Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Should I Cancel 3G and Reorder wi-fi Only?

I ordered a k3 with both wi-fi & 3G on Aug. 18. I got the 3G because while I probably don't need it now, I might in the future. Or I might sell/give it to someone who would or maybe I'd be I'd need to look something up and find there was no wi-fi available. And because someone else is paying for it.

But I've been reading the Kindle faqs at Amazon and that kind of makes me think that 3G may be more trouble than it's worth.

I expect mine to ship soon, so canceling and reordering would set me back weeks. Anyone who has the same model, is it more or less trouble than it's worth?
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
WiFi ONLY

If you have a WiFi hotspot in your home, I'd definitely only go for WiFi. All synchronizing can be done at home.

3G would only be necessary if WiFi is not present at home and / or one travels a lot.

I purchased the WiFi only model and it works great.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally, I think that 3G is very useful indeed. I use things like Wikipedia a lot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I already have a wifi kindle 3 and want a second one so I have ordered the 3G as you never know when it might be useful. I plan to keep these for a few years so thought it would be handy for holidays, thats the first reason I thought of it.

The other reason would be if I was out shopping (and my kindle stays in my handbag so comes with me everywhere) and I spotted a book I could look it up in the kindle store there and then.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
If you've got WiFi at home and you never take the Kindle out of the house then 3G support isn't going to be particularly useful for you.

However, if you do sometimes read when not at home and want the ability to download books or use the browser then the 3G option will be good.

Personally, I went with the 3G+WiFi model as I do read when not at home and I want the flexibility of having free 3G access.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

HarryT, that's what I was thinking. I may be out somewhere and decide I need to look something up. I don't have a data plan for my phone, so I would probably use the Kindle for that.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
jezebel
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The other reason would be if I was out shopping (and my kindle stays in my handbag so comes with me everywhere) and I spotted a book I could look it up in the kindle store there and then.
Bingo. That's my thinking, exactly.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
It has been almost one week since I have my 3G + WiFi Kindle and I'm yet to use 3G other than for testing. I spend most of this week withing WiFi range just like I always do.

However I don't regret having 3G because I'm sure that in the future there will be multiple times I will be able to get a book and spare myself several hours of boredom because I had 3G.

$50 is an adequate price for such convenience.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
jezebel
Fanatic

OK. I'm convinced. Thanks, you guys.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I ordered only the Wifi version but I have a 4g/3g hotspot that I care with me when I travel and I have Wifi at home too.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I had the same choice to make, I thought I would only ever need wifi so ordered that, but then few days after ordered the 3G instead, which I now have. I am happy I did so, it is far better to spend £40 extra now than regret it and end up having to shell out another £149 later. I don't regret it and love knowing its there if I need it.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Initially I ordered both the 3G and wifi as I didnt know which one to get. Over the weeks before it was released I decided on the wifi version because I couldnt see the purpose of the 3G. I have a data plan on my iphone so if I want to use the internet on the move I use that, I also have a dongle for internet on the move. I also can't imagine wanting to buy books whilst im out.

It depends on whether you think you will need/use/want the 3G.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Where I find 3G indispensable is when I'm somewhere without wifi (in my case, usually a campground) and I just finished a book and want to start the sequel. I suppose I could plan better, but that's too much work.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
i ordered the 3g+wifi version because i wanted to flexibility of being able to buy a book wherever i am. oddly, you can't seem to turn 3g or wifi off independently of each other. only all wireless on or off...

it really only becomes an issue at certain spots in my house where the kindle can't get a good wifi signal then switches to 3g and the poor little battery screams out in pain!

i know i could just "turn wireless off" entirely but then i wouldn't get my whispernet sync to my iphone app. i've tried in the passt to keep it off then remember to turn on wireless and sync before i leave the house but i usually forget. so much nicer just to leave wifi on and not worry about it.

am i missing something in settings or is this just the way it is?

karl
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #15
jezebel
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grownupboy View Post
am i missing something in settings or is this just the way it is?
I think that's just the way it is, and why I was concerned that maybe the 3G was more trouble than it was worth.