Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #31
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
One more: How many items can be seen in recent read?
Thanks
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #32
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
If you look at the current Iliad next to a Sony, you'll see that the screen of the Sony has significantly more contrast, no doubt because it's using a later generation e-Ink screen. Since the Iliad is larger, apparently the newer screen wasn't available for it. My question is: does the new Iliad use the newer screen so that it has the same contrast as the Sony/Kindle. It would be nice if it used an even newer screen with even more contrast, but as is suggested above, that apparently isn't available yet. To my mind, the biggest drawback to current e-Ink screens is the gray background.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #33
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
If you look at the current Iliad next to a Sony, you'll see that the screen of the Sony has significantly more contrast, no doubt because it's using a later generation e-Ink screen. Since the Iliad is larger, apparently the newer screen wasn't available for it. My question is: does the new Iliad use the newer screen so that it has the same contrast as the Sony/Kindle. It would be nice if it used an even newer screen with even more contrast, but as is suggested above, that apparently isn't available yet. To my mind, the biggest drawback to current e-Ink screens is the gray background.
The iLiad's switched to the same viziplex screen as the Sony/Kindle sometime around the release of the book edition so the contrast should be the same. I was able to compare a book edition to my 505 and they appeared the same.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #34
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Also could you examine how easy/difficult it is to replace the battery?

thanks
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #35
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
The iLiad's switched to the same viziplex screen as the Sony/Kindle sometime around the release of the book edition so the contrast should be the same. I was able to compare a book edition to my 505 and they appeared the same.
A lot of it has to do with the age of the screen too. eInk screens will normally fade a little bit over the first couple weeks of use. So if you're comparing a new screen with an older one, even with the same device, the contrast will be different. They're all currently using the same vizplex screens though, so contrast should be pretty close.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #36
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I'd be very interested in the ergnomics/usability areas you mentioned you will do, especial on:
  • left handed use
  • one handed use
  • "feel" of controls
And of course all the other common things already suggested...

thanks for offering to do this!
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #37
Gogolo
Addict

Quote:
Also could you examine how easy/difficult it is to replace the battery?
Battery is said not to be removable. But surely Adam first of all will unpack his screwdriver!

Gogolo
Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #38
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Adam,

Can you search within PDF's now?

What are the connectors at the bottom edge?

Great to be able to have 4 documents open at the same time.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #39
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Battery is said not to be removable. But surely Adam first of all will unpack his screwdriver!

Gogolo
I don't think that I'll disassemble a review unit. iRex may frown upon that.

Besides, I'm a software guy. Hardware has always scared me a bit.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #40
Gogolo
Addict

Was just a joke... screwdriver is for later

I look forward to your review - but I already have lost the battle about patience...

Gogolo
Old 09-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #41
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I don't think that I'll disassemble a review unit. iRex may frown upon that.

Besides, I'm a software guy. Hardware has always scared me a bit.
You don't have to open it. Simply look on the back.
For example, Cybook has a simple panel with a screw that opens battery compartment for a simple/easy replacement. It is evident just by looking at the back.

Do you see any section for a battery? Or some labels, indication for battery replacement? Manual mentions it?

thanks
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #42
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I think iRex has already said that the battery is not user replaceable, which I would assume means there is no panel/compartment.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #43
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I want to see how and if FBReader will run. Also I would like to see the speed of a webrowser in action.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #44
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I want to see how and if FBReader will run. Also I would like to see the speed of a webrowser in action.
The 1000S won't have internet access, so a web browser is out of the question.

I may see how much work it'll be to port FBReader. I'd like to get an app ported for the DR right away. FBReader would be a good choice.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #45
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
A lot of it has to do with the age of the screen too. eInk screens will normally fade a little bit over the first couple weeks of use. So if you're comparing a new screen with an older one, even with the same device, the contrast will be different. They're all currently using the same vizplex screens though, so contrast should be pretty close.
I've heard the Wacom sensor of the iLiad darkened the screen, we will have the answer by comparing the 1000 and 1000S
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote