Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Reviews forum?

Ok, if this idea has already been forwarded or talked about before, forgive me for dragging this up, but I didn't find anything that mentioned this idea specifically, so here it is.

What do you guys think about having a reviews forum? I'm thinking that it could be placed under the "news" forum at the top, and like the news forum, it could take in posts from both mobile read members and staff.

The purpose of the forum would, of course, be for listing reviews found on the web about various ereading devices (and possibly ebooks too, but that's just an idea). I know that right now the reviews that are posted here end up in the respective ereader forums. I'm instead thinking that a centralized forum for them would work better.

The two primary reasons for this are: 1) One stop shopping. IE, you wouldn't have to hunt everywhere to find reviews on ereaders. 2) The reviews wouldn't need to be stickied in forums and wouldn't get lost in the barrage of support and information threads in each of the individual ereader forums. Forum thread titles could also be made to follow a specific format as well (similar to the free ebooks section) to simplify searching and browsing. Maybe something like "Device - Location (score if applicable or available)"

Example: Sony PRS-600 - Cnet (4.5 out of 5)

Again, this is just an idea, but I did want to toss it out for consideration.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The problem, as I see it......is that members are pretty fanatical about their respective devices.

It doesn't matter what cnet or anyone else says about the Sony, or Kobo, or what have you.

You couldn't get my K3 out of my cold dead hands. (see what I mean about fanatical? )

Any other member with a different device would probably feel the same.

E-book readers aren't like cell phones, or mp3 players......we develop a real relationship with them.

Reviews on tech sites are often done by those who don't use the devices on a daily basis......and I often wonder if they aren't sometimes 'skewed'.

Buying a device based on reviews found on the web isn't always in the best interest of the customer.

But thats just my opinion.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am with you on this DG

My device is the best (It is paid for )

My book choice are best (for me)

And Cherry Ice cream is the best flavor
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
We do have a collection place in the wiki for Hardware Reviews, both in the wiki and in the forum. This should be enough I think.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You couldn't get my K3 out of my cold dead hands. (see what I mean about fanatical? )
But that's because you refuse to follow the lightened path and try a Sony 950. Once you try a Sony 950, a butterfly will be able to remove your K3 from your death grip.

Quote:
E-book readers aren't like cell phones, or mp3 players......we develop a real relationship with them.
And here I thought your only relationship was with me. Imagine being replaced by a piece of plastic with a keyboard. Ohhh, the hurt I feel.

Quote:
Reviews on tech sites are often done by those who don't use the devices on a daily basis......and I often wonder if they aren't sometimes 'skewed'.
Seriously, this is very true. I find it frustrating that every reviewer who downgrades the Sonys because they lack wireless are adamant that wireless is a must-have feature. I, for one, don't find wireless the must-have feature; I much prefer being able to double-tap a word and have the dictionary pop up. I buy and load books maybe twice a month; it just isn't a big deal to sideload them. OTOH, I use the dictionary feature frequently.

Granted with my Sony 950, which does have wireless, I can see why people like it, but even so, I still do most of my book loading by sideloading.

I also think that most of the reviewers are gadget freaks not book lovers. Not that this is bad, but that they come at the problem from a different perspective. I come at it from the angle of what makes my reading experience easier and more pleasurable; they come at it from does the device have everything that is the state of the art or what they think is must-have state of the art.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
But that's because you refuse to follow the lightened path and try a Sony 950. Once you try a Sony 950, a butterfly will be able to remove your K3 from your death grip.

Satan, Get thee behind me!!!

And here I thought your only relationship was with me. Imagine being replaced by a piece of plastic with a keyboard. Ohhh, the hurt I feel.

How do you think my husband feels???

Seriously, this is very true. I find it frustrating that every reviewer who downgrades the Sonys because they lack wireless are adamant that wireless is a must-have feature. I, for one, don't find wireless the must-have feature; I much prefer being able to double-tap a word and have the dictionary pop up. I buy and load books maybe twice a month; it just isn't a big deal to sideload them. OTOH, I use the dictionary feature frequently.

Granted with my Sony 950, which does have wireless, I can see why people like it, but even so, I still do most of my book loading by sideloading.

I also think that most of the reviewers are gadget freaks not book lovers. Not that this is bad, but that they come at the problem from a different perspective. I come at it from the angle of what makes my reading experience easier and more pleasurable; they come at it from does the device have everything that is the state of the art or what they think is must-have state of the art.
Yeah, so there!!
Old 11-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am with you on this DG

My device is the best (It is paid for )

My book choice are best (for me)

And Cherry Ice cream is the best flavor

OH, you are so wrong......its peppermint!! (the one thing I absolutely love about the holidays.

Seriously......do I need to start a poll!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I really like the idea of an ebook review forum or a forum for book reviews in general.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I really like the idea of an ebook review forum or a forum for book reviews in general.
For books you can certainly use https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24 the ebook recommendation forum. I thought the original request was for hardware reviews of the readers.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Yeah, it was just for hardware reviews, but there was a suggestion about ebook reviews as a side thought. But I like using the ebook recommendation forum for ebook reviews, as it would certainly fit its already specified purpose.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:10 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
mine are the best, oh and chocolate is also the greatest..
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That's OK. We'll just take your hands too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OH, you are so wrong......its peppermint!! (the one thing I absolutely love about the holidays.

Seriously......do I need to start a poll!!!
You people are SICK! Big time SICK! There is no way any flavor of ice cream can be a favorite if it does not have chocolate in it. Now you know I am 100% correct. If it doesn't have chocolate, it can only be second best at best. SO THERE!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Actually, there are forums for reviews. You review a Kindle, you use the Kindle forum. You review a Sony, you use the Sony forum. You review the reading experience on an iPad, you use the Apple forum. And if you need to, you can use MORE, ALTERNATE, or GENERAL. Problem solved.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Now you know I am 100% correct.
Yes, Jon, we know you are always correct.... no matter what the topic!

pholy is offline   Reply With Quote