I'm now listening to C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner, the first of Foreigner series, one of my all time favourites. This will be a mixed audio/ebook read, but the intent is primarily to listen, rather than read. I've already got all the books in the series, so won't have to buy any new ones. At least until they release the next one, sometime next spring I suspect. The books are all read by Daniel Thomas May who does a very good job, IMO, and many of the books are WhisperSync for Voice enabled. Though unfortunately, not all.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #1014
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
On a road trip today my wife and I heard about a third or so of Bill Nye's Funniest Thoughts by Bill Nye. Not to be confused with The Science Guy, this Bill Nye was the pen name of Edgar Wilson Nye (1850 – 1896), nineteenth century American journalist turned humorist. I was hoping the book would be better, but I guess the humor just doesn't hold up well. I'll finish it sometime when I'm alone, but I won't subject my wife to any more of it. Still, I got a kick out of it when he mentioned that another author was "a good writer. His penmanship was excellent."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #1015
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Having now listened all the way through the entire Liaden Universe oeuvre, I'm now listening to C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner, the first of Foreigner series, one of my all time favourites. This will be a mixed audio/ebook read, but the intent is primarily to listen, rather than read. I've already got all the books in the series, so won't have to buy any new ones. At least until they release the next one, sometime next spring I suspect. The books are all read by Daniel Thomas May who does a very good job, IMO, and many of the books are WhisperSync for Voice enabled. Though unfortunately, not all.
Argh, I got so caught up in this series again that I'm doing as much reading as listening. What a superb series, and the performance by Daniel Thomas May is absolutely spot on.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #1016
Piepan
Connoisseur
Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the middle of MN
Device: Kindle Fire HD6, Kindle Fire HD (Gen1), KT (original), KK, iPhone
After finishing How to Train Your Dragon, I've started the BBC dramatization of Neverwhere.
Piepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #1017
CRussel
(he/him/his)

C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner Series

Quote:
Quote:
Argh, I got so caught up in this series again that I'm doing as much reading as listening. What a superb series, and the performance by Daniel Thomas May is absolutely spot on.
Well, so far that's definitely the case. I've finished the re-listen/re-read of Foreigner, Invader, and Inheritor, and am well into Precursor. And I'm enjoying the series as much this time as last.

C.J. Cherryh is a master at creating and describing an alien culture and its interface(s) with other cultures, human or non-human. This series is entirely told in the first person of Bren Cameron, the sole human contact/interface between the foreign, human culture and the native Atevi and their planet. Humans are now restricted to a single (large) island after a devastating war that was caused by the interaction and intermingling of the humans with the Atevi. Bren's title is "padhi" (roughly, "translator") and his job is to control the flow of technology from the humans on the island to the Atevi to prevent too rapid change in the Atevi society which could lead to another war. He is the sole human who is allowed to live on the mainland.

By the point of Precursor, humans and Atevi are technologically equivalent and are moving up to the space station the humans had come down from and to which their ship has suddenly returned, after ~400 years.

What makes these books work is the consistent world view and the conflicts that result because of the biologically controlled differences in thought between the two races. They are not always fast moving, with some lengthy stream of consciousness from Bren that can get a bit much sometimes, but then things can suddenly move quite quickly. Overall, a compelling series and extremely well narrated by Daniel Thomas May. All books in the series are finally available both as eBooks and Audible books, with some of them being WhisperSync for Voice enabled if you have hardware that supports it.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #1018
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I finished listening to Dracula and now am about halfway through Rosemary's Baby, which I picked up because it's on sale at Audible. The narrator is Mia Farrow, who played Rosemary in the movie. She's giving a fairly straightforward reading, which is fine, except that her low-key Minnie Castevet performance compares unfavorably with Ruth Gordon's portrayal in the movie. But actually it's probably a good choice not to even try to channel Ruth Gordon!

Last edited by Catlady; 10-27-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #1019
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just finished another Librivox offering: Bill Nye's Funniest Thoughts by Bill Nye [pen name of Edgar Wilson Nye (1850-1896), not to be confused with you-know-who]. There was nothing there that I would call outrageously funny, but it was an enjoyable—if somewhat predictable—series of homespun tales and observations on just about everything under the sun.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #1020
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I listened to The Winter of Our Discontent, by John Steinbeck. Narrator (David Aaron Baker) was adequate, but nothing special. All the female voices sounded almost exactly alike.

I'm wanting to buy and read Alex Marwood's The Killer Next Door, since I loved her previous novel, Wicked Girls. But last year Audible had a buy-4-get-$10 promo in November, and I'm making myself wait to see if they do that again this year.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations