Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #1066
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It has been suggested before. Personally, my vote is against it. I like the fact I can put books in multiple collections but they are still shown in the full library list.
I would like to have a way to see what books I haven't put into any collections, though. Perhaps an "uncollected" view, as opposed to "collection X" (subset) or "Books" (all)?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:21 AM   #1067
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
I would like to have a more 'smart' annotation behavior that will select automatically the whole word when I select any text.
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #1068
baochan
Enthusiast
baochan doesn't litterbaochan doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Pyrus Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandafc View Post
I would like to have a more 'smart' annotation behavior that will select automatically the whole word when I select any text.
My Glo already does this, at least on the first pass (touch a word, hold for 1 or 2 seconds, drag to the end word, release) - after that you can narrow it down to individual letters but that usually gets what I want to highlight. Think it works pretty well.
baochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #1069
Angemon
Enthusiast
Angemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It has been suggested before. Personally, my vote is against it. I like the fact I can put books in multiple collections but they are still shown in the full library list.
Make it a togglable option, like he "only show downloaded items" option? I prefer to have collections for series/themes and let the library act as the "unsorted" pile for whatever is left.
Angemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #1070
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
I would like to be able to list books that are on my Touch but that I haven't read.

Last edited by Chocky; 10-03-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Clarified request.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #1071
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
I would like to be able to disable the database, and use directory navigation instead.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #1072
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
I would like to be able to disable the database, and use directory navigation instead.
Given how central the database is to so much of the firmware, I really don't see this happening.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #1073
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Given how central the database is to so much of the firmware, I really don't see this happening.
Nor do I - if you want directory-based navigation then I think you've bought the wrong ereader.

Having said that, Kobo could provide a way to navigate by author/etc using the database if they wanted to. There is already an Authors table in the database although it seems to be unpopulated for now.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #1074
Bidibulle
Enthusiast
Bidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara Hd
On the Kobo HD, there was a light button: you could easily switch on and off the light without having to set the level of light. It was very convenient.

As Kobo has removed the light button on the H2O, it would be appreciated to have a virtual button in the bottom bar menu, to switch on and off the light without having to set the level each time by gliding the finger on the left side.
It's really annoying to have to set the level of light each time you switch it on when you read everyday in the same condition of light (bedroom).
Bidibulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #1075
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not meaning to shill, but if you want to navigate by folder and not the database, then simply install and use either coolreader or KoReader.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #1076
richardl
richardl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Drag the next page into view

When looking through a PDF I'd like to be able to drag the next page straight into the display rather than fumble about with the edge of the screen. This would be particularly nice for magazines, as sometimes they have graphics that span two pages, you could just drag right to left to see the next page, on other occasions you might prefer to drag bottom to top.

I also find it is nice to keep dragging the page up slightly as I'm reading it, when horizontally the page is fully in the view but vertically is isn't, however when you get to the bottom of the page you are forced to stop dragging and change to moving your eyes down to read the last few lines of the page, which feels like an unnatural transition to me.
richardl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #1077
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Nor do I - if you want directory-based navigation then I think you've bought the wrong ereader.

Having said that, Kobo could provide a way to navigate by author/etc using the database if they wanted to. There is already an Authors table in the database although it seems to be unpopulated for now.
Not sure what you mean. You can sort the library by author which may involve paging quite a bit or you can search for the author and just list the books with that author. I find myself using search even with koreader -- 28 pages of library listing is a bit of a pain to page through since there doesn't seem to be a way to jump forward other than single page or jump to end.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:52 AM   #1078
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I find myself using search even with koreader -- 28 pages of library listing is a bit of a pain to page through since there doesn't seem to be a way to jump forward other than single page or jump to end.
You should try it with 187 pages.

I use search as well, but there are a couple of other tricks that help me keep my library under control. The most obvious is genre-based collections, but I also use two priority-based shelves ("now" and "soon") that I carry over into Goodreads. When I load a book onto the reader, I put it into all the collections it fits - basically, I ask "what kind of book is this" and "how soon do I want to read this" and shelve it accordingly.

So, for instance, say I load an urban fantasy trilogy that I want to start reading ASAP. All three books will get filed as "urban fantasy," and the first will also go onto my "now" list. Once I finish that one, I'll remove it from the reader and add book two to the appropriate priority list, depending on how I felt about the first one.

Everyone's different, of course - but that approach works for me. I currently have 15-20 "now" books and quite a lot of "soon" books, with the other books (pretty much "anything I've either read or can't just pick up and read immediately") not being on either list.

Oh, and you can also tap the "page X of Y" to jump to a given page in whatever list you're on.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #1079
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
You should try it with 187 pages.
On the Kobo side, the library is ~397 pages. The 28 pages is koreader's list of directories in my eLibrary directory (or author names since that's what the directory name is).

Quote:
Everyone's different, of course - but that approach works for me. I currently have 15-20 "now" books and quite a lot of "soon" books, with the other books (pretty much "anything I've either read or can't just pick up and read immediately") not being on either list.
I rarely have books survive long enough to need a "now" books list. The last time I remember having 20 books on my to be read list was when I downloaded Gutenberg's PG Wodehouse collection.

Quote:
Oh, and you can also tap the "page X of Y" to jump to a given page in whatever list you're on.
Works with Kobo's GUI but not with koreader which is why I was happy to have koreader add the ability to search the calibre database(s).

Last edited by DNSB; 10-18-2014 at 04:06 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:02 AM   #1080
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Not sure if this is already a feature (and I'm just missing it), but it would be great if there was a single "annotations collection" area. If I remove a book from my device, any annotations I have go with it. If there was a place where they're all collected (and remain, even if a book is removed), that would be very nice. =)
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo